Bluetooth 'noise' when connected? Interference?

This forum is designated for In Car Entertainment discussion...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting in the Technical section as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

Technical Section Rules
herco
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 1 month
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: B8.5 S4

Bluetooth 'noise' when connected? Interference?

Post by herco »

Hi Guys!

This weekend I bought a super cheap head unit with built in Bluetooth, to keep me going until I buy a proper one after December.

One snag was the antenna, I need to get an adapter sometime. The head unit expects a long male plug, while the VW antenna connector is a short flat thing. Where can I get one of these adapters?

The main issue, bluetooth. Once I connect my bluetooth there is a ticking/crackling/funky sound coming from all the speakers. I will try get a video of it tonight. When I disconnect my bluetooth device the 'noise' is gone. I tried with multiple devices and the issue persists. I have a feeling its got to do with the cheap unit I bought.

The head unit was installed by me splicing the wires behind the stock VW connector. At the moment the HU harness is just twisted on the polo's wires and secured with some electrical tape. Will proper soldering solve my problem maybe? Anyone else had a issue similar to this?
Current: Audi B8.5 S4 :cool: + V4 Multistrada + KTM 300 tpi

Memorable Ex's:
'16 BMW S1000R -> One of the best bikes out there.
'17 Ducati 1299. An actual beast!
Molten Orange Fiesta ST
E90 320d MSPORT I should've kept this one ///M
'95 Opel Astra tS
'99 Opel 200IS Euro :'(
TDIFlava
Cadet
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

Re: Bluetooth 'noise' when connected? Interference?

Post by TDIFlava »

Hi Herco,

The connection for the antenna is called a bullet you can get it from all the sound shops it costs around R30.00.
As for the bluetooth check the settings on your head unit (if possible) it might be set to high for the auto volume or correction volume (the volume setting that you balance the volume between the sources of the radio) it is a problem with cheap head units.

Don't think soldering the wires will help with issue.
When you get your new radio please ask a sound shop for the plugs that connect straight to your standard vw plugs i think it ISO plugs but not sure done it a long time ago on the wife's POLO 9n3.
Current:
Audi A3 8p TDI (Decat, twin S4 tail pipes, 17" rims, SQ sound system) (103kw/420nm)
Polo Classic 9n3 1.9 TDI (Decat, SQ sound system)
Golf MK1 aka Gravedigger
Ex:
Citi Golf 1.4 Sport (RIP)
herco
Cadet

Post by herco »

Thanks TDIFlava!

Will get my hands on the "bullet'. Name makes 100% sense for how I expect it to look.

Hmmm, I will play around with the settings, there might be something in there. Theres not much configuration options available on this cheapie though. Would be great to get teh BT working, worst case I just use the aux, still worth the ~R350 I paid for it! :D

Memorable Ex's:
Molten Orange Fiesta ST
'95 Opel Astra tS
TDIFlava
Cadet
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

Post by TDIFlava »

What is your pans for the car sound wise, do your home work before you go and buy equipment think of equipment you want to install, then go to a sound shop ask them if they have done a car with the equipment you thinking of buying as have a listen to the system and only then buy if you are happy the way it sounds. Don't just buy sound to buy sound will save you in the long run.
Current:
Audi A3 8p TDI (Decat, twin S4 tail pipes, 17" rims, SQ sound system) (103kw/420nm)
Polo Classic 9n3 1.9 TDI (Decat, SQ sound system)
Golf MK1 aka Gravedigger
Ex:
Citi Golf 1.4 Sport (RIP)
herco
Cadet

Post by herco »

^ Definitely my plan. Just wanted to have bluetooth/aux in the meantime.

Memorable Ex's:
Molten Orange Fiesta ST
'95 Opel Astra tS