VW Polo 1.9tdi purchase advice

This forum is designated for In Car Entertainment discussion...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting in the Technical section as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

Technical Section Rules
PlayaSwaggin
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo Playa

VW Polo 1.9tdi purchase advice

Post by PlayaSwaggin »

Hi Gents,

i would like to purchase a 2006 VW polo 1.9 TDI Comfortline.
Any one with some advise on this car. it has abt 170k kms
dont want to spend on this car in future.
worried about turbo packing up? risk ?

any advice on this cars?

thanks
MarshallGTi
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 13 years
Car Make: Seat
Car Model: Ibiza 1.9TDi FR
Membership No: 1665

Re: VW Polo 1.9tdi purchase advice

Post by MarshallGTi »

If its on the recall turbo already, you should be good, if it still has the stock turbo its a matter of WHEN it will pop, not IF it will pop. BV39 turbo still cheap at the dealerships, paid R7350 in the beginning of the year.

Have someone run logs on it, especially the injector values, at that mileage they could start going bad and they are expensive. If its the original clutch it will be near the end of its life. Check when last the cambelt and water pump were changed. If you take it, service it with correct oil straight away. If you can, pop the cam cover off and look at the lifters and cam lobe condition.
It is an ingenius solution to a problem that should have never existed in the 1st place...

Ibiza FR

Ex's:
ShoeBox
(o\!/o)
My mk2 16v
EX-DOHCTOR wrote: I'd make sure I understand the differences between fish and engine components before attempting any modifications on my motor vehicle as a start. :lol:
Psycho1400 wrote:It wasn't an oil leak, it was a horsepower sweat...
billionairebum
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 2 months
Car Model: Sportline
Membership No: 3194

Post by billionairebum »

The comfortline uses a 74kw turbo not a 96kw turbo, 5 speed vs 6 speed. If you keep the car stock and drive it very nicely then it should be ok. The 74kw turbos do not like any mods and are not as reliable as the 96kw. I had the Comfortline(74kw) for 6 years and 320 000km without any real issues. Price of the turbo has gone up a lot to around R9500-ish.
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 1 month
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

The 74kw KP39 turbo runs well when stock. I have seen a few of them run well over 300k kms untouched.

Infact im gonna be upgrading one of those cars turbos next week (cross polo), keen to see the condition of the original turbo

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
dhirennaidoo
Cadet
Registered for: 17 years 6 months
Car Model: 9n Polo Classic TDi (PD100)
Membership No: missing

Post by dhirennaidoo »

My 74kW turbo ran fine for about 230 000km. I replaced it with a 96kW turbo at that mileage and am now doing 260 000km. The original turbo was fine, I just replaced for tinkering purposes. Furthermore, that original turbo ran slightly higher boost (1.2 bar) from about 45 000km till its removal so I would say mine was perfectly reliable.

The car in general been quite reliable, with me replacing the following items I consider not normal wear-and-tear:

LCA bushes @ 65 000 km (replaced them with Golf 5 bushes and haven't had to replace since)
Fuel filler lock solenoid
Brake pedal switch
Alternator pulley (it has a one way mechanism which failed)
Clutch & DMF @ 160 000km (some say this is normal for a TDi)

The following normal wear & tear:
CV joints @ about 230 000km (I consider this normal because I wasn't the kindest to them)
Shocks @ 240 000km
Dogbone mount
Engine mounts

Did snap an OEM cambelt around 250 000km, but that was probably to do with popcorn limiters :bang:
'08 350Z
'05 Polo Classic TDi (PD100)

Ex : '12 Mk6 GTi Ed35, '91 Fox 1.8, Honda CBR600F, '09 Honda CBX250 Twister
Trishen94
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 5 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Mk5 gti

Post by Trishen94 »

I had the 96kw sportline and trust me it's the best car I've ever owned I sold it 3 months ago and really regret it. im now driving a mk5 gti it's really exciting also don't plan on selling this 1 soon... but that polo was awesome I really miss it actually planning on buying another 1 soon ...as the guys say maintain it properly and respect it and u will have no issues the fuel consumption is amazing I actually used to forget to fill fuel sometimes coz it was so light ...just do a decat on it coz th3 diesel vehicle blocks the cat very fast and service regularly the guys have already told u to check the turbo and clutch other than that I good to go
Current :2008 S3 8P (panic mechanic +thanas) 227kw /309hp 473nm
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=217296

Ex :2008 mk5 gti ... really miss this car

Previous :too many to list