Golf MK5 Sound Upgrade

This forum is designated for In Car Entertainment discussion...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting in the Technical section as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

Technical Section Rules
DJ_TorqueTDI
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 10 months
Car Make: Jetta 6
Car Model: 1.4 Tsi 90kw

Golf MK5 Sound Upgrade

Post by DJ_TorqueTDI »

Hi, I'm looking to upgrade the sound in my MK5 TDI, the stock system is horrible :bang: any heads up about challenges I might have when changing speakers ie mids size etc or even suggested routes I should go would be appreciated. Ill be doing the upgrade myself so the more info I get the easier it'll be.
Born to Rock... Ready to Roll
TDIFlava
Cadet
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

Re: Golf MK5 Sound Upgrade

Post by TDIFlava »

Need spacers made for the 6.5 splits woofers for the doors do not mount the tweeter in the stock location, move them to the kick panels it will sound better than the stock location as its closer to the woofer, you can use Hertz hi energy and above, audison, morel, focal and so forth, please stay away from the cheep entry level sound as you will not be satisfied with them.
Current:
Audi A3 8p TDI (Decat, twin S4 tail pipes, 17" rims, SQ sound system) (103kw/420nm)
Polo Classic 9n3 1.9 TDI (Decat, SQ sound system)
Golf MK1 aka Gravedigger
Ex:
Citi Golf 1.4 Sport (RIP)
DJ7
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 6 years 5 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK5 2.0 TDI DSG
Membership No: 3238

Re: Golf MK5 Sound Upgrade

Post by DJ7 »

Here is what I did in my mk5 TDI, in the order I did it.

So, I started out wanting more bass in the car. Car came with some cheap chinese OEM type looking radio. I then got a Polk 250.1 monoblock with an infinity 10" SVC in a sealed enclosure. I was happy for all of 2 weeks. I then replaced the head unit to a Pioneer HU as I wasn't happy with the functionality of the chinese one and wanted bluetooth that actually works.

After a few months, I wanted my vocals to be more clear and slightly louder as well as the bass was drowning it at higher volumes. So I got an audiobank 4 channel and have the standard 10 speakers running off that. This was done due to a baby on the way and not having money to upgrade the speakers as well. Surprisingly it turned out a lot better than expected and I am now happy with my sound.

Hope this helps a bit.
Current: '05 VW Golf 5 2.0 TDI Sportline (hers)
Current: '97 VW Jetta VR6 (his)
Project: '83 Datsun 1400 Sunny (project)
Ex: '97 Astra Estate 200i
'00 Corsa 200 GSI 16v
'96 Astra 200i E 16v
'02 Corsa 160 GSI
'93 Ballade 160e
'95 Astra 200i E 16v