Watch - WesBank Private vehicle finance explained

What's a used car worth? Get an instant report today on Trade values, Retail values & historical transactions.
kingr
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 16 years 7 months
Car Make: VW, Mini, Slowyota
Car Model: Mk1 2 Door, Hilux D/C
Membership No: 3337

Watch - WesBank Private vehicle finance explained

Post by kingr »

How does Wesbank private car finance work?
In this video we explain the entire process on how to finance a vehicle privately with WesBank.

It used to be that the only time one could apply for car finance was when buying a car at a dealership, WesBank is now extending the service to private car transactions too. This is great news for buyers and sellers, as there is a huge second-hand car market in SA, with an equally large percentage involving private deals.

Watch Video

Kurt #3337

Current:
- 10" Mx5 NC2 (main daily)
- 12" Toyota Hilux D/C 2.5tdi 4x4 (tow car / vacay)
- 2020 Mini Cooper S Clubman (swambo)
- 80" VW Mk1 2 Door Golf 8vt project 192wkw/314nm

Ex: 07" G5 GTi, 13" ST180, 03" Mk4 2 door 1.8T Stage 2, 07" Velo 1.6, 83" Mk1 GT 2.0 8v MP9, 87" Mk1 1.6 CitiSport, 88" Mk2 2.0 16v, 83" Mk1 GT 1.6 + 40 webers
Mass
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years

Re: Watch - WesBank Private vehicle finance explained

Post by Mass »

What are the additional fees when financing privately through Wesbank ? A few years ago Wesbank used to use Titleguard to facilitate the transaction, so that was an additional R5k and would insist that you take out an aftermarket warranty on cars out of motor plan. Do they still do this?
Wolfburger
Cadet
Registered for: 7 years 11 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 6C Cross Polo

Post by Wolfburger »

A friend of mine did this was relatively quick and hassle free - provided that the technical report and roadworthy test is in order - should take no longer then 2 days if all is in order. They will insist on a aftermarket warranty and they will offer you Motorite - i'd suggest you take you own one out as the one they offer is a upfront 6-8k cash which gets included in the princple debt which will incur interest as well.
Current: 2015 6C Cross Polo TSI(Honey Orange) - Ginger
2009 Golf 5 GTI DSG - OEM Look - Sold
2007 Polo 9N3 Black Magic - Sold
1998 Bottle Green Jetta VR6 Executive - So
ld
Admin to : https://www.facebook.com/pg/ScenePointsSa
Titleists
Philosopher STIG
Registered for: 14 years 7 months
Car Model: 2016 Golf R
Membership No: 1520

Post by Titleists »

MFC does the transaction for you thus saving the facilitation fee
VCDS changes done by me for a minimal fee

My ex rides:

2013 LHD Scirocco R
2011 Golf 6 GTI
kingr
VWCSA Member

Post by kingr »

WesBank does not charge any "admin", "on the road" or "facilitation" fee. The buyer and seller just need to cover the required multipoint check and roadworthy test.

There's is really no hidden fees, an extended warranty does not count as a hidden fee.

Most banks got rid of third-party companies that facilitate private-to-private deals. They've realised that a signed multipoint check by the buyer that's been conducted by an OEM dealer / Dekra center is enough for them to finance the car. Obviously they will do due diligence and check that's the car is not currently financed or stolen.

The rest of the research the buyer needs to conduct himself, so you can use our VIN number check tool to see the accident/body repair history and the car book value if you're not sure if it's a fair deal.
Kurt #3337

Current:

Ex: 07" G5 GTi, 13" ST180, 03" Mk4 2 door 1.8T Stage 2, 07" Velo 1.6, 83" Mk1 GT 2.0 8v MP9, 87" Mk1 1.6 CitiSport, 88" Mk2 2.0 16v, 83" Mk1 GT 1.6 + 40 webers
2SCOOPS
Cadet
Registered for: 13 years 2 months

Post by 2SCOOPS »

Mass wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:06 am What are the additional fees when financing privately through Wesbank ? A few years ago Wesbank used to use Titleguard to facilitate the transaction, so that was an additional R5k and would insist that you take out an aftermarket warranty on cars out of motor plan. Do they still do this?
One of the worst companies I have dealt with :bang:
Current:
2012 VW Golf 6R DSG
2011 BMW E90 320d M Sport Auto
Ex
2009 VW Golf 5 GTI DSG
2014 VW Golf 7 Gti
2010 Honda Civic Type R - Championship Edition
2011 VW Golf 6 GTI DSG
2003 RunX RSi(RIP) :weep:
1998 Civic VTEC
2SCOOPS
Cadet

Post by 2SCOOPS »

Wolfburger wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:07 am A friend of mine did this was relatively quick and hassle free - provided that the technical report and roadworthy test is in order - should take no longer then 2 days if all is in order. They will insist on a aftermarket warranty and they will offer you Motorite - i'd suggest you take you own one out as the one they offer is a upfront 6-8k cash which gets included in the princple debt which will incur interest as well.
not a necessity to take the aftermarket warranty. just ask them to exclude form finance deal and thereafter your choice if you want to purchase one or not.
Current:
2012 VW Golf 6R DSG
Ex
2009 VW Golf 5 GTI DSG
2014 VW Golf 7 Gti
2011 VW Golf 6 GTI DSG
1998 Civic VTEC
Wolfburger
Cadet

Post by Wolfburger »

2SCOOPS wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:13 pm
Wolfburger wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:07 am A friend of mine did this was relatively quick and hassle free - provided that the technical report and roadworthy test is in order - should take no longer then 2 days if all is in order. They will insist on a aftermarket warranty and they will offer you Motorite - i'd suggest you take you own one out as the one they offer is a upfront 6-8k cash which gets included in the princple debt which will incur interest as well.
not a necessity to take the aftermarket warranty. just ask them to exclude form finance deal and thereafter your choice if you want to purchase one or not.
Exactly what i just said.
ld
2SCOOPS
Cadet

Post by 2SCOOPS »

Wolfburger wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:15 pm
2SCOOPS wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:13 pm
Exactly what i just said.
:thumbup:
Current:
2012 VW Golf 6R DSG
Ex
2009 VW Golf 5 GTI DSG
2014 VW Golf 7 Gti
2011 VW Golf 6 GTI DSG
1998 Civic VTEC
kingr
VWCSA Member

Post by kingr »

Extended warranties are required by certain banks, they will not proceed without proof of the extended warranty. Same goes for insurance.
Kurt #3337

Current:

sbu.mah
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 1 month
Car Model: MK7 GTI

Post by sbu.mah »

kingr wrote:Extended warranties are required by certain banks, they will not proceed without proof of the extended warranty. Same goes for insurance.
Didn't know extended warranty it's a must, I know insurance it's non negotiable when it comes to banks

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

MK7 GTI
Revo Tuned
Revo Intake
Roque Performance DP
Wolfburger
Cadet

Post by Wolfburger »

Those extended warranties are useless anyway for the amount you pay and the cover per component is crazy - especially if you have a high mileage 2nd hand car the cover amounts are ridiculously low but i guess any bit of penny helps in such situations.
ld