Golf R MK7.5 Warranty Question and Stage 2 Build?

Please introduce yourself here when you join our Forum
Tiaan1990
Enlisted
Registered for: 2 years 10 months

Golf R MK7.5 Warranty Question and Stage 2 Build?

Post by Tiaan1990 »

Hi all,
Tiaan here from Cape Town, South Africa.
Quick question (for MK 7.5 Golf R Owners):
1. I bought a 2017 Golf MK 7.5R and it had a RGM downpipe on it and RGM intake when I bought it from VW Mastercars. I bought it with extended warranty. Does the Downpipe and intercooler (which it had on when I bought the car from VW) void the warranty? Someone told me it did.
2. I am considering doing Stage 2 (ECU and DSG tune as I already have intake and downpipe on). I know this will void warranty but was wondering if anyone else has been down this road and what the experience has been like in terms of reliability?

Currently my car has 40,000 km on the odometer.

Looking forward to the feedback!
amstel18
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Tiguan Allspace
Membership No: missing

Re: Golf R MK7.5 Warranty Question and Stage 2 Build?

Post by amstel18 »

I'd get it in writing from the dealer you bought from that the existing mods wont affect the warranty.

did they sell you the extended warranty?

most likely that car had software at some point or at least a chip of some sort.

Sent from my MI 9 using Tapatalk

Current:
2022 GWM P-Series LT 4x4
Ex:
2018 VW Tiguan Allspace
2013 Audi A3 Sportback 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
2015 Pure White 1.2tsi Comfortline
2011 2L BiTdi ROK D/C Highline
2006 Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI
91 Caddy, ADY motor on mp9, wildcat 4-1 branch and 50mm Evolution s/s exhaust
96 1600 Chico (sold)
dcmk4
Lieutenant
Registered for: 9 years 11 months
Car Model: MK7 GTi

Post by dcmk4 »

It would be safe to assume the warranty would be void if you took the car in for any sort of warranty related claim.
I wouldn't take the salesman's word for it if they had to say it's not going to affect the warranty.

Are you sure the car doesn't have software already seeing as it has mods on it?
'14 Golf Mk7 GTI
THANAS STG/// ECU&DSG
Littco L380x
All the ponies
J0NN0
Registered for: 12 years 2 months
Car Make: No Name
Car Model: Tekkies
Membership No: 1725

Post by J0NN0 »

Hello @Tiaan1990 and welcome to the VW Club Forum! :hi:

We all hope that you enjoy your stay here and consider the wonderful opportunity of becoming a VWCSA Member which gets you awesome vwclub merchandise and discount to our events for only R350.

Before you do, please have a look at the Forum Rules.

As well as the rules we have for Private Sales.

If you have any questions pertaining to your vehicle and not to do with Introducing yourself post it in the Technical Discussions section.

Please feel free to join in on the Events, its huge fun, and non-members are also more than welcome to join in on the action. Hope to see you at an event soon.

Now that you have introduced yourself to the forum, have a look at starting a Rides Thread and show us what you cruise the streets with. :driving:

(How to Post a Picture).

We look forward to having you on the forum, and hope to see you grow in the club, by becoming a member, and most of all, making new friends.

Cheers :hug:
Jonno

2002 Volkswagen Lupo 1.4TDI - SAC: 87.7 kw 276.1nm
2018 Mitsubishi Triton 2.4 D/C 4x4
2006 Mitsubishi Colt Clubcab 2800 TDI
2003 Volkswagen Lupo 1.4 16v Auto
2007 SEAT LEON FR
1983 Volkswagen Caddy - Panic: 319.7hp 360nm
2008 SEAT LEON CUPRA - Oettinger: 191kw 352nm
2008 SEAT IBIZA CUPRA - HM Auto: 146.9hp 244nm
2007 SEAT LEON FR - KAR: 163.2kw 337nm
2007 Volkswagen Polo 1.6
2001 Ford Fiesta Flite 1.4i
VWCSA Membership Number: 1725
Tiaan1990
Enlisted

Post by Tiaan1990 »

Hi all, thanks for the responses. I contacted some VW Dealers in Cape Town and they notified me that it immediately voids the warranty for gearbox and engine.
Phoned the salesman and needless to say he said that he disagrees and it should not affect the warranty.
So I am also going to check with VW if the software has been tampered with. This does make me wonder if I have a claim to return the vehicle and ask for my money back since I don't have much of a warranty on the engine and exhaust as things stand right now...
dcmk4
Lieutenant
Registered for: 9 years 11 months
Car Model: MK7 GTi

Post by dcmk4 »

Can you try verify with VW on the status of the original VW warranty to see whether it was voided by the previous owner?
Seems a bit ridiculous to get you to pay for an extended warranty on a car they know is modified.
'14 Golf Mk7 GTI
THANAS STG/// ECU&DSG
Littco L380x
All the ponies
Tiaan1990
Enlisted

Post by Tiaan1990 »

Currently the warranty is active and not voided so I think it might just have been a conservative view from the dealer. I e-mailed the Head of Servicing at the dealership (VW Claremont) and he said they would service the vehicle as long as no software upgrades have been done... There goes that idea I guess for Stage 2.
Secondly, has anyone had any experience with insurance providers in insuring vehicles that have had some upgrades done?
iWyze (my current insurer) informed me yesterday after I made the mistake of being honest about the 2x parts on the car (downpipe and intake) that they will no longer cover me after the 24th of next month. I find this a bit ridiculous so just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience? I see so many cars (especially GTIs and Golf Rs) that are obviously modded and just wondering to myself how do they get around the insurance aspect of it?
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

@Tiaan1990 the sad truth is that many people out there modify their cars and are not honest with their insurers and dealers. It's more common than you would think, neither is it limited to VW drivers.

If IWyse will no longer insure you then I suggest you get another company that will.

You are insuring the car in "as purchased" condition, get the selling dealer to provide you a letter stating that the parts in question were there prior to you buying the car.

Many cars out there have stainless exhaust systems and are insured without problems, it can be argued that they are performance modifications, same can be said for aftermarket alloy wheels that are fitted to many cars when new. Speakers and sound systems too. Insurance companies happily take money from clients for those parts as extras, so why is your downpipe any different?

If the car was used for racing or for purposes the car was not intended for, then yes I would understand their point, but your is not the case, tell them to insert their policy somewhere the sun doesn't shine.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Mass
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 1 month

Post by Mass »

The best way to know if the mods void your warranty or limit what parts you can claim on the warranty is to read the actual policy wording. My bet is that any alterations to factory spec will result in repudiated claims.

My advice is to get it in writing from the selling dealer that they were aware that the car had mods at the time of sale. Once they do that, use that admission to cancel and get a refund on your warranty if it was sold to you by the same dealership.

I wouldn't bet on the hope that your next breakdown is covered by the warranty, different dealers might take a less liberal view than others when it comes to reporting mods to the underwriter at the claims stage.
JCTPUBLISHERS
Cadet
Registered for: 3 years 9 months

Post by JCTPUBLISHERS »

Dealers & insurers tell u anything- wait till u claim- then they throw the book at u?