Premium Car Care online store
Pristine Detailing
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 2 months
Car Make: VW, Porsche
Car Model: Polo GTI / Caddy/Cayenne

Auto Finesse Wheel Soap Review Thread

Post by Pristine Detailing »

This thread is here for members of the product test panel to submit reviews, pictures and discuss our new development product "Wheel Soap".

Info below is from the AF UK thread giving some insight into the product

An Overview:

Our new Wheel Soap looks to plug a hole in our current product line with two primary uses. Firstly, the new wheel soap works perfectly as a dedicated wheel cleaner on wheels that have been previously waxed, sealed or are regularly maintained. It has slightly more bite than a conventional bodywork shampoo so will safely lift and remove any contamination and brake dust sitting on your wheel.

Secondly it can be used alongside a wheel cleaner such as Imperial. The introduction of the wheel soap into your wheel bucket will add extra cleaning power and more lubricity, creating for a quicker and safe wheel cleaning experience.

Putting it into action:

Here we are using the new wheel soap to complete a maintenance wheel wash. The wheels in question are BBS split wheels with painted centres and polished outer lips. Since their last wash these wheels have picked up road grime and brake dust from a trip from London to Birmingham and back, a combination of back roads and motorways, intern leaving them in not a terrible state but the general sort of condition you would expect from such a trip. However they aren't really in a condition the requires a spray and dwell wheel cleaner. A light maintenance wash with the new wheel soap and some Hog Hair detailing brushes will clean and rejuvenate their appearance.

Start by adding three to four capfuls of wheel soap to your wheel bucket containing fresh water and your selected wheel brushes. Next activate the suds by giving it a quick blast with a garden hose or pressure washer.

If necessary give your wheel a light rinse down with a hose prior to cleaning. Next take your Hog Hair wheel brushes or other wheel brushes and begin to clean. This wheel soap has been in development for a while to insure that it creates and retains suds for the whole time your cleaning your wheels. It’s these suds which will add lubricity and safely carry away the grime and dust your wheel has on it, thus preventing marring on delicate polished and painted wheels.

As you can see the new wheel soap is extremely safe and is perfect to use on painted, powder coated and polished wheels.

Once washed, a quick rinse with a garden hose or pressure washer is all thats need to relieve a clean wheel once again.

We look forward to hearing and seeing your first experiences with our new wheel soap and the results it helps you achieve.
Vishal Nair
Pristine Detailing
Tel: (+27) 82 331 9095
Fax: 086 517 4709
Email: vish@pristinedetailing.co.za
Web: http://www.pristinedetailing.co.za
LostEnigma
Captain
Registered for: 10 years 10 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: S3 8L
Membership No: 3207

Re: Auto Finesse Wheel Soap Review Thread

Post by LostEnigma »

Looks like some insane stuff Vish. Wow!
Current:

2003 Mexico Blue Audi S3 8L 280.7 WKW - 424NM - Bagged by FS Projects, YT Revision & Only Charged Dubs - ISPIRI WHEELS FTW

Ex:

2013 VW Candy White Polo Vivo GT - SOLD
1997 VW White Chico Golf - SOLD
Stompie
Boostleak Guru
Registered for: 12 years 9 months
Car Make: BMW
Car Model: 2006 120D
Membership No: 1843

Post by Stompie »

yeah looks like a decent wheel soap, will see how it works this weekend!
BMW 120D E87
Ex: 07' Polo GTI 1.8T Rides Thread Here
Pristine Detailing
Cadet

Im looking forward to your guys feedback
I personally have not even tried it....so I cant even comment...lol
Its received good reviews in the UK...lets see what our guys say.
Vishal Nair
Pristine Detailing
crumbs
Race Chip
Registered for: 11 years 10 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Citi Rox 1.6i
Membership No: missing

Post by crumbs »

Gave the wheel soap a test today and am I impressed, firstly it smells awesome and foams up nicely. Has a nice jelly like feeling to it and a little goes a long way!

