Golf 1.6 bock with 1.8 crank and 1.6 pistons and 1.8 top

Nziyanelunga
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years

Golf 1.6 bock with 1.8 crank and 1.6 pistons and 1.8 top

Post by Nziyanelunga »

I have a 1.6 block, want to insert 1.8 crank, 1.6 pistons and 1.8 top. Will it workout?
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Re: Golf 1.6 bock with 1.8 crank and 1.6 pistons and 1.8 top

Post by missioner »

Nziyanelunga wrote:I have a 1.6 block, want to insert 1.8 crank, 1.6 pistons and 1.8 top. Will it workout?
No.

Use 1.8 pistons.

It's called piston height and conrod length. It's how engine builders make up the distance between the crank and the cylinder head.

1.6 is 81mm bore and 77.6mm stroke. 1.8 is also 81mm bore but has a longer stroke of 86.4mm. Both motors use the same rods, they can be interchanged. VW did this to reduce costs. The same length conrod is used in many VW and Audi engines throughout the years.

What this means is yes the two sets of pistons will fit inside the bores just the same, but if you compare their heights they will be different. This is to accommodate for the different stroke of the two cranks. The difference is 8.8mm which means the 1.6l piston is 4.4mm taller than a 1.8 piston.

In real world terms the 1.6l piston will protrude out of the top of the block nearly 5mm, this is not something that can be fixed in the engineering shop. This means the piston rings will also come out of the block, resulting in an engine that wont turn.

Go back to the top and read the second line.

If the whole purpose of the thread is to find a new big power engine recipe, I'm sorry it's all been done on the old 8 valve motor. Luckily you are in the right place to get the knowledge you need to take your car to that next level.

Cheers
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Nziyanelunga
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years

Re: Golf 1.6 bock with 1.8 crank and 1.6 pistons and 1.8 top

Post by Nziyanelunga »

Thanks. That's what i thought