5 Of The Most Hijacked Cars That You Should Avoid (video added)

What's a used car worth? Get an instant report today on Trade values, Retail values & historical transactions.
kingr
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 16 years 7 months
Car Make: VW, Mini, Slowyota
Car Model: Mk1 2 Door, Hilux D/C
Membership No: 3337

5 Of The Most Hijacked Cars That You Should Avoid (video added)

Post by kingr »

The unfortunate reality for South African drivers is among the many factors that go into deciding on your next purchase, like fuel economy and performance, is the genuine possibility of crime associated with your particular car of choice. The easily avoidable corroboratory effect is the increase in insurance costs that stems from the increased risk in insuring your car. As much as we love to rag the big insurers, those risk assessments paint an accurate picture. Currently, car-theft in South Africa has reached and may look to exceed levels never seen before. An added blow to South African motorists, is their most loved brands are also the most susceptible to hijacking and come with pricey premiums.

If the risk of crime is not on your priority list when buying a car, here's a scary reminder. Take a look at South Africa's 5 most hijack-friendly cars that you should avoid with some attractive alternatives as well as the importance of your VIN number check - the easiest stolen car check method.

South Africa's Hijacking Epidemic
In the same period that spawned the Academy Award-winning movie Tsotsi that mirrors this epidemic, from the late '90s until 2011 car theft was at its worst with a hijacking occurring every 40-54 minutes at its zenith, but overall declining. Placing us among Mexico, Uruguay, Spain and even the U.S. as the countries with the highest rate (per 100,000 people) of hijacking. The 2011-2012 year saw some reprieve with car theft at its lowest, but still ludicrous, level with 9,107 cars reported stolen. But that scourge has returned with a vengeance. We're now seeing numbers that match or exceed the previous levels of the early 2000s. In 2017 hijackings jumped by 14.5% from the last year to 16,717 cars reported stolen, meaning a South African was a victim of car theft every 32 minutes. Those are statistics from SAPS who concede that that number could be higher, since not all car thefts were reported. According to surveys, 22.6% of victims solve the crime themselves, and 23.6% didn't report the robbery at all because they believed SAPS were incapable of helping them. What's even more worrying, according to vehicle tracking companies and security experts, is the rising incidence of violence and kidnapping associated with car theft - 75% of hijackings reported in 2017 the perpetrator used a firearm. Every day we see the viral videos of brazen daylight attempts of hijackers, criminals changing out tyres faster than an F1 pit-crew and the tragedies that briefly unite a nation like the skeletal remains of an APR Stage 3 Golf 7R.

While carjacking did drop marginally last year (2.3%), many expect the situation to worsen rather than improve as crime, particularly in SA, in general being a complex, multi-variegated problem in it of itself. Of all the cars that were stolen in 2017, it's estimated that 57% make their way across the border and 36% of these stolen vehicles come back as clones. According to Datadot of the total amount of cars travelling on South African roads, 1.2 million of these are cloned, duplicated or have stolen components in them - which is why doing VIN number check is so essential for doing a stolen car check. All this contributes to the estimated R8.5 billion the South African economy loses annually to auto-theft.

1. Volkswagen Polo/Polo Vivo:

South Africa's best selling Polo and Polo Vivo are also the most hijacked passenger cars, according to C-Track. Volkswagen is also the most targeted manufacturer among car thieves, with 35% of passenger cars stolen attributed to the German brand. VW's popularity and the high demand for parts, as well as their reliability, also make it a prime target among car thieves. However, the VW Polo, along with Toyota Yaris, are still some of the cheapest cars to insure in South Africa.

If you're looking for a possible alternative to the Polo, Ford Figo/Fiesta, Renault Clio, Suzuki Ignis, Hyundai i20 and Toyota Etios are attractive options with similar performance figures and dimensions with the added security of being the least afflicted manufacturer of car theft, although Ford is ranked the third most targeted manufacturer behind Toyota for car theft and made headlines recently with comprised door locks.

2. Toyota Fortuner:

South Africa's most loved brand is also one of the most targeted brands. The Toyota Fortuner is the most stolen sport utility/luxury SUV in South Africa - contributing 55% of reported SUVs stolen with the Fortuner being the most popular. Much like VW, the popularity and reliability of Toyota's make it attractive, as well as the interchangeability of parts with other Toyota models. The Japanese manufacturer is also the second most stolen passenger car brand, with the Corolla a popular target. A VIN number check not only acts as a stolen car check method but can also inform you if any of those stolen Toyota parts have reached your vehicle.

Few 7-seater SUVs can hold a candle to the Toyota Fortuner, but the risk associated with the car might make you consider the Ford Everest, Isuzu mu-X and Mitsubishi Pajero Sport as alternatives.

3. Toyota Hilux:

A cultural icon and the best selling bakkie in South Africa is also the most commonly stolen light delivery vehicle. The much-loved workhorse accounted for almost 39% of total bakkie theft in 2017.

As far as alternatives go, the obvious suggestion would be the Ford Ranger; however, the Ranger is also highly popular with car thieves. The Amarok and Mazda BT-50 might tempt you, but I wouldn't look over the highly affordable options of Tata and Mahindra too quickly.

4. Ford Ranger:

Another much-loved workhorse and second best selling bakkie in South Africa is also unsurprisingly a popular target. A majority of these stolen vehicles are either cloned or duplicated and sold as second-hand cars, so be wary of those second-hand deals with the Ranger as well as the Hilux. Do a VIN number check not only to obtain the cars full history but as well as a stolen car check method.

5. BMW X5:

The X5 topped the best selling large luxury SUV segment in February 2019, and South Africa is one of its most profitable markets. Luxury vehicles can attract the wrong kind of attention, and the X5 is a highly attractive target. The X5 also tops the list of the most stolen large luxury SUVs in South Africa.

The highly competitive premium large SUV segment gives us a plethora of possible options. The new Audi Q8, Range Rover Velar, Mercedes-Benz GLE, Volvo XC90 and Maserati Levante should also give you pause for thought.

Why should you do a VIN number check?

The Vehicle Identification Number is a 17 digit/letter sequence that’s wholly unique to each individual car that’s located on your license disk and usually on the inside of driver’s side door. Doing a VIN number check will give you the comprehensive history of your car including; the name and location of the manufacturer, the model year and engine displacement. If you’re buying a secondhand vehicle, doing a VIN number check will give valuable information about the vehicles accident and maintenance history as well as previous owners - the easiest stolen car check method. Your VIN number is also needed in insuring your vehicle and making claims for warranty service. If you’re the owner or looking to buy a car that’s been flagged for a product recall, doing a VIN number check will let you know if your vehicle is part of that recall or had the faulty components replaced. Besides being an easy stolen car check method, doing a VIN number check also allows you to verify, particularly in the case of buying a secondhand car, whether the odometer or certain parts have been tampered with.

Summary:

Ultimately, regardless of the car you own, the only way to mitigate against falling victim to hijacking and car theft is being aware and investing in the safety and security of your vehicle. Simple preventions like parking inside a garage or getting a tracking system also has the benefit of potentially reducing your risk profile and the premiums you pay. If you're buying a second-hand car, one of the easiest ways of detecting red flags is by doing a VIN number check.
Last edited by kingr on Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kurt #3337

Current:
- 10" Mx5 NC2 (main daily)
- 12" Toyota Hilux D/C 2.5tdi 4x4 (tow car / vacay)
- 2020 Mini Cooper S Clubman (swambo)
- 80" VW Mk1 2 Door Golf 8vt project 192wkw/314nm

Ex: 07" G5 GTi, 13" ST180, 03" Mk4 2 door 1.8T Stage 2, 07" Velo 1.6, 83" Mk1 GT 2.0 8v MP9, 87" Mk1 1.6 CitiSport, 88" Mk2 2.0 16v, 83" Mk1 GT 1.6 + 40 webers
G-spot
Committee Member
Registered for: 16 years 6 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Audi S3 Sedan
Membership No: 1215

Re: 5 Of The Most Hijacked Cars That You Should Avoid

Post by G-spot »

If anyone ever had to go identify a recovered vehicle at a police impound lot they can confirm that all cars are targeted.
I could not tell that there were one car/brand more than another, Bakkies or hatch backs. There were tons of every car you can imagine. Old, new, big small, cheap, expensive, you name it.

These articles always make it seem that its some how safer to buy , say a, I20. But if you look at the impound yards there are as many I20's as polos. As many Isuzu's as Hilux'/Rangers.

Even then the SAPS officer told me when my wife's polo was stolen that stolen cars are proportionate the the amount of sales, The more there are, The higher the demand/ The more targets. Effectively Fortuners and Polos gets scaled so much because there is so many of them to steal. But in reality alternatives a no safer in SA than the popular cars.
Grant Hendry
Membership no.:1215

Current:
2016 Audi S3 Sedan
1978 VW Golf 1100 GL
Ex:
2012 VW Golf GTI Edition 35
2007 VW Golf GTI
2006 Polo 1.9 TDI Sportline
2012 VW Polo GTI
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

A good reason then to go buy a Haval or Mahindra.

I bet very few are found at the police recovery yard.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
amstel18
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Car Model: Tiguan Allspace
Membership No: missing

Post by amstel18 »

missioner wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:55 am A good reason then to go buy a Haval or Mahindra.

I bet very few are found at the police recovery yard.
Because not even the skelms want them :lol: :lol:
Current:
2022 GWM P-Series LT 4x4
Ex:
2018 VW Tiguan Allspace
2013 Audi A3 Sportback 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
2015 Pure White 1.2tsi Comfortline
2011 2L BiTdi ROK D/C Highline
2006 Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI
91 Caddy, ADY motor on mp9, wildcat 4-1 branch and 50mm Evolution s/s exhaust
96 1600 Chico (sold)
Belix
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Model: Passat B8

Post by Belix »

From a discussion I had with an insurance agent once, the number of stolen cars should be compared with the number of that vehicle that are sold. It stands to reason that the most sold car would have the most thefts. To me, a more meaningful figure would be a percentage of vehicle sales that are stolen / hijacked - like 1 in 100 polo's are hijacked as compared to 1 in 20 corollas for example. Are your chances of being hijacked in a polo more or less than the chances in a Haval? There are more polo's hijacked, but there are more around, so less chance your polo specifically would be hijacked as apposed to another down the road - whereas with a Haval, far less are hijacked, but since there are few on the road to start with, the chances your specific haval would be hijacked?
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Belix wrote:From a discussion I had with an insurance agent once, the number of stolen cars should be compared with the number of that vehicle that are sold. It stands to reason that the most sold car would have the most thefts. To me, a more meaningful figure would be a percentage of vehicle sales that are stolen / hijacked - like 1 in 100 polo's are hijacked as compared to 1 in 20 corollas for example. Are your chances of being hijacked in a polo more or less than the chances in a Haval? There are more polo's hijacked, but there are more around, so less chance your polo specifically would be hijacked as apposed to another down the road - whereas with a Haval, far less are hijacked, but since there are few on the road to start with, the chances your specific haval would be hijacked?
You make a valid point.

Looking at the percentage of vehicles that are hijacked vs the number of vehicles of that type on the road, I see your point.

It's still not gonna get me to buy any polos younger than a 2005 model, even if I had the money to own one. The perceived risk is greater. Also its likely that my wife would be the driver of such a vehicle as I would drive the old scrap and she would have the newer vehicle, that is a risk I'm not prepared to place on her no matter how low the chance is of it being stolen is statistically.

I would rather purchase a car for her that's at the lowest possible risk of being away by any means.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
G-spot
Committee Member
Registered for: 16 years 6 months
Car Model: Audi S3 Sedan
Membership No: 1215

Post by G-spot »

missioner wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:08 am I would rather purchase a car for her that's at the lowest possible risk of being away by any means.
Back to my original point, Based on the country you live in there is no such thing really.

In my opinion I would rather have a car that's easily stolen like a polo or a Hilux, rather than something that gets hijacked.

In reality if they want your car they are going to take it.
Grant Hendry
Membership no.:1215

Current:
2016 Audi S3 Sedan
1978 VW Golf 1100 GL
Ex:
2012 VW Golf GTI Edition 35
2007 VW Golf GTI
2006 Polo 1.9 TDI Sportline
2012 VW Polo GTI
Ram013
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 8 months
Car Model: Allspace 2.0 TSI Highline

Post by Ram013 »

missioner wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:08 am
Belix wrote:From a discussion I had with an insurance agent once, the number of stolen cars should be compared with the number of that vehicle that are sold. It stands to reason that the most sold car would have the most thefts. To me, a more meaningful figure would be a percentage of vehicle sales that are stolen / hijacked - like 1 in 100 polo's are hijacked as compared to 1 in 20 corollas for example. Are your chances of being hijacked in a polo more or less than the chances in a Haval? There are more polo's hijacked, but there are more around, so less chance your polo specifically would be hijacked as apposed to another down the road - whereas with a Haval, far less are hijacked, but since there are few on the road to start with, the chances your specific haval would be hijacked?
You make a valid point.

Looking at the percentage of vehicles that are hijacked vs the number of vehicles of that type on the road, I see your point.

It's still not gonna get me to buy any polos younger than a 2005 model, even if I had the money to own one. The perceived risk is greater. Also its likely that my wife would be the driver of such a vehicle as I would drive the old scrap and she would have the newer vehicle, that is a risk I'm not prepared to place on her no matter how low the chance is of it being stolen is statistically.

I would rather purchase a car for her that's at the lowest possible risk of being away by any means.
+1
Ex:
'09 Mk5 GTI DSG(My definition of happiness)
'02 Polo Classic 1.6
'98 Fiesta 1.3(Ford, never again)
'90 Sentra 1.3
Wolfburger
Cadet
Registered for: 7 years 11 months
Car Model: 6C Cross Polo

Post by Wolfburger »

G-spot wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:47 am
missioner wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:08 am I would rather purchase a car for her that's at the lowest possible risk of being away by any means.
In reality if they want your car they are going to take it.
Even more Validuh... :(
Current: 2015 6C Cross Polo TSI(Honey Orange) - Ginger
2009 Golf 5 GTI DSG - OEM Look - Sold
2007 Polo 9N3 Black Magic - Sold
1998 Bottle Green Jetta VR6 Executive - So
ld
Admin to : https://www.facebook.com/pg/ScenePointsSa
mueneni12
Cadet
Registered for: 13 years 7 months
Car Model: MK6 GTI

Post by mueneni12 »

There is such a thing a high risk car, yes it might be that they are also the most sold but does not eliminate the fact that it is high risk.

Try go park a hilux/landcruiser in an area without proper security and see if it will be there in a couple of hours.

I cannot bear driving a toyota or polo in Jhb, it is too stressful.
Tommy
Daily: 2010 MK6 GTI Tornado Red
Occasional: 2014 Audi A8 V8 aka The Boat
Ego-stroker: 2007 Touareg V10
Hers: 2015 Honda Accord 3.5 Exclusive
Truck: 2013 Hilux V6 4.0 Heritage Edition
Sold: 2007 MK5 GTI Tornado Red
Stolen: 2015 Toyota Landcruiser V8 SC aka The Beast
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 1 month
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

Vehicle theft is a business (besides the okes who use stolen vehicles for heists, etc). If there's an "order" for a certain vehicle, that order will be fulfilled.

Agree with Belix. It mostly comes down to how many vehicles of a certain type are sold.
Example, if 1 million polos have been sold, more chances of people seeking polo spares hence a theft occurs.
Most thieves don't steal cars to use them, they steal it to strip them up or sell to somebody who would strip them up.

And by the way, not all vehicles that are impounded are stolen.

There are quite a few documentaries around on vehicle theft.

Recently carte blanch uploaded on YouTube regarding vehicle theft and tracking companies.
Apparently the tracker companies have sub contractors who recover vehicles for them. And some of those contractors aren't even authorized or capable of doing so due to inadequate training etc.. Shocking stuff.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
Trishen94
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 5 months
Car Model: Mk5 gti

Post by Trishen94 »

Ashveer03 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:45 am
Recently carte blanch uploaded on YouTube regarding vehicle theft and tracking companies.
Apparently the tracker companies have sub contractors who recover vehicles for them. And some of those contractors aren't even authorized or capable of doing so due to inadequate training etc.. Shocking stuff.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
I saw that episode on cart blanch most of the guys are regular people like us who dont even own a firearm and some use their private firearms for doing the recovery which is illegal .there was 1 guy who didnt even have a certificate so he was working illegally And they also go out to do recoveries alone with no firearm lmao which hijacker does not own a gun and if they steal a vehicle its most often more than 1 person doing the job but these wana be chuck noris go out naked lmao not many guys out there would win a fight with 2 people also dodge bullets from 2 guns simultaneously and not be able to fire back freakn dom i tell u
Current :2008 S3 8P (panic mechanic +thanas) 227kw /309hp 473nm
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=217296

Ex :2008 mk5 gti ... really miss this car

Previous :too many to list
kingr
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 16 years 7 months
Car Make: VW, Mini, Slowyota
Car Model: Mk1 2 Door, Hilux D/C
Membership No: 3337

Re: 5 Of The Most Hijacked Cars That You Should Avoid (video added)

Post by kingr »

Kurt #3337

Current:
- 10" Mx5 NC2 (main daily)
- 12" Toyota Hilux D/C 2.5tdi 4x4 (tow car / vacay)
- 2020 Mini Cooper S Clubman (swambo)
- 80" VW Mk1 2 Door Golf 8vt project 192wkw/314nm

Ex: 07" G5 GTi, 13" ST180, 03" Mk4 2 door 1.8T Stage 2, 07" Velo 1.6, 83" Mk1 GT 2.0 8v MP9, 87" Mk1 1.6 CitiSport, 88" Mk2 2.0 16v, 83" Mk1 GT 1.6 + 40 webers