Vw polo 1997 clutch upgrade

This forum is designated for In Car Entertainment discussion...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting in the Technical section as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

Technical Section Rules
LEON N
Enlisted
Registered for: 3 years 10 months

Vw polo 1997 clutch upgrade

Post by LEON N »

Hi guys need some help.... I have a 1.4 1997 vw polo and I upgraded the engine to 1.8. I used the 1.4 clutch setup and the 1.4 gearbox. After many years the clutch feels like its on its way out. I did some research on the flywheel and clutch, they say I should use a 210mm flywheel and clutch. What will I need to do the conversion and will the 210mm fit with my 1.4 gearbox. Should I buy a second hand flywheel or go with a new one. We're can I buy the new flywheel and clutch kit from. What is a good clutch kit to use and the make of the flywheel. Will the 210mm make a difference with power to the vechicle.
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Re: Vw polo 1997 clutch upgrade

Post by missioner »

LEON N wrote:Hi guys need some help.... I have a 1.4 1997 vw polo and I upgraded the engine to 1.8. I used the 1.4 clutch setup and the 1.4 gearbox. After many years the clutch feels like its on its way out. I did some research on the flywheel and clutch, they say I should use a 210mm flywheel and clutch. What will I need to do the conversion and will the 210mm fit with my 1.4 gearbox. Should I buy a second hand flywheel or go with a new one. We're can I buy the new flywheel and clutch kit from. What is a good clutch kit to use and the make of the flywheel. Will the 210mm make a difference with power to the vechicle.
Go to GW for the clutch and flywheel. Ask for the kit that suits the Mk1 Caddy 1.8. Use the kit that suits your budget, personally I'm a fan of LUK in a Mk1. The flywheel you need has 9 pressure plate bolts, your old one has 6.

I'm surprised the original clutch lasted longer than 3 months.

The whole set bolts in without any mods. The gearbox is exactly the same when it comes to the clutch regardless of engine size. It's only the clutch itself that changes.

A clutch has no effect on power at all, except for one thing, the connection to the gearbox. The old clutch had probably started slipping after a while, as a result the power from the motor wasn't getting to the wheels via the gearbox. This meant the car would not accelerate like it should and fuel consumption was negatively affected.
The new clutch should solve this and give you some years of no hassle service.

Tip: while the box is out, replace the pushrod, brass bush and tikkie seal inside the input shaft, small extra cost that will save loads of hassle.

Sent from my ***-L22 using Tapatalk

'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
LEON N
Enlisted
Registered for: 3 years 10 months

Re: Vw polo 1997 clutch upgrade

Post by LEON N »

Thank you.