Started off with a pretty dirty wheel.
Initial rinse:
50/50
And the end result with literally no scrubbing
I would reccomend this to anyone thats likes a clean set of wheelz.
Silverbird_96Kw
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 13 years 5 months
Car Model: Mk7 Golf R
Membership No: 1643

Post by Silverbird_96Kw »

This is an awesome product, dirt comes off so easily :thumbup:
Current

15 VW Golf R

Ex
15 VW Passat 2.0TSi Rline
17 VW Polo 1.2TSi Highline
17 VW Golf Mk7.5 GTi
15 Audi A3 Sedan 1.8TFSI Stronic
11 VW Roc 2.0TFSI DSG
06 Audi A3 2.0T
08 BMW E90 320D
10 Audi A3 1.8T FSI
12 VW Golf 6 1.4 TSI Comfortline
06 Vw Polo 1.9 TDI Sportline
crumbs
Race Chip

Post by crumbs »

Silverbird_96Kw wrote:This is an awesome product, dirt comes off so easily :thumbup:
Thanks for the help buddy, and the SO's dirty wheels.
Aslam_mk4
SO FLUFFY, WE ALL GONNA DIE!
Registered for: 15 years 1 month
Membership No: 1824

Post by Aslam_mk4 »

Vish my car is busy getting work done to it so it's not available but I have the soap to cli16v he will give feedback
Last edited by Aslam_mk4 on Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bagged mk4 2dr

"Ride or die"
Life160
Captain
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Auto Finesse Wheel Soap Review Thread

Post by Life160 »

After a rainy week in JHB - my wheels were in dire need of a clean. My wheels also do not have and protection but do get a proper clean each week using AF Imperial and Maxi-Suds II.

I set out early Saturday morning to give my car a proper wash and test out the the wheels soap...

I used 3 caps to 3.5 litres of water. After a quick blast with my HP washer the wheel soap / water mix produced a rich, sticky thick foam.

First off, the bubblegum smell is awesome. The suds are also quite thick - which made washing the wheels easier as the suds stuck to the wheel a lot longer than my regular car wash shampoos.

I used my Muc-Off soft bristle brush to wash the wheel face and my Valet Bro brushes to clean the bolts, etc.

Each wheel was s breeze to clean and the soap rinsed off easily..

My only after pic:

Verdict:
I think it's nice to have a dedicated wheel soap that smells great and cleans well too. I must say that it terms of cleaning - AF Imperial (my go-to cleaner) cleans as well as the new wheel soap. However if my wheels were protected - I suppose the dedicated wheel soap would pro-long the need to re-protect as often?
Last edited by Life160 on Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
MK6 GTI 12' (APR)

Ex:
Citi Life 01' - 1.6i 8v :(
76.6kw/144nm (RBTS)
SemiColon
I sparkle in the sunlight
Registered for: 14 years 1 month
Car Make: Volvo
Car Model: S40 T5
Membership No: 1641

Post by SemiColon »

Not gonna harp on about what has being said, soaps up nicely, smells good, removes dirt/dust easily.

I couldn't really get a pic to show how it shines.

Before, Wheels weren't that dirty.
Front
Rear

After washing:

Dried:

It worked well and gave the wheels a layer of some shine :grin: :thumbup:
八拾六
Stompie
Boostleak Guru

Post by Stompie »

So my wheels werent that dirty or well i thought they werent until i saw the end results!

The soap smells awesome, Makes a nice foam and really works well!

I used half a bottle in a luke warm bucket of water (probably a little too much but it worked good)

I didnt use my pressure washer just the normal hose and also no scrubbing brush was used, just a Roland MF glove.

Here are the pictures, they speak for them selves:

Finished product :

after some tyre silicone:

All done

BMW 120D E87
cli 16v
Lieutenant
Registered for: 16 years 5 months
Car Make: Mazda
Car Model: CX5

Post by cli 16v »

Since Aslam could not do this review, he asked if I could assist.

My wheels were quiet dirty due to the rain we had in Vanderbijlpark last week and since I use the car to work now and work at a steel mill alot of dirt, grease and oil get onto the wheels. My initial impression of the wheel soap was good and the concentrate is quite thick and has a nice bubblegum smell. I just my wheels a rinse with hose pipe and followed the instructions above to mix the wheel soap. The wheel soap foams up nicely and lasts quite long without dissipating, the solution has great lubricity and does not dry easily. Using a Mothers wheel brush I was quite amazed at how easily it removed the dirt form the wheel, wheel barrels and tyres.

My wheels were protected using a wax and it still has that great gloss afterwards. Overall this is a great product as a wheel soap considering it is maintenance product to ensure the wax on the wheels are not removed. I am keen to seen the effects on using it on a foam trigger with a little longer dwell time on more contaminated wheels (I will try to do this and post feedback).

Before:

Suds

After
Ex:
13' Audi A4 B8.5 1.8T SE - OEM+
'15 MKVII GTi
'07 MKV GTi OEM+
'89 MKII Golf CSL OEM
'97 MKIII GTi Exec
'92 MKII Jetta CLi 2.0 16v Exec
Deranged_9n3
Darth Vader
Registered for: 13 years 3 months
Car Model: Polo 1.9TDI Sportline
Membership No: 1639

Post by Deranged_9n3 »

Am I the only person not to have reviewed this yet ?? :fear: damn

Luckilly my car is due for a wash today :grin:
My Youtube Channel

Tiguan Track & Field 4Motion

20" Rotors l Airlift Performance l 63mm Downpipe and DPF Delete l PD-Tuning Software

Polo TDi RaceCar

GTB2260VZK l 76mm Stainless DP and FF l FMIC + Stainless Boost Pipes l Nitrous l PD-Tuning Software

GTB2260VZK
13.2 1/4mile @ ODI

Loud 'n Low, Rollin' Coal
Kyle
General
Registered for: 11 years
Car Make: Porsche
Car Model: Adidas TYP 64
Membership No: 1922

Post by Kyle »

Some awesome reviews
Current:
'03 BMW E46 330i Individual

Ex:
'06 Impreza 2.0R Wagon
'03 S3 8L
'11 A3 1.6TDi
'70 VW Beetle 1600 Twin Port
'00 A4 2.4 V6,
'09 Ibiza Cupra 1.8T,
2013 Vivo Gran Turismo,
E36 M3 Coupe,
E46 320i Individual MSport,
'98 Civic V Tec,
E36 318is Msport,
E30 318i Coupe,
GOLF MK1 GT

Why make things easy for yourself when you can make them incredibly difficult and complicated.
Mitch
Colonel
Registered for: 11 years 6 months
Car Model: Polo 1.0 R-Line
Membership No: 1840

Post by Mitch »

During my weekly wash I was able to give the AutoFinesse Wheel Soap at test. Please forgive me for not adding photo's as yet. I did take a few with my point and shoot camera, but left it at home today.

The wheels washed are my Diamond Cut Detroits. Sometime this week I will give the Wheel Soap a try on my Avignons, which are a different (painted) finish to the Detroits. Please keep in mind that my Detroits have never been detailed or sealed by myself as yet. So the level of "protection" currently on the wheels is that afforded by the wonderful people at McCarthy VW.

The wheels themselves are in dire need of a proper detail. There are several stains that require a more aggressive approach to cleaning. I think that it is important, from the outset, that users understand that the AutoFinesse wheel soap is not meant to be an agressive wheel cleaner, but is rather intended for your weekly maintenance wash. For the more infrequent deep clean and seal, there are dedicated products like Autofinesse Imperial, and others offered by various suppliers. That being said, I was pleasantly surprised by the results offered by this product.

Starting out with one's first impression of most detailiing products, the smell. Like most people, the first thing I do when opening a new bottle of detailing goodness, is smell the product. As is customary with most Autofinesse products (unless you are dumb enough to smell the IronOut of Oblitarate), the smell is really pleasant. Not overpowering but strong enough to smell while working with it.

The wheel soap has a really thick consistency, and a little really goes a long way. I used 4 capfuls (the sample cap is really small) into 3 litres of water. When filling the bucket by hose, the soap really foams up nicely, forming a dense, sticky foam for you to work with.

My chosen wash implements were nothing fancy. An old microfibre wash mitt that has done enough service on paintwork, which has now been relegated to cleaning wheels, and a small paint brush bought from a hardware store, for the more hard to reach places. Of course, 2 buckets were used.

