Hi and Hello. PLease assist

Please introduce yourself here when you join our Forum
The Admiral
Enlisted
Registered for: 2 years

Hi and Hello. PLease assist

Post by The Admiral »

I have a Golf 5 1.6 '07. The car has very very very poor acceleration at the first 3 gears, it sounds like a mini motorbike. The car is dragging, no power at all. I have to afford steeps cause i won't make it up. 4th and 5th gear the car is smooth. But sometimes 5th gear the car would lose power and i have to keep changing down to 4th gear. Mechanic checked air filter, mass air flow sensor, fuel filter replaced, oxygen sensor checked, throttle body, spark plugs and catalytic converter. only the Fuel Pump has not been replaced. When connected to a computer, it shows no errors.
Belix
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 14 years
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Passat B8
Membership No: missing

Re: Hi and Hello. PLease assist

Post by Belix »

sounding like a motor bike (assuming its a small single cylinder motor bike) makes me think not all the pistons are firing, but I would think that would show up on error codes, and should be obvious to a mechanic. Does the car sound like a motor bike at idle or only in gears 1-3?
The Admiral
Enlisted
Registered for: 2 years

Post by The Admiral »

Belix wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:23 pm sounding like a motor bike (assuming its a small single cylinder motor bike) makes me think not all the pistons are firing, but I would think that would show up on error codes, and should be obvious to a mechanic. Does the car sound like a motor bike at idle or only in gears 1-3?
The pistons were checked. Even when I went to VW the mechanic there drove the car and mentioned everything that's been checked or replaced. So the only thing left now to change is the petrol pump, i just dont wanna pay so much only to find it's not it. At VW again, they plugged it on a computer, no errors showed.
mk2-phreak
Captain
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by mk2-phreak »

The Admiral wrote:
Belix wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:23 pm sounding like a motor bike (assuming its a small single cylinder motor bike) makes me think not all the pistons are firing, but I would think that would show up on error codes, and should be obvious to a mechanic. Does the car sound like a motor bike at idle or only in gears 1-3?
The pistons were checked. Even when I went to VW the mechanic there drove the car and mentioned everything that's been checked or replaced. So the only thing left now to change is the petrol pump, i just dont wanna pay so much only to find it's not it. At VW again, they plugged it on a computer, no errors showed.
Did they log if all cylinders are firing? Spark and injection at all cylinders? Just because there wasn't an error code doesn't mean everything is fine. They can also log fuel pressure and various other parameters before you start throwing the parts cannon at this thing

Other things to check include the coil packs, spark plugs and even a compression check.
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 4 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Post by Neuk »

Welcome and enjoy the forum :wink:
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
Reegz
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 18 years 6 months
Membership No: 1400

Post by Reegz »

Welcome to the forum. Hope you get sorted with your issue soon.
2016 Golf 7 Tyre Devourer
2012 Touran 2.0 TDI Comfortline
---- Ex ----
2012 Golf 6 GTi Edition 35 - RIP :-(
2012 Jetta 6 1.4 Comfortline - SOLD
2004 Ducati Monster 400 - SOLD
[2002 Polo Playa 1.6 2.0l - Sold
2008 Honda CBR 600RR - SOLD
2006 Honda CBR 600RR Movistar - Gone to Heaven
1996 Citi Golf CTi - SOLD
Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 4 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Post by Jetta2 »

What motor does this motorbike have to narrow down what sound it is?

Single cylinder?
Parallel twin?
V twin?
V four?
Straight three?
Straight four?
Straight six?
Flat two?
Flat six?
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI