VW MK5 Head unit Upgrades

This forum is designated for In Car Entertainment discussion...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting in the Technical section as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

Technical Section Rules
Callum229
Cadet
Registered for: 4 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Jetta MK5 TDI DSG Highline

VW MK5 Head unit Upgrades

Post by Callum229 »

Hi guys

I have a 2007 MK5 Jetta TDI DSG. I want to upgrade my stock radio. I have a few questions though.

1. These chinese android head units (specific for the MK5, MK6) are any good? Do they take long to boot, are they compatible with canbus system, do they last more then a few months, is the sound quality good?

2. VW head unit prices are through the roof, and I do want to upgrade to an RCD510(apparently it is the only compatible unit that has NO battery drain) but it is way out of my budget. Any other units that are compatible?

3. I would like to buy an adapter plate and mount a Sony double din, or any good brand similar to that, however, how would I tie it in to the canbus system? How would I be able to get steering wheel controls? Has anyone fitted an aftermarket system and retained the usual functions?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.
2007 VW Jetta MK5 1.9 TDI DSG,

Mods: Simple EGR delete, LED interior set up, LED rear footwell lights, LED Puddle lamps, LED Doorhandle illumination, LED License plate lights, LED Boot lighting.

2007 VW Golf 5 1.9 TDI DSG, no mods.

2007 VW Transporter 2.5 TDI 4motion, no mods.
Kavi4GP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 9 years 7 months
Car Make: Toyota
Car Model: Corolla D4-D
Membership No: 2016

Re: VW MK5 Head unit Upgrades

Post by Kavi4GP »

The RDG310 or RDG350 can be had for around R5500 and offer all the modern features and will be compatible with your canbus parameters

Sent from my CPH1717 using Tapatalk

Current:
2017 Toyota Corolla D4-D Ultimate Performance Tuned
2013 A3 1.6 TDi S-Tronic 8V.1

EX:
2014 Polo 1.2 TSI Comfortline CPi Tuned
2013 Ford Focus 2.0 Sport
2011 Hyundai i20 1.4
2006 Toyota RunX
Callum229
Cadet

Post by Callum229 »

hi Kavi

Can't seem to find that radio. Is it plug and play as well?

Mods: Simple EGR delete, LED interior set up, LED rear footwell lights, LED Puddle lamps, LED Doorhandle illumination, LED License plate lights, LED Boot lighting.

Belix
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Model: Passat B8
Membership No: missing

Post by Belix »

could have sworn I replied to this post? Weird
What is your current radio? If you have a RCD310 currently, you should not have battery drain issues with any of the radios in that generation - RCD310, RCD510, RNS510, RNS315, RCD330G+ etc. If you have one of the earlier generation radio, then you will need to update your canbus or do the battery power mod to avoid battery drain.
Personally I don't like noname android replacement radios, buggy, and getting any support is problematic. My choice would be an OEM VW RCD330G+ if you can find the car play version, for a good price.
Callum229
Cadet

Post by Callum229 »

Hi Belix

Thanks for the reply, no my car is a 2007, so it will have battery drain issues as it's fitted with the old RCD300.

Thought so that the Android ones aren't that great.

If I fit the RCD310 or any radio newer then that besides the RCD510, apparently I do need a new can gateway and need to code it like you said.

Any ideas on the cost of a Canbus module?

I don't want to buy another OEM radio and find it doesn't work as that would really suck or mess something up hence why I want a plug and play at a reasonable price.

Belix
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Model: Passat B8
Membership No: missing

Post by Belix »

An updated canbus is the "better" way of doing it, but it's a pain to do. Check out this thread where the swap was done.
https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... lit=RNS510
If I recall, he got one from a scrap yard, so long as the part number is after the one he mentions, you should be good, although it will need to be coded.
Apparently you can also get a can bus gateway simulator, which will switch off the radio, but I've not heard of anyone trying it.
Lastly, there is away to work around it by using the so-called "fuse box mod", but it loses track memory https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/inde ... ic=37977.0
Callum229
Cadet

Post by Callum229 »

Yep I know as I wanted to take out the canbus and check what was installed, I never got to it yet as like half the dash underneath has to be taken apart.

I have VCDS and I will check that out.

The can bus simulator is what comes with the android head units, you can plug it in with your VW unit but I haven't seen it done so don't know if it would work and I suspect it will just switch off the radio and hard reset it.

The fuse box mod I know as the previous owner had that and a different head unit installed, however with an OEM head unit, it basically resets itself everytime you switch the car off.

I think my best bet is an RNS510, but with prices starting from R5000 and might have to do a can gateway upgrade, it sounds daunting enough and very expensive if I mess it up.

Thank you for the help Belix! Much appreciated.