When washing the wheels by mitt, the foam clings much better to the wheels than regular body shampoo. I felt that I needed to apply less pressure than I usually do, which in my books is a good things, minimising the risk of rubbing particles into the surface of the wheel. The foam settled nicely in areas like the wheel bolt holes, and a quick agitation with the brush lifted off the surface dirt.

The end result was a marginally better appearance than my normal wash with body shampoo. But the better result was achieved with less effort and less product.

Again, I must emphasise that tougher stains were not removed by the wheel soap, and customers should not expect those kind of miracles from a maintenance wash product.

I agree that there is currently a gap in the market for a product like this. I would imagine that once my wheels have been properly detailed and sealed, this product will make that weekly wash so much easier and faster, with minimal pressure needed to be applied to the wheel.

An added benefit of adding a dedicated wheel soap to my detailing arsenal, is the savings in body shampoo I would see. A bottle would last almost twice as long. If Autofinesse gets the pricing on this right, I believe there will be a positive acceptance from enthusiasts. I for one would be keen to add a bottle to my collection.

Thanks for reading. I will try upload pictures tomorrow, and add a review on how this product worked on my Avignon wheels, once I get a chance to clean my wife's car. I think the result will be even better, as the Avignons were sealed when I had them on my Polo.
Current:
2019 VW Polo Vivo GT 1.0TSI (Reef Blue Metallic)

Past:
2019 Toyota Rav-4 GX-R AWD (Graphite Grey Metallic)
2019 VW Polo 1.0 R-Line (Reef Blue Metallic)
2012 VW MKVI GTI (Candy White)
2011 VW Polo 6R Comfortline (Black Magic Pearl)
2008 Opel Corsa Lite+ (Silver)
1990 VW Fox 1.3 (Red)
Deranged_9n3
Darth Vader
Registered for: 13 years 3 months
Car Model: Polo 1.9TDI Sportline
Membership No: 1639

Post by Deranged_9n3 »

Washed my car and wheels this morning :grin:

Like everyone else mentioned, it smells nice, a little goes a long way, cleans and foams up nicely, does exactly what you would expect from a wheel shampoo :hi:

Before
Not too dirty :oops:

After

my favorite shot :cool:

This is definitely a nice product to work with. Anyone who loves to wash his own car at home could make use of this. You will use less of your wash soap when you use this product to wash your wheels, if you are OCD enough to wash your wheels, rinse your buckets and start with fresh soapy water for the body !
My Youtube Channel

Tiguan Track & Field 4Motion

20" Rotors l Airlift Performance l 63mm Downpipe and DPF Delete l PD-Tuning Software

Polo TDi RaceCar

GTB2260VZK l 76mm Stainless DP and FF l FMIC + Stainless Boost Pipes l Nitrous l PD-Tuning Software

GTB2260VZK
13.2 1/4mile @ ODI

Loud 'n Low, Rollin' Coal
Kyle
General
Registered for: 11 years
Car Make: Porsche
Car Model: Adidas TYP 64
Membership No: 1922

Post by Kyle »

Man there's just something about properly sorted bright silver wheels :drool:
Current:
'03 BMW E46 330i Individual

Ex:
'06 Impreza 2.0R Wagon
'03 S3 8L
'11 A3 1.6TDi
'70 VW Beetle 1600 Twin Port
'00 A4 2.4 V6,
'09 Ibiza Cupra 1.8T,
2013 Vivo Gran Turismo,
E36 M3 Coupe,
E46 320i Individual MSport,
'98 Civic V Tec,
E36 318is Msport,
E30 318i Coupe,
GOLF MK1 GT

Why make things easy for yourself when you can make them incredibly difficult and complicated.
Anees
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 7 months
Car Model: Polo Vivo

Post by Anees »

Tried out this product over the weekend and was quite impressed!

As mentioned above, a little goes a long way. It suds up beautifully and bites through brakedust easily!
Would recommend it to anyone looking for a dedicated wheel soap :hurray:

Unfortunately my camera got taken to work with my dad so I'll post pics a bit later
Anees Hoosen

Current
OEM+ '14 Polo Vivo
H&R l OEM Audi Sline 17's l PGTI Goodies l Jabsport Lighting

Past
'02 Polo 2.0 8V
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge
Registered for: 13 years 7 months
Car Model: Sea Blue Polo Vivo
Membership No: 1676

Post by lawrence »

Nice reviews and it seems like a solid product for maintenance washing.

:hurray:
zane.mk1
Major
Registered for: 12 years 8 months
Car Model: Audi RS3

Post by zane.mk1 »

lawrence wrote:Nice reviews and it seems like a solid product for maintenance washing.

Agreed!
His: '18 Nardo Grey Audi RS3
Hers: '19 VW T-Cross 1.0 TSI Highline DSG
Weekender: 'Searching for a neat enough VR6...
crumbs
Race Chip

Post by crumbs »

lawrence wrote:Nice reviews and it seems like a solid product for maintenance washing.

Not your quality reviews but we trying :oops:
marzbars
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 16 years 1 month
Car Model: 1988 Corrado 16V
Membership No: 1316

Post by marzbars »

Seems like something worth having
Stompie
Boostleak Guru

Post by Stompie »

Must say that compared to normal car shampoo, this worked alot better for me.

Usually after washing the wheels with normal car shampoo, there was still marks etc.

after washing the wheels with this soap, as you can see there are no marks and the wheels are a nice smooth matte black.
BMW 120D E87
Pristine Detailing
Cadet

Awesome feedback guys :hug:
Thank you so much for taking time out and doing the pics as well :kewlpics:
Much appreciated
Vishal Nair
Pristine Detailing
rodga
Nazi Spelling Master
Registered for: 16 years 4 months
Car Model: MKVI GTI
Membership No: 1323

Post by rodga »

My wheels were quite bad. Just to give you some background, it didn't have any protection and the brake dust and dirt 5000km trip to the Cape didn't help. The car is about 12 years old, and I doubt the wheels have seen a clean better than what the car wash can do.

The wheels before. Fronts, first 2 pics, noticeably with more brake dust. During the trip I got puncture, so the spare wheel was bolted on in the 4th pic. As you can see it was quite bad, with some yellowish stains and baked on dirt that have just been sitting in the boot for most of the cars life.

Front left wheel

FR wheel

Rear

Rear spare

First up was a hose down with the karcher on the FL wheel. Compared to the first pic, it took off quite a bit of the dirt.

I only used about 2 capfulls in smallish bucket, perhaps that was a bit optimistic. Let's see!

Put some of the mixture on the wheels and gave it a few minutes to dwell.

Then wash and wipe down with a cheapie mitt.

Then I hit the harder to reach areas with the wheel brush.

Even tried using it neat as toothpaste on those stubborn corners.

Wasn't very effective, but I wasn't surprised as these wheels were in need of a thorough decontamination and clean.

Not too bad for a dedicated wheel cleaner on a set of wheels with no protection hey?

FL wheel after

Unfortunately the best I could do with the spare wheel was this. It definitely requires a stronger product to get it looking good again.

The I decided to get the "spare" out of the boot and clean it up and mount it as the the other was really looking out of place.
This gave me a chance to clean the barrel as well the inside face.

Before:
ImageImage

And the inside!

Same procedure as before, first with mitt then the wheel brush and finally the toothbrush in the small hard to reach corners and bolt holes.

The inside had to have about 3 or 4 goes with the mitt and the brush to get something decent.

Then hit the wheel with some smartwax rim wax.
ImageImageImage

Do I think it's a good product? Yes. The auto finesse wheel soap definitely impressed me.
Hopefully the price point it comes in at will make it an attractive addition to the weekend or professional detailers toolbox.
Will I buy it? Probably not.
I will get something stronger to get rid of the harder stuff and then use a mild apc solution for general cleaning.
Last edited by rodga on Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*** The MKVI How-To, FAQ, and Do-It-Yourself Guide ***
rodga's ride
'10 MKVI GTI - tornado red, manual, sunroof, xenons
'09 Generic XOR 125 - matte black - Daily Driver :)