Help needed with 2016 Vivo sound upgrade

This forum is designated for In Car Entertainment discussion...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting in the Technical section as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

Technical Section Rules
ML-MK2
Cadet
Registered for: 7 years
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Mk2 jetta cli 8v kjet

Help needed with 2016 Vivo sound upgrade

Post by ML-MK2 »

Hi

I need some advise w.r.t a sound upgrade in my vivo.

1. I don't have any speakers in the rear doors, so need to know what brand to fit & what size fits.I don't actually need the top of range splits or anything like that, I'm actually just looking for a equivalent to the oem speakers, I want to connect it straight to the oem head unit.

2. I have a 12" Pioneer 900w svc(TS-W307F) sub laying around and want to build a "small" enclosure that I'll mount on the left hand side of the boot. I need to know what amp will be a good match for this sub.I'm not planning on entering any competions at all, just want some decent sound.

Also feel free to give any advise/tips of stuff I didn't mention.

Thanks in advance
Current:
2016 Polo Vivo 1.4
17" Audi A7 reps

1987 Jetta 2 Cli 1.8 8v
276 cam, powerflow, 60 mm drop, 14 inch gold "mushroom"

Ex :
1985 Ford Sierra 1.6
Stock motor, 15 inch black steelies - Sold
TDIFlava
Cadet
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

Re: Help needed with 2016 Vivo sound upgrade

Post by TDIFlava »

Hi bud so you don't mention anything about budget don't got for cheep as you will want to upgrade in the future you have different options or routs that you can take by keeping the OEM head unit:
Option 1
The cheapest way of connecting an amplifier to a oem head unit is by adding a hi to low converter it works but the quality you get is what you paid for.
Option 2
Get your self a audio processor it is costly but opens up howl new world in the audio for you and gives you more options in the future

So for equipment no one can tell you what brand to choose you need to go to an audio shop in your aria ask them you want to know what they recommend and ask them if you can have a demo of a car that the fitted with that specific brand and have a listen to it and then make your choice what sounds the best for you, i would recommend brands from Focal, Morel, Audison, Hertz and DLS but these are costly. The cheaper brands will sound better than the oem ones any day as well, if you do want to go that option i would stick to Pioneer, Alpine, MTX and JBL, i will stay away form brands like Starsound, Philips, Targa and any other brand you never heard off as you will be disappointed with the performance for a daily.

For the size of the speakers in the rear doors as far as I can remember they are big enough for 6 1/2 '' speaker fit.

As for the amp I would recommend a 4ch amp lik a Hertz HCP4 saves space as the amp is small but it has more that enough power to supply the sub you mentioned and you can run the aftermarket speakers of it as well. I would recommend you change the front speakers and move them to the rear doors and power them off the oem head unit and power the fronts off the amp fore a more improved sound.

Sorry for the long post I'm just trying to help and guide you so you don't waist your hard earned money for someone ells to steel it from you.
Current:
Audi A3 8p TDI (Decat, twin S4 tail pipes, 17" rims, SQ sound system) (103kw/420nm)
Polo Classic 9n3 1.9 TDI (Decat, SQ sound system)
Golf MK1 aka Gravedigger
Ex:
Citi Golf 1.4 Sport (RIP)
ML-MK2
Cadet

Post by ML-MK2 »

Hi tdiflava I'll definitely be doing some research about the audio processors. I was actually thinking of fitting a monoblock amp for the sub only, but i am considering your suggestion.

Thanks for all your help, ur a legend :hurray:
Current:
2016 Polo Vivo 1.4
17" Audi A7 reps

1987 Jetta 2 Cli 1.8 8v

Ex :
1985 Ford Sierra 1.6
amstel18
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Tiguan Allspace
Membership No: missing

Post by amstel18 »

Not sure on the size, but what I would do is move the front speakers to the back. Get some decent splits and put them in front and run them off a 4 channel amp. Then bridge 2 of the 4 channels for the sub. No need for a monoblock on that sub.

Go have a look on soundmatch.co.za they got some decent prices lately on the Phoenix gold stuff.
But then again I haven't bought sound stuff in years. Just know that starsound was kak SQ wise. If you only want SPL then budget wise you can't go wrong with the targa or starsound stuff. But then again, cheap and SQ can't be used in the same sentence
Current:
2022 GWM P-Series LT 4x4
Ex:
2018 VW Tiguan Allspace
2013 Audi A3 Sportback 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
2015 Pure White 1.2tsi Comfortline
2011 2L BiTdi ROK D/C Highline
2006 Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI
91 Caddy, ADY motor on mp9, wildcat 4-1 branch and 50mm Evolution s/s exhaust
96 1600 Chico (sold)
ML-MK2
Cadet

Post by ML-MK2 »

Hi amstel18

Thanx for your input, i'll definitely keep in mind your suggested set up. The reason why I thought of only running the sub off the amp , bcoz when my wife and child is with me( which is most of the time) I can just can switch the amp off (by connecting a switch on the remote wire). This way I still have all the speakers in use but without all the bass from the sub.
Current:
2016 Polo Vivo 1.4
17" Audi A7 reps

1987 Jetta 2 Cli 1.8 8v

Ex :
1985 Ford Sierra 1.6
TDIFlava
Cadet

Post by TDIFlava »

It wont work that way as you can't install a Hi to Low with speakers it will distort and damage your sub and amp, if you want to do that get your self an Audison Bit One or a Bit 10D that way you can control the sub level, and if you install a good SQ system you will have all the bass and clarity you will ever need no need to even turn the sub down as it will sound just as good on low volume than on hi volume.
Current:
Audi A3 8p TDI (Decat, twin S4 tail pipes, 17" rims, SQ sound system) (103kw/420nm)
Golf MK1 aka Gravedigger
Ex:
mkmlang
Enlisted
Registered for: 8 years 4 months
Car Model: Polo Vivo

Post by mkmlang »

this audison DSP's comes up alot. is it really gonna make a night & day difference in SQ other than getting a better HU.
VW Polo Vivo '15
Honda Ballade 150i '87 (popup lights )
ML-MK2
Cadet

Post by ML-MK2 »

TDIFlava wrote:It wont work that way as you can't install a Hi to Low with speakers it will distort and damage your sub and amp, if you want to do that get your self an Audison Bit One or a Bit 10D that way you can control the sub level, and if you install a good SQ system you will have all the bass and clarity you will ever need no need to even turn the sub down as it will sound just as good on low volume than on hi volume.
Thanks for clearing this up for me, looks like i'm going with the sub and front/rear speakers running off a 4 ch amp. Now I must just to start looking around to see what the shops have.
Current:
2016 Polo Vivo 1.4
17" Audi A7 reps

1987 Jetta 2 Cli 1.8 8v

Ex :
1985 Ford Sierra 1.6
ML-MK2
Cadet

Post by ML-MK2 »

I forgot to ask what size wiring kit do I get, 10,8,6 gauge or bigger?
Current:
2016 Polo Vivo 1.4
17" Audi A7 reps

1987 Jetta 2 Cli 1.8 8v

Ex :
1985 Ford Sierra 1.6
mkmlang
Enlisted
Registered for: 8 years 4 months
Car Model: Polo Vivo

Post by mkmlang »

the lower the number the thinker the wire. 4 gauge wire would be preferable for your setup.
VW Polo Vivo '15
Honda Ballade 150i '87 (popup lights )
TDIFlava
Cadet

Post by TDIFlava »

Agree with mkmlang use a 4 gauge wiring kit for the setup. Please do a big 3 upgrade as well to help your electrical system to operate at is't optimum.
Big 3 meaning you upgrade with 4 gauge wire the wire from the alt charge to battery +, battery - to chassis and chassis to engine block.
Current:
Golf MK1 aka Gravedigger
Ex: