Has The New BMW 1-Series Lost The Plot?

What's a used car worth? Get an instant report today on Trade values, Retail values & historical transactions.
kingr
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 16 years 7 months
Car Make: VW, Mini, Slowyota
Car Model: Mk1 2 Door, Hilux D/C
Membership No: 3337

Has The New BMW 1-Series Lost The Plot?

Post by kingr »

The highly anticipated BMW 1-Series is set to launch in September of this year, and from its genesis, the third-generation of hatchbacks from the Munich-based manufacturer has been a radical departure from its predecessor. However, BMW’s new direction has alienated fans from what traditionally has always made the 1-Series massively appealing in the competitive premium hatch segment. Those of you who are driving the current F20/F21 generation may be in possession of a piece of BMW history - perhaps the last rear-wheel-drive 1-Series.

For South African drivers, in particular, you may want to hold out on your upgrade.

What We Know So Far:

Exterior:

The exterior of the new 2020 BMW 1-Series follows the same design language of BMW’s other latest offerings. The 1-Series has the same masculine frontal fascia of the 3-Series. The grille adopts larger BMW kidneys that sit closer together along with more prominent character lines that give an overall aggressive appearance. The shorter bonnet and rumpy fenders add to the menacing mien of the 1-Series. Despite the controversial change to a FWD (front-wheel drive) system which has increased the size of the cabin, the wheelbase of the 1-Series has actually shrunk - which would explain its somewhat stocky appearance.

There are several design variants depending on the trim. Naturally, the M135i xDrive provides the biggest visual punch. Black decals, glossy accents and carbon fibre rear diffuser adorn its canvas. 18 to 19-inch matte black or two-tone rims, depending on the size of your wallet, with red callipers create a striking presence on the road. However, we don’t think Mercedes-Benz will be losing much sleep over the M135i’s design. In fact, they may be reassured with their own design philosophy because at a glance the M135i with the M Performance Pack additions actually somewhat resembles the A45 AMG - particularly with that rear spoiler.

The rear look of the 1-Series is divisive and where the FWD arrangement may have compromised the 1-Series’ design. The rear mimics the aggressive overall profile of the 1-Series, but if you hide the rear L-shaped headlights it could be mistaken for the X2 Active Tourer. With the additional headroom, legroom, and boot space, BMW does well to hide potential bulky estate-looking exterior. From the rear profile, not so much. Although, you do have the option of changing out the standard 90mm diameter exhaust to a twin 100mm exhaust system that you see on the M135i.

The blocky design may have a few BMW fans excited about a possible return to the much-loved box shapes of the BMW E30 generation, but judging by BMW’s design philosophy for the X-line and other recent facelifts, that seems unlikely.

Interior:

The only area where the controversial switch to a FWD platform pays dividends is in the cabin. The 33mm of extra legroom for rear passengers, 19mm more headroom and 13mm of extra elbow room means the new 1-Series is a good long distance travelling companion. The added ambience of the interior is a significant improvement from the somewhat cramped feeling of the previous 1-Series - one of the few complaints from owners. BMW highlights this aspect; the 1-Series is larger and more practical than the fresh Mercedes-Benz A-Class and on-par with the VW Golf. No longer will the BMW 1-Series be seen as a nonconformist among family hatchback options. The increased boot space and ample cabin set it apart from other German contenders in the premium hatchback segment, no doubt. However, to get the “all-new” features of the 1-Series, such as the electric tailgate and panoramic sunroof, comes with a hefty price-tag.

The dashboard will look familiar to other BMW’s recent offerings, like the new 3-Series. Analogue dials come standard with a 5.1-inch screen for infotainment and basic navigation information. The Live Cockpit Professional upgrade grants you a full digital cluster in a high-res 10.25-inch display with an optional heads-up display that's projected on the windscreen. The standard 8.8-inch touchscreen (which can also be upgraded) runs the sophisticated and reliable BMW iDrive OS. Besides the familiar rotary dial, BMW also grants additional driver control through gesture and voice command.

Engines:

The engine line-up sees a focus around BMW’s diesel selection with three different options to choose from with a pair of petrol engines. The efficient entry-level 116d will house a 1.5-litre 85kW/270Nm diesel engine with a fuel economy of 3.8L/100km. Should you choose the 118d you’ll be rewarded with a 2.0-litre, 110kW/350Nm capable diesel engine. The starter petrol engine 118i features a 103kW/220Nm 1.5-litre three-cylinder displacement mated with either a six-speed manual or seven-speed automatic. Both entry-level engines send their power to the front wheels. Rather than keeping what's always made the 1-Series distinctive in its class, its now just a run-of-the-mill front-wheel-drive hatchback. Should you choose to beef up your diesel capabilities, the 120d xDrive comes with a four-cylinder 2.0-litre engine. A decent 110kW/400Nm output mated to a standard 8-speed transmission that delivers its power to all four wheels.

The heavy hitting M135i has dropped a weight-class, forgoing the maniacal six-cylinder 3.0l engine of the old M140i. It may be smaller but this new hot hatch has eye-watering performance figures and does have the attractive label of being BMW’s most powerful 4-cylinder engine ever made. The 2.0-litre four-cylinder petrol engine is the same unit in the X2 M35i xDrive and will deliver 225kW/450Nm to all four of its wheels. Sending the M135i from a standstill to 100kph in 4.8 seconds and maxing out at a top speed of 250kph. Although it's a small but noticeable drop in performance from the 4.4 seconds, 250kW capable straight-six engine of the M140i, the new M135i still ranks among the elite of hot hatches. The M Performance Pack is capable of shaving that sprint time by a fraction (4.7 seconds 0-100), but again, with a hefty price tag.

Performance:

The area of controversy and perhaps the ultimate deal breaker among fans is underneath the hood of the new 1-Series.

What is xDrive?

BMW’s xDrive system is by no means new. The AWD system can be found as far back as the 2005 5-Series and 2006 3-Series, but it has never been the main feature of BMWs line-up. However, that's begun to change as BMW has gradually expanded its availability across its whole line-up to better compete with Audi’s Quattro and VW’s 4Motion systems. The AWD system is standard with the X1 to X7 luxury SUVs and is no longer an optional extra as we’ve seen before.

Like other similar AWD systems, xDrive allows a variable-torque split between the front and rear axles. The ABS/DSC will detect wheel-spin or directional instability and efficiently distribute power to either the front or rear axles to regain driver control. The xDrive arrangement is connected to the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) system which can brake each wheel independently to regain traction and directional control without the driver having to do a thing.

Besides the sad ending to BMW’s RWD (rear-wheel-drive) system, the xDrive platform that comes with M135i and 120d has South Africans clicking their tongues too. The rationale behind it is not only confusing but slightly condescending towards BMW drivers. According to BMW Head Designer, customers weren’t even aware nor cared that previous 1-Series hatches were RWD. For South Africans that don’t drive in snowy or limited traction conditions, the xDrive system isn’t much of a selling point. You could try to replicate the incredible VW Haldex 4Motion system of the Golf 7 R or stick with what makes BMW hatches incredibly fun to drive. Sticking the tail out around the corners.

Price:

BMW South Africa has remained tightlipped about the price and their website doesn’t offer much for a good guess-stimate. However, in the U.K. prices are expected to start at around R430,000 reaching R540,000 for the top-tier trims. Those numbers are a good range for what South Africans can expect when the 1-Series hits our shores in September 2019.

Summary:

The #NextGen (social media marketing whizzes at BMW have appropriately called it) of 1-Series’ is no doubt a radical departure from the previous generation. But is that radical departure a step in the wrong direction? For South African fans, in particular, is the FWD setup a dealbreaker? I guess we’ll find out in three months time!
Kurt #3337

Current:
- 10" Mx5 NC2 (main daily)
- 12" Toyota Hilux D/C 2.5tdi 4x4 (tow car / vacay)
- 2020 Mini Cooper S Clubman (swambo)
- 80" VW Mk1 2 Door Golf 8vt project 192wkw/314nm

Ex: 07" G5 GTi, 13" ST180, 03" Mk4 2 door 1.8T Stage 2, 07" Velo 1.6, 83" Mk1 GT 2.0 8v MP9, 87" Mk1 1.6 CitiSport, 88" Mk2 2.0 16v, 83" Mk1 GT 1.6 + 40 webers
Ram013
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 8 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Allspace 2.0 TSI Highline

Re: Has The New BMW 1-Series Lost The Plot?

