'89' Jetta 2 rear parcel shelf

This forum is designated for In Car Entertainment discussion...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting in the Technical section as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

Technical Section Rules
Imotions
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK2 CSL

'89' Jetta 2 rear parcel shelf

Post by Imotions »

Howist guys
Posting hear because its partly sound related
Basically ...
1. Rear parcel shelf previous owner cut 6x9 holes into the shelf which is ok if i could actually get a drill to make screw holes to mount them in as its cut close to the rear glass
Now i wanna remove this shelf possibly closing these holes up and try make alternate holes to fit smaller speakers like maybe size of the front ones just so it looks neat and tidy
Any help or ideas... with the 6x9s in i don't need a sub coz the boot makes a good box for me lol but its a bit annoying having speakers fall into the boot over rough roads
2. How do i make the speaker control switch work on after market radio

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
TDIFlava
Cadet
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

Re: '89' Jetta 2 rear parcel shelf

Post by TDIFlava »

This is what I will do not saying you need to do it just a solution that might help you.
1. Cut a template of the bottom side of the parcel shelf out of MDF and cut your 6x9 holes in the template so that is lines up with the old cut outs made by previous owner. Mount the template to the steel of the parcel shelf from the bottom with nut and bolts. mount your 6x9's to the wood template and recover the top of the parcel shelf so that it looks like there is no speakers at all should look neat and tidy when done.
2. I do not understand why you would want to do this? can you explain it in more detail what you are trying to do with this?
Current:
Audi A3 8p TDI (Decat, twin S4 tail pipes, 17" rims, SQ sound system) (103kw/420nm)
Polo Classic 9n3 1.9 TDI (Decat, SQ sound system)
Golf MK1 aka Gravedigger
Ex:
Citi Golf 1.4 Sport (RIP)
Imotions
Cadet

Post by Imotions »

TDIFlava wrote:This is what I will do not saying you need to do it just a solution that might help you.
1. Cut a template of the bottom side of the parcel shelf out of MDF and cut your 6x9 holes in the template so that is lines up with the old cut outs made by previous owner. Mount the template to the steel of the parcel shelf from the bottom with nut and bolts. mount your 6x9's to the wood template and recover the top of the parcel shelf so that it looks like there is no speakers at all should look neat and tidy when done.
2. I do not understand why you would want to do this? can you explain it in more detail what you are trying to do with this?
Theres the swittch on the dashboard that i know controlled factory speakers left to right or back and front by turning the wheel... just maybe connect it so in the event im travelling i cud probably just turn the thing to play front speakers while the wife and baby sleep out the trip i the back instead of going into the fader settings on the radio... if possible great if not no train smash they would have to just deal with it lol.....
That idea did cross my mind but was hoping i could cover up the holes or even remove the thing n replace which i dunno where ill find a clean replacement lol

Ill probably just settle with mounting it the way you said and leave it

TDIFlava
Cadet
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

Post by TDIFlava »

Your only option is to use the fade and balance setting on your deck, the only other way I can think of know is to add toggle switches to the rear speakers one for each side and switch them on and off as needed but not the best option though.
Current:
Audi A3 8p TDI (Decat, twin S4 tail pipes, 17" rims, SQ sound system) (103kw/420nm)
Polo Classic 9n3 1.9 TDI (Decat, SQ sound system)
Golf MK1 aka Gravedigger
Ex:
Citi Golf 1.4 Sport (RIP)
Imotions
Cadet

Post by Imotions »

TDIFlava wrote:Your only option is to use the fade and balance setting on your deck, the only other way I can think of know is to add toggle switches to the rear speakers one for each side and switch them on and off as needed but not the best option though.
Im actually going to try wire speakers to the switch and see what happens lolnot loaing anything and if it works bonus for me Image

DeanGP
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 5 months
Car Make: VW JETTA 2
Car Model: MK2 Jetta CSX

Post by DeanGP »

Howzit buddy

I'm with TDIFLAVA on this one its better to do the MDF cut out.
I have a MK2 Jetta iv recently been in an accident with. There are a number of Scrap Yards in South of JHB. You will find a back Shelf iv seen them
complete.

However given the age of the vehicle buy cutting that out which i have done a while back was a mistake.
I have a full back board at the back but then like few ppl have said it weakens the back section of the vechile(not sure if tru) but understandably if in Rear smash or Rear side smash.
Also there is a consistent exhaust fume smell that will enter. I Had changed rubbers as well as done full STP insulation to assist with this problem.

Totally up to you iv done it and regret it. If you interesed in a back Shelf

Call Reddys scrap yard they do have a jetta 2 there.

Cheers
Current Jetta MK2 2L 8V
Imotions
Cadet

Post by Imotions »

DeanGP wrote:Howzit buddy

I'm with TDIFLAVA on this one its better to do the MDF cut out.
I have a MK2 Jetta iv recently been in an accident with. There are a number of Scrap Yards in South of JHB. You will find a back Shelf iv seen them
complete.

