side drafts on a 1.8 cti vw engine

CeeJayy
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 10 months

side drafts on a 1.8 cti vw engine

Post by CeeJayy »

Hi Guys I have 2questions I would like to ask .

1: I have a 1.8 cti engine the kjet one but I'm running 40 twin webers on them I had my head port and polished placed bigger valves in and running a cam as well , regarding getting more power I wanted to know will i get abit more power out of it if I ran Av Gas in there or does it just work for injection cars ???

2: I'm having coil issues I went through 3bosch bottle coils and 5 second hand basically new fake coils and they all keep heating up until my car dies on me then I need to wait till.it coils down before I drive again then I decided to get the new square coils the 3pin one I think it's called and still the same problem I have spent thousands on coils and still same.issue.I'm assuming it can't be the coil if every single coil.I buy do the same thing someone told me it could be my earth on the ignition that's causing this.

any advice would really help.

and this is all for the same car a vw mk1 the old spec .

thanks in advance
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Re: side drafts on a 1.8 cti vw engine

Post by PapaJo »

Explain more about what cam you have installed and if head was skimmed for higher compression. You can run avgas, but would need to retune your car. Higher octane rating. This is a discussion on its own to use avgas or not and the regulations involved for buying and transporting of avgas in a container. Why not just buy race fuel and chuck that in your cars tank with a retune?

How is the timing setup on your motor and where is the coil mounted? Presuming you are using a TP100 wired to distributor with timing advance and vacuum line connected to the intake. Chances are that the timing is either not advancing as it should or over advancing or some bad wire connections causing higher resistance in wiring and then heating up or where the coil is mounted at the vicinity of the branch. Are you using a Bosch or no name TP100? Is earth from Tp100 connected to negative at battery terminal or on the motor?
CeeJayy
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 10 months

Post by CeeJayy »

hey Thank You so much for the response .

I'm running a 276 cam , and yes I had the head done for high compression , and I will definitely try the race fuel.

and yes I have that coil that is wired to the distributor. and it's mounted against my fire wall on the passenger side. But it is located abit close to.the engine and I think You could be right about the wiring I checked that but no luck I googled it as well and no luck regarding the wiring and I need to check the negative cable I think.It's connected to the motor I'm not sure I will check and I'm using bosch one.

the one weird thing I picked up I'm not sure.if it's right.or not.

But.I.connected my electronic fuel pump to it and.on.either side I put the wire it still generated power wether its on the negative or positive it generated power is that correct or could it be my wiring cause.I.never had this problem until I changed engines .

thanks in advance
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Post by PapaJo »

Where exactly is fuel pump wires connected to? From the coil? If so remove and wire via a relay from acc on ignition for +12v and earth at pump end on body or bring earth back to earth point on main earth. What type electronic fuel pump are you using and how do you know how much pressure are you pumping to the carbs?