Post by Ram013 »

I had to chuckle at the switch to FWD but I suppose we shouldn't be too surprised as the 2 series active tourer was the start.
Ex:
'09 Mk5 GTI DSG(My definition of happiness)
'02 Polo Classic 1.6
'98 Fiesta 1.3(Ford, never again)
'90 Sentra 1.3
Sebz
Lieutenant
Registered for: 9 years 9 months
Car Make: BMW
Car Model: 135i E82 N54 ST 6MT
Membership No: 3020

Post by Sebz »

I thought I saw this coming years ago when they resurrected the Mini badge and then when they first released the 1-series and many of the mommies who bought them didn't know what kind of drive-train they had. However, I never wanted to believe it. Yet, it never made economic sense to compete in this segment with a layout that reduces boot space and makes the car more exciting for people who usually don't even know what tyres they run.

However, for the enthusiast, it's really disappointing to see this happen. A RWD M135i is a beautiful machine to drive and is the most attainable 'proper' BMW available. Now, that's gone too and it's becoming more and more blatantly obvious that big business cares more about sales than about satisfying their loyal and passionate fans. We all knew this, but companies seem to be getting more blase about it.

Really disappointing IMO.
Single turbo BMW 135i N54 6MT

Ex's:
Brilliant BMW 135i E82 N55 6MT
Stupidly static THANAS Tuned '05 Audi A4 B7 2.0T FSi

Definitely down-to-earth '03 Audi A3 8L 1.8T
Ludicrously lowered K04 '03 Audi A4 Avant B6 1.8T
Sorta slammed '15 VW Polo Vivo GT 1.6
Stock standard '05 Opel Corsa D Ute 1.4
Ridiculously reliable '81 VW Passat CSL Estate 2.2 5-pot

It's not how you stand by your car; it's how you scrape your car. You better learn that.
Ram013
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 8 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Allspace 2.0 TSI Highline

Post by Ram013 »

Interesting how both the RWD greats swapped their strategy over the years when they realised there is greater volume (and of course profit) in the lower segments.

Sad indeed.
Ex:
'09 Mk5 GTI DSG(My definition of happiness)
'02 Polo Classic 1.6
'98 Fiesta 1.3(Ford, never again)
'90 Sentra 1.3
Hoosier Daddy
Colonel
Registered for: 11 years 2 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Golf VI R
Membership No: 2023

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

BMW lost the plot a while ago when they started segmenting their best offerings
My Dream: Gipsy Danger
My First Love: Lucy
Nikz_tsc wrote:Don't be an elachi bhai
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years

Post by VAG Fan »

As far as I'm concerned, the 1 series never had a plot.
*flame suit on*
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
kingr
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 16 years 7 months
Car Make: VW, Mini, Slowyota
Car Model: Mk1 2 Door, Hilux D/C
Membership No: 3337

Post by kingr »

It's plot has always been the entry-level car into the BMW brand that offered all the characteristics you can expect from a BMW car. Well now that RWD is gone, I guess you getting a different product altogether.

I drive a 2013 F20 118i and I must say this car is actually quite usable and makes an excellent daily driver, will pick it any day over a Golf 7 (Ok I will say Yes to a Clubsport Gti :oops: ).
VAG Fan wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:40 am As far as I'm concerned, the 1 series never had a plot.
*flame suit on*
Kurt #3337

Current:
- 10" Mx5 NC2 (main daily)
- 12" Toyota Hilux D/C 2.5tdi 4x4 (tow car / vacay)
- 2020 Mini Cooper S Clubman (swambo)
- 80" VW Mk1 2 Door Golf 8vt project 192wkw/314nm

Ex: 07" G5 GTi, 13" ST180, 03" Mk4 2 door 1.8T Stage 2, 07" Velo 1.6, 83" Mk1 GT 2.0 8v MP9, 87" Mk1 1.6 CitiSport, 88" Mk2 2.0 16v, 83" Mk1 GT 1.6 + 40 webers