Mk5 rear view camera connection help needed

This forum is designated for In Car Entertainment discussion...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting in the Technical section as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

Technical Section Rules
Trishen94
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 6 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Mk5 gti

Mk5 rear view camera connection help needed

Post by Trishen94 »

Hi guys hope u all well. hope some1 can help .car is a 2008 model mk5 gti. my gf recently bought me a aftermarket starsound double din radio which has the option for a rear view camera. so I bought the camera but don't know how to connect it I've spent an hour on Google with no luck. so basically I'm taking power from the 12v socket in the boot. but now the guys say it needs a trigger which comes from the reverse light. So hardest part is the reverse lights are on the boot lid and I see a solid brown wire and a solid white wire. which 1 do I tap into? I'm surely not taking all the covers and carpets of to trace it coz I'm scared of braking clips and causing rattles also not going to run a long wire from the light to the camera. sure these wires run somewhere in the boot that I can tap into it
any1 who has done this or knows how to I highly appreciate ur assistance
Current :2008 S3 8P (panic mechanic +thanas) 227kw /309hp 473nm
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=217296

Ex :2008 mk5 gti ... really miss this car

Previous :too many to list
DotDubb
Can I buy your wheels?
Registered for: 15 years
Car Make: Audi A6 3.0T
Car Model: DKW, Cabrio, A6 avant,Mk2
Membership No: 1593

Re: Mk5 rear view camera connection help needed

Post by DotDubb »

I just watched this video from one of our fellow vwclub members. He did the same thing, but with OEM parts.

Maybe have a look at his video or contact him via the YouTube Comments. I think his name on the vwclub is Deranged9n3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0EiytYo3TE
Current:
2012 Audi A6 3.0T TFSI Supercharged Quattro
2005 Audi A6 3.0tdi Avant Quattro
1999 Golf Cabrio Mk3.5 1.8 20V Turbo
1991 Golf Mk2 1.8 20vT
1960 Autounion DKW 1000s
DotDubb
Can I buy your wheels?
Registered for: 15 years
Car Make: Audi A6 3.0T
Car Model: DKW, Cabrio, A6 avant,Mk2
Membership No: 1593

Post by DotDubb »

While you on there, subscribe to his channel.
Current:
2012 Audi A6 3.0T TFSI Supercharged Quattro
2005 Audi A6 3.0tdi Avant Quattro
1999 Golf Cabrio Mk3.5 1.8 20V Turbo
1991 Golf Mk2 1.8 20vT
1960 Autounion DKW 1000s
Belix
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 14 years
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Passat B8
Membership No: missing

Post by Belix »

It's a bit of a pain to do.
Don't you have to remove all the trim to lead the video feed wires to the head unit anyway?
If you can get to the light cluster to find a clip or metal contact, it should be easy enough to figure out using a multimeter? There should be a hatch on the tailgate that gives access to change the bulb.
One thing that might be an issue - the OEM camera has a delay built in, so the camera still has power after reverse is disengaged. Not sure if its necessary with an aftermarket head unit.
Trishen94
Cadet

Post by Trishen94 »

Hi guys thanks for all the input the tiguan vid is abit diff since his using oem stuff and I'm using aftermarket stuff also connection is diff to mine ...yes belix there is a small hatch to change the bulb I see the wires but don't have a multimeter to test lol and also don't wana run a long wire all through the boot lid coz I'm mounting the cam above the number plate inbetween the two number plate lights that's y I asked if the wires runs somewhere in the boot so that I can tack into it I do have power just need the signal now

Belix
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 14 years
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Passat B8
Membership No: missing

Post by Belix »

multimeter is like R130, not a big expense, and makes life a lot easier when doing this kind of stuff.
If you find the colour of the wire in the boot lid, you may be able to find it in the car to tap into, it usually will stay that colour, but you're taking a chance another wire could be the same colour - again you could confirm the wire you find is the right one with a multimeter.
My mk6 has two grommets into the tailgate so already you can't even be sure to look on the right or left side of the car...if the mk5 only has one, you've got a bit of luck.
Wiring for my car goes along each sill to the rear, up the rear quarter, along the end of the top hatch opening and then through the grommets, so you could in theory find the wire somewhere at the base of the rear seats, but even then you'd need to remove trim to find it.

Lots of companies offer aftermarket rear view cameras - why not approach one to fit yours for you?
Trishen94
Cadet

Post by Trishen94 »

Oh wow lol I might sound noob but didn't expect those multimeter to be that cheap lol see all the electricians using them so expected it to be expensive but if it's R100 -R200 il get 1 tomorrow...100% agree with u that another wire could be the same colour so will hate to burn up something ...i will remove the rear seats n trim tomorrow if I'm not successful with finding the correct wire il take ur advice with a smile n ask a shop to do it thanks belix for the help I do appreciate it