VWCSA Presents: Run What You Brung V2

Details on upcoming VWCSA events...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting on the VWCSA Forum as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

VWCSA Forum Posting Rules and Guidelines
Trishen94
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 5 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Mk5 gti

Re: VWCSA Presents: Run What You Brung V2

Post by Trishen94 »

Hi sebz I speak with all due respect and just trying to help the club so plz don't find me to be rude I'm just being straight forward .... I think that's where the issue lies ...advertising... u cant spend 10-20k on hiring the track tell 50 people on social media... spend zero on advertising and expect 100 people to attend it will never happen... maybe personally speak to and invite tuners ask them to put up some posters at their workshops and also ask them to do an add on their Facebook page and website .not every1 with a race car checks the vw forum ...i doubt making 50 posters would cost alot some1 might even sponsor them ... the ticket price was very cheap so we all expected the place to be packed due to it being well organised and cheap. but how will people come if they don't even know about the event ...if u look at the rock raceway on a WEEKDAY NIGHT the place is packed and that scene is nothing compared to what u guys put together u were miles ahead of them ...also maybe throw in a show n shine to cater for a little more people other than the racers ...i love my car , spent alot on it cosmetic and performance but will never put it on the track but I would do an occasional dyno run or show n shine so yeah if help is needed I will gladly help out by offering my time to help advertise if needed
Current :2008 S3 8P (panic mechanic +thanas) 227kw /309hp 473nm
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=217296

Ex :2008 mk5 gti ... really miss this car

Previous :too many to list
Sebz
Lieutenant
Registered for: 9 years 9 months
Car Make: BMW
Car Model: 135i E82 N54 ST 6MT
Membership No: 3020

Post by Sebz »

Trishen94 wrote:Hi sebz I speak with all due respect and just trying to help the club so plz don't find me to be rude I'm just being straight forward .... I think that's where the issue lies ...advertising... u cant spend 10-20k on hiring the track tell 50 people on social media... spend zero on advertising and expect 100 people to attend it will never happen... maybe personally speak to and invite tuners ask them to put up some posters at their workshops and also ask them to do an add on their Facebook page and website .not every1 with a race car checks the vw forum ...i doubt making 50 posters would cost alot some1 might even sponsor them ... the ticket price was very cheap so we all expected the place to be packed due to it being well organised and cheap. but how will people come if they don't even know about the event ...if u look at the rock raceway on a WEEKDAY NIGHT the place is packed and that scene is nothing compared to what u guys put together u were miles ahead of them ...also maybe throw in a show n shine to cater for a little more people other than the racers ...i love my car , spent alot on it cosmetic and performance but will never put it on the track but I would do an occasional dyno run or show n shine so yeah if help is needed I will gladly help out by offering my time to help advertise if needed
Hey Trishen. Thank you for the constructive thoughts! :hi:

Look, we did approach a number of tuning houses directly and even had the event shared by the organisers of the upcoming Drag Wars in their event on Facebook.

I certainly agree that our advertising methods need to improve though, as we had a huge social media reach and hundreds of clicks on our event that registered as “interested” or “going” yet those didn’t really materialise.

The root problem that we’re trying to address is that a large portion of those that did show up and race / spectate - maybe even half - were non members and people who don’t even know about / frequent the forum. This brings up the question of how to attract the members who have a lot of good intentions and nice things to say / opinions about what events we should run, but still don’t attend. After all, they’re our first concern and who we do this for, and potential members our second priority.

Basically, we just want to attract those who are financially and physically able to attend VWCSA events that they used to.

Maybe, and this is a big maybe, we should start catering more to those who have never shown an interest in the club before attending a recent event, as these petrol heads may be the ones who carry the club forward one day. Maybe our nostalgia is unwarranted. Maybe I’m talking a load of garbage. But the bottom line is that we take all suggestions to heart and try to work based on what people who have even a small history with the club *say* they want and then often don’t see support from those same people - hence why I challenge members to attend the AGM and debate the direction that the club should take when it comes to performance events.

EDIT: just so that people understand the position the club is in after events like this - hiring Redstar with timing cost over R50k......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Single turbo BMW 135i N54 6MT

Ex's:
Brilliant BMW 135i E82 N55 6MT
Stupidly static THANAS Tuned '05 Audi A4 B7 2.0T FSi

Definitely down-to-earth '03 Audi A3 8L 1.8T
Ludicrously lowered K04 '03 Audi A4 Avant B6 1.8T
Sorta slammed '15 VW Polo Vivo GT 1.6
Stock standard '05 Opel Corsa D Ute 1.4
Ridiculously reliable '81 VW Passat CSL Estate 2.2 5-pot

It's not how you stand by your car; it's how you scrape your car. You better learn that.
Trishen94
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 5 months
Car Model: Mk5 gti

Post by Trishen94 »

Tjoh sebz 50k is a **** load of money I'm sure 90% of that is lost on this event. I will still attend all the club events especially the AGM to put in my 2c ...alot of the older guys won't make it due to family commitments and age they've grown out of it, so us the new generation will have to cover up/fill in the missing links ...will definitely fill in and help out if needed just shout :hug:
Current :2008 S3 8P (panic mechanic +thanas) 227kw /309hp 473nm
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=217296

Ex :2008 mk5 gti ... really miss this car

Previous :too many to list
Sebz
Lieutenant

Post by Sebz »

Trishen94 wrote:Tjoh sebz 50k is a **** load of money I'm sure 90% of that is lost on this event. I will still attend all the club events especially the AGM to put in my 2c ...alot of the older guys won't make it due to family commitments and age they've grown out of it, so us the new generation will have to cover up/fill in the missing links ...will definitely fill in and help out if needed just shout :hug:
Much appreciated! :hug: :hug: :hug:

Ex's:

It's not how you stand by your car; it's how you scrape your car. You better learn that.
Rascal69
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 15 years 11 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK1
Membership No: 1490

Post by Rascal69 »

I for one appreciate that you guys put together so many events for us throughout the year.. Not many other clubs do this now days...

Personally i didn't wanna enter RWYB as i've already committed to Dubrun which is around the corner.
Current: 2007 ///M Coupe
Current: 2019 Fortuner 4x4

Ex: 2005 E55 AMG
Ex: 1998 BMW M3
Ex: 2011 REVO 2 Focus ST - 208wkw & 465nm's (FRnR)
Ex: 1994 E36 328i Track Car (Budler Motorsport built)
Ex: 2011 REVO 2 Mk6 GTI DSG - 200wkw & 452nm's (KAR)
Ex: 2007 REVO 2+ S3 - 12.7s @ 176km/h (Tarlton 2010) and 224km's on 1km (ODI)
Ex: 2006 Velo 1.6i | 2008 Velo 1.6i | 2005 Velo 1.4i | 2006 Polo 1.6i | 2012 Polo TDI | 2004 W203 C200K
shamalm
Cadet
Registered for: 7 years 9 months
Car Make: vw
Car Model: MK5 gti

Post by shamalm »

Maybe you guys shoud come to the smaller town and make it happen. I am from ladysmith and we dont get to see much of the vw club or any motorsport event. I am not a member of the club as yet but i have been for the last four dubruns and it was the boss. There is a drag strip in dundee whuch is not far from ladysmith and i am sure you will pull a crowd there.
'06 MK5 Gti - viezu sw and viper dp
'87 Jetta cli 16v exec
'08 polo 1.6 comfortline
'03 mk4 gti - revo sw and fastcar exhaust
'85 mk2 gti 1.8 8v
R-G
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 9 months

Post by R-G »

Hi Guys

Just want to say thank you for a great event :hug:
This is the only event I attend of the VWCSA and it will be very sad if the annual drag event gets cancelled. Hope you can make a plan to keep it going.
I agree with the advertising part, if the club members are not interested to attend maybe do more marketing/new ideas to get other racers to pitch.
Hoosier Daddy
Colonel
Registered for: 11 years 2 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Golf VI R
Membership No: 2023

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

It's evident that most of us are racers because we all had excuses on the day :lol: However, it's one day in a year. Those who attended also had to budget for it, R1000 doesn't just knock on your door. If you were truly interested and wanted to support the club, you would have been there - racing or not.

And many guys brought up Tarlton Friday Nights, how often do you guys attend that? And how many runs do you get out of it? I mean Tuner Wars was R3000 entry... think about that
My Dream: Gipsy Danger
My First Love: Lucy
Nikz_tsc wrote:Don't be an elachi bhai
Titleists
Philosopher STIG
Registered for: 14 years 7 months
Car Model: 2016 Golf R
Membership No: 1520

Post by Titleists »

Real pity that events are organised and then the entry fees don't cover the costs. Shame on the guys who are quick to RSVP and then you don't pitch. Cars cost money and the only way we can all have fun is when everyone puts in his few hundred bucks to help cover costs.

Perhaps the bigger clubs must also be invited when there is an event like this.
I'm sure the BMW/Porsche/Nissan/Subaru guys would have been there. If they were invited, sorry, I'll eat my words...

Irfaan :hi: , it's not about competing against other cars, it's about competing against yourself. Getting the start right, shifting at the right moment etc.
But yes, I hear what you say about competing while fasting, it just doesn't go hand in hand. :fear:

I wish we had events like this in CT. We have one track and that's it. Nothing else. You guys should appreciate it more and really make an effort to support it.
VCDS changes done by me for a minimal fee

My ex rides:

2013 LHD Scirocco R
2011 Golf 6 GTI
smoothscott
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 10 months
Car Make: Honduh!
Car Model: 'Lard
Membership No: missing

Post by smoothscott »

Hoosier Daddy wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:52 am Those who attended also had to budget for it, R1000 doesn't just knock on your door. If you were truly interested and wanted to support the club, you would have been there - racing or not.

And many guys brought up Tarlton Friday Nights, how often do you guys attend that? And how many runs do you get out of it? I mean Tuner Wars was R3000 entry... think about that
This...

I personally budgeted around R1200 for this event and it was worth every cent. There is nothing out there that can get a racer the value for such an excellently organised event and so many runs...I understand that more entries were needed and would ultimately end up in less runs for racers, but even then...still worth it.

Thanks to all that organised and will attend far more VWCSA events in the future...

Can I bring my Honduh to Dubrun? :hug:
TINY
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 9 months
Car Model: Polo sportline tdi
Membership No: missing

Post by TINY »

Hi guys...

Thanks for an epic event. I really enjoyed myself on Sunday. Being my first event back with this club , it quickly reminded me why I loved it so many years back! Can’t wait for Dubrun

got smoke??!
Sebz
Lieutenant

Post by Sebz »

smoothscott wrote:
Hoosier Daddy wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:52 am Those who attended also had to budget for it, R1000 doesn't just knock on your door. If you were truly interested and wanted to support the club, you would have been there - racing or not.

This...

I personally budgeted around R1200 for this event and it was worth every cent. There is nothing out there that can get a racer the value for such an excellently organised event and so many runs...I understand that more entries were needed and would ultimately end up in less runs for racers, but even then...still worth it.

Thanks to all that organised and will attend far more VWCSA events in the future...

Can I bring my Honduh to Dubrun? :hug:
You can bring a bicycle to DubRun if you so wish :hug: however, apparel orders have closed so your discounted DubRun entry would not include a shirt or hoodie... Pop me a PM or an email if you’re keen on coming down :hi:

Ex's:

4agedub
Cadet
Registered for: 20 years 8 months

Post by 4agedub »

Any chance of the final results to be posted with 60 ft times?
Find us on Facebook under Superbug Racing

VW Beetle A110 1303 Super beetle (1:09,6 Zwartkops, 2:10,3 RSR C)
VW Beetle E170 (1:12,5 Zwartkops. 2:03,9 Kyalami Pre 2016. 2:14,5 RSR C)
VW Beetle 2666cc Turbo Road Toy. 12.0 on the 1/4 @ 190km/h
Sebz
Lieutenant

Post by Sebz »

4agedub wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:31 pm Any chance of the final results to be posted with 60 ft times?
I'm still waiting for Truvelo to send them to me. Apologies for the delay - my mind has been elsewhere with DubRun looming. Hopefully tomorrow.

Ex's:

Hobbs
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 11 months
Car Model: GTI MK5 - 248kw 530nm - KO4
Membership No: 1848

Post by Hobbs »

Was a good day out at redstar. Was good seeing old faces there.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

MK5 GTI
GTX30
Forged motor
power uknown
Rox_Star
Wheel Whore
Registered for: 11 years 1 month
Car Make: VW CITI Rox
Car Model: Citi Rox 2l 8v
Membership No: 1992

Post by Rox_Star »

Sebz wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:14 pm First of all, a huge thank you to everyone who actually took the time out to come and support their club and be there, even if they couldn't race. It was an absolute pleasure spending the day with like-minded enthusiasts once again - some of whom arrived so early that Redstar management hadn't even opened up yet! :driving:

Despite the loss of a large monetary investment not repaid in entries, we gave out a bunch of cash prizes as promised, but the real fun was behind the wheel - prizes were a distant thought and the weather was beautiful. Coupled with Redstar's brilliant facilities, I'm pleased to announce that despite the turnout being lower than promised, we had a very smooth day with no breakages or incidents on the track.

Thanks to our sponsors for the cash prizes - Karp Performance and Versaflex Insurance Brokers. You guys are awesome and helped us give back to some of the people who went out of their way to support us.

It's not all sunshine and roses though.

With yet another performance event being attended by very few forum and club members, we must think about what place performance events (besides the HillClimb) have in the club as 2020 approaches. Are we really a "stance" club? We don't host any show & shine events, so where are all the drivers at events like RWYB and VKC? We gave the internet what it asked for - performance events, then performance events with timing, yet attendance and participation still isn't so hot.

I propose that we as the people who use this forum think about what we want from the club and submit our requests at the AGM in November.

Maybe next year, we won't lose as much and we can spend more money on events like our free dyno for our members, as we should :hug:

With all the above in mind, it must be said that yesterday was once again a resounding success overall with lots of entertainment for drivers and spectators alike and I hope we can do it again soon! :hurray:

Now, bring on #DubRun2k19...
Hi guys, i think with the event being as the same day as Midvaal's event that happens on a first sunday, alot of people would have attended that. Just my thoughts. Would have loved to attend, but car wasnt race ready. Possibly the next one if it happens.
298cam, Branch, Exhaust, Diktator Management
110wkw 180nm :twisted:
With some extra Peri Peri

Daily Driven
"Eat sum More"
DieterMK5
Lieutenant
Registered for: 10 years 1 month
Car Model: Jetta MK5 1.9 TDi
Membership No: 3015

Post by DieterMK5 »

Hi Guys

Again apologies for the delay for the final timing results.

But....here hey are :hurray:

https://www.vwclub.co.za/forms/VW%20Clu ... %20'19.pdf