However given the age of the vehicle buy cutting that out which i have done a while back was a mistake.
I have a full back board at the back but then like few ppl have said it weakens the back section of the vechile(not sure if tru) but understandably if in Rear smash or Rear side smash.
Also there is a consistent exhaust fume smell that will enter. I Had changed rubbers as well as done full STP insulation to assist with this problem.

Totally up to you iv done it and regret it. If you interesed in a back Shelf

Call Reddys scrap yard they do have a jetta 2 there.

Cheers
Howsit DeanGp
Ok now I'm definitely going to do the MFD rather lol i thought that it would be like detachable as the golf is but if I'm going to cut and stuff eish rather not

The idea of the MFD is good as well and also ideal for me to hide the speakers
Thanks for the help guys much appreciated

DeanGP
Cadet

Post by DeanGP »

No stress

There will be cutting here and there but it is actually stitched on so they will have to remove that, think by drill.

But rather be safe as cutting and welding is dangerous if wrong guy does it, also risk with cutting where glass is seated with the rubber. Develop leak.

But bear in mind we talking about the metal that is beneath the cloth.
The board and cloth comes off once the back seat is taken out. Once out
The metal you see there is what im referring to. You have plenty place on top to do a cool elevated back board to fit the new speakers. and cover it with cool vinal or what you thing will look good
Current Jetta MK2 2L 8V
Imotions
Cadet

Post by Imotions »

DeanGP wrote:No stress

There will be cutting here and there but it is actually stitched on so they will have to remove that, think by drill.

But rather be safe as cutting and welding is dangerous if wrong guy does it, also risk with cutting where glass is seated with the rubber. Develop leak.

But bear in mind we talking about the metal that is beneath the cloth.
The board and cloth comes off once the back seat is taken out. Once out
The metal you see there is what im referring to. You have plenty place on top to do a cool elevated back board to fit the new speakers. and cover it with cool vinal or what you thing will look good
Lol problem with that is i lost hope in removing the seat wanted to run amp cables and ended up just shoving it through a place i found wjere the seats join i couldnt manage to remove the seats at all they never even like move a bit

DeanGP
Cadet

Post by DeanGP »

from the boot there is a cover there that closes the metal that is actually behind the seat.
If im not mistaken there are 3 or so screws that hold that board there. Remove that. ( you will actually be in the boot)
You will see hooks On top Left and Right.

Looks like these seat have never been Removed nice.

Us a flat screw driver or something to assist with moving those hooks up. Once they over the clip section the seat will be
movable.
Current Jetta MK2 2L 8V
DeanGP
Cadet

Post by DeanGP »

You have a Jetta CSX so no head rests.

Mine use to be a CSX now its a C...... not sure what so your back seat is like what i had.
Current Jetta MK2 2L 8V
Imotions
Cadet

Post by Imotions »

DeanGP wrote:You have a Jetta CSX so no head rests.

Mine use to be a CSX now its a C...... not sure what so your back seat is like what i had.
I ha e head rest on the back seats
But its cool doubt im gna actually need to remove the seats coz the boot us already bug enough for alot of things lol just need to get a proper spare wheel that doesn't keep the boot mat up a demister switch new head lights and fix the idle when aircon is on its drops and doesn't come back as well as pops fuses when turned to full power '4'

Other than that everything else works as it should however there is one thing i need clarity on
By the engine bay on the firewall just above the exhaust manifold there's a plastic block think looks like its meant for vacuum pipes but nothing's connected to it

DeanGP
Cadet

Post by DeanGP »

You have Injected model or carburetor.

Mine is a carb model 1986. However my first tough would be those are for heater hoses.
as that what i have connected there. But i can be wrong as you mentioned you have an aircon.
Also if you say it looks like vacuum hose then this could be why when you putting on the fan
the idle drops.
If you have Kjet system that system depends on vacuum.

SO im really not to sure. Generally guys do a bypass to the head when the radiator for the the aircon has a leak.
By doing this water will not leak on the carpet under the dash( radiator behind the dash).

So in all honesty im really not to sure. If you can post a pic you are bound to get the correct answer here.
Current Jetta MK2 2L 8V
Imotions
Cadet

Post by Imotions »

Its a carb model as well
Idles 100% then only when u switch the aircon on its like a power drain type as if the engine is super cold but with head light or normal fan even when thermostat opens and fan kicks its normal idle
Heater works aircon works no bypass done
Ill have to get a pic and post it up coz i can't see any loose vacuum pipes anywhere
I rather get an understanding or know what it is otherwise im going to end up putting finger and mess up something else lol

DeanGP
Cadet

Post by DeanGP »

On these carb models there are not a lot of vacuum pipes.
But rather be safe than sorry.

Good Luck
Current Jetta MK2 2L 8V
Imotions
Cadet

Post by Imotions »

This is itImageImage