Kyalami Track Experience 30-10-2011*Great Success*

Details on upcoming VWCSA events...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting on the VWCSA Forum as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

VWCSA Forum Posting Rules and Guidelines
Fran
Cadet
Registered for: 20 years 7 months
Membership No: 1306

Re: Kyalami Track Experience 30-10-2011*Great Success*

Post by Fran »

Well done for sticking with the Ferrari then! :driving:

He must have been worried about crashing that car too
2000 Vw Citi ABF 2.1 16v, tdi crank, 84mm pistons, Dicktator - 115.5kW & 202 Nm at the wheels
racingfreak
The "TIFF"
Registered for: 16 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK6 GTI CW
Membership No: 1238

Post by racingfreak »

Fran wrote:Well done for sticking with the Ferrari then! :driving:

He must have been worried about crashing that car too
The problem is that its much harder to drive a fast car fast, than to drive a slow car fast...if that makes sense

When I went around the Nordschleife with a Megane R26R I did a lap in 8'32.xx, two other guys, one with a e92 m3 and the other with a GT3RS couldnt get below 8'50.xx.

That said, a well driven example of the above should've creamed me by a mile!

REVO fanboy
Fran
Cadet
Registered for: 20 years 7 months
Membership No: 1306

Post by Fran »

Makes interesting reading. So then I conclude it is easier to push a slower car to its limits and a fast car that 'outsmarts' the driver.

Wow you lucky to have been around Nurburgring hey
2000 Vw Citi ABF 2.1 16v, tdi crank, 84mm pistons, Dicktator - 115.5kW & 202 Nm at the wheels
Sinbad
Post Whore
Registered for: 16 years 5 months
Car Make: Mercedes
Car Model: R170 AMG Hairdryer
Membership No: 1152

Post by Sinbad »

Fran wrote:Makes interesting reading. So then I conclude it is easier to push a slower car to its limits and a fast car that 'outsmarts' the driver.

Slower car is much less demanding - you are less likely to have control issues or enter a corner way too fast... ;)

katotter wrote:Geezus, I wanna be his girfriend.
racingfreak
The "TIFF"
Registered for: 16 years 7 months
Car Model: MK6 GTI CW
Membership No: 1238

Post by racingfreak »

Fran wrote:Makes interesting reading. So then I conclude it is easier to push a slower car to its limits and a fast car that 'outsmarts' the driver.

Well, yes and no...you can still make a huge mess with a "slowish" car, but the speeds at what you make the mistakes are just lower...so it gives you more "thinking" time

To catch a GT3 RS that steps out of line at 200kph+ requires some skill

I also had a moment at the ring where the back of the R26R stepped out at 180kph on