Golf mk1 bonnet spring stuck

wilmien
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Golf mk1 bonnet spring stuck

Post by wilmien »

:mad: So fed up with this car. We fitted a new cable and latch not long ago. Suddenly yesterday when you pull the cable inside the car the bonnet lifts but all other stuff is working. It looks like the spring thing that goes in there is stuck and dont want to open. I removed the whole grill. Used screwdriver to check everything. That is fine. Its just that big spring which comes from bonnet into latch thing that is stuck. Please help otherwise my husband will have to buy a new bonnet also.
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Re: Golf mk1 bonnet spring stuck

Post by PapaJo »

The pin and spring does not align in the hole of the part sitting in the slam tray and is probably bend.

With grille removed, he can direct it to the centre pushing the pin to centre and then it shoukd pop open. Check also the small locking arm that is on a spring that it is free or else the pin is locked in.

Once he got it freed up and bonnet opening, lower/rest bonnet down into the bottom taper part in slamtray. Adjust by the two bolts on the hinge part that sits on the bonnet to line the pin abd spring in the centre of the hole. Once alinged and bolts fastened, bonnet should be able to open when you oull the cable. Just double check that the lock slide and spring in the bottom part is free.
wilmien
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Post by wilmien »

Thanks. I will check it out over the weekend.
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Post by PapaJo »

wilmien wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:18 pm Thanks. I will check it out over the weekend.
:thumbup: