Jetta 6 ICE help

This forum is designated for In Car Entertainment discussion...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting in the Technical section as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

Technical Section Rules
fiex
Lieutenant
Registered for: 20 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Jetta 6 1.4 TSi Comfortline

Jetta 6 ICE help

Post by fiex »

Hi guys!

I bought my 2012 Jetta 6 with an RCD310 (sans BT audio) which I then upgraded to an RCD510. But hating AUX cables & SD cards and the fact that it doesn't have Bluetooth, and refusing to spend ridiculous amounts just to get it to have bluetooth, I settled on one of those Chinese imports. Which ultimately is a POS. Nice features for the price, but supremely unreliable. So I've now had it. School fees paid unfortunately.

Now my question - the later facelift Jettas (2016+) comes with the Composition Colour and Composition Media, which both have bluetooth. Are these radios also still reliant on the seperate bluetooth module or has VW come to its senses and built it into the radio itself?

If it's built in, would I be able to retro-fit it to my Jetta?

THX guys!
Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 3 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Re: Jetta 6 ICE help

Post by Jetta2 »

I had a Composition Audio head unit in the Caddy when I bought it (changed to a Kenwood DDX418BT unit now) and it has built in Bluetooth and worked perfectly fine. Microphone sits on the top left of the head unit.
SD card slot, Auxiliary input (3.5mm jack) and USB port as well.

On the Composition Colour and Media, I have no idea if they use a seperate BT module or if they are built in.
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
Beeno
Wheel Whore
Registered for: 8 years 2 months
Car Model: MK2 Tiguan 1.4TSI
Membership No: 3090

Post by Beeno »

I was thinking of changing the composition colour MIB1 unit in my Golf 7 to the later MIB2 version so I could get APP Connect features, but it's not an easy thing to do - these units have software component protection which links the unit to the vehicle ID. If you're planning to do this, you'll also have to get this software protection removed in the unit first. There's a thread here on Mirrorlink/CarPlay/AndroidAuto in the pre-MY15 model composition colour units, it's a schlepp to transplant these.
BTW - bluetooth is built in
Tiguan MK2 1.4 TSI Comfortline
Limestone Grey G7 GTI DSG
BMW 2004SA
Belix
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Model: Passat B8
Membership No: missing

Post by Belix »

Seen a lot of guys getting RCD330s which don't look to have any component protection, and have Bluetooth built in. Maybe an option?
fiex
Lieutenant
Registered for: 20 years 7 months
Car Model: Jetta 6 1.4 TSi Comfortline

Post by fiex »

THX for the replies guys!

I ended up buying an RCD510 again that came with the USB adapter and the bluetooth module from Firestrm_ZA for a bargain price.