upgrade install

This forum is designated for In Car Entertainment discussion...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting in the Technical section as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

Technical Section Rules
kershmeister
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 9 months

upgrade install

Post by kershmeister »

Hi everyone. I am new, and yes I did intro myself :hi:

I've been browsing the web looking for advice and there are no South African Car audio forums, but everything i punched into google had results for VWclub. So I though what better place than here to meet new people and pick brains.

Here is my dilemma, I have a Hyundai ix35 with the premium (i beg to differ) sound package.
That's the 7 speaker version with factory external amp. It's time to make it better. And for what it's worth all the gear will be kept when I sell the Hyundai and get myself a Transporter Crew Cab or Kombi. But that's only in 5 or so years.

I need to change things and have been contemplating the following components:
https://www.takealot.com/kicker-css654- ... ID34156472
http://www.junkmail.co.za/spares/car-au ... r/65786802 (Will reside in a DIY fiberglass spare wheel enclosure)
https://www.soundmatch.co.za/Products/P ... -amplifier (Must be compact)

Those items are also where the budget is around (R3.5k).
I would like some input if its worthwhile or I should maybe change things up a bit.
R100 bucks either way isn't too much of a hassle. I will be doing it in stages.
Get the Amp (Now), then the splits (Christmas+birthday) and then the sub (When it happens). I want to make sure the splits get proper love when I get them so that is why i need amp first.

So Guys, any thoughts, correction, suggestion,second hand items you have?
Shivvy
Enlisted
Registered for: 9 years 1 month

Re: upgrade install

Post by Shivvy »

What do you feel is lacking in the current system? Equipment is all well and good but if not installed properly then it may end up sounding worse.

What you need to consider is what do you want out of the system. When you turn it up is there a lack of bass, midrange, treble? does it not go loud enough? Are you finding that there is detail missing in your music? Is there perhaps a specific system you have heard that you would like our car to sound like? these are important questions to answer as going out and just buying new speakers does not necessarily mean that the system will sound the way you want it.

Another thing to consider is that the car has a built in amp which generally means that the will not be a full range signal going out.

My personal opinion would be to find out the exact size of the speakers that are in the the car and then replace them with an OEM replacement speaker, which is designed to work off lower power. Brands such as Hertz, Focal, DLS, JL Audio etc make these speakers. Then get those speakers installed properly with some baffles and sound deadening. Later you can add a subwoofer and amplifier if you feel the need.
kershmeister
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 9 months

Re: upgrade install

Post by kershmeister »

Hey shivvy

Thanks for the reply.
Well my previous vehicle (isuzu kb) I installed some polk db6501's and a JBL 8 inch of a Blaupunkt 65x4. It was a remarkable upgrade and rather clear... especially in bakkie standards.
Basically like you say, OEM replacement drop ins. That is precisely the route I am going and the components given are exactly that. But I am open to suggestions. I have looked at DD's and Hertz offerings. The DD's seem to have VERY favourable reviews.
In terms of what I am after, better clarity and bottom end fill is lacking (OEM 8 inch sounds hollow). So I wish to improve on those.
Goes without saying, louder is always a plus.

I have researched and investigated for couple months already and know sizes that fit etc.
I agree on sound deadening and baffles. In terms of mounting the woofer component, the OEM speaker needs to get butchered for the foam spacer which also helps a bit. The doors will also be getting some treatment.

Regarding the amp. My searching on the hyundai forums, guys have spliced into rear speaker wires post amp and extracted signal from there with excellent results. So I thought that would be a winner. If you could share any first hand experience in this regard I would be grateful.

Obviously the sub, that can largely come down to personal preference. I'm not going to enter any SPL events, but just looking for some decent low(er) accurate bass that isn't going to be too offensive. My old bakkie was excellent with that. The sub lived in a ported enclosure correct to spec and even when it was loud with windows and doors shut you didn't know I was having a party.
The plans for the sub are a sealed, fiberglass, spare wheel enclosure (DIY). Most 10's (Shallow) call for 0.5-0.7 cubes of space in sealed. I measured my rim (plastic bag and 5l bucket) and I currently have 21-23l of volume. So about 0.7-0.8 cubes. So seems like it will work.

So those are the plans, but I am VERY open to input and helpful advice (as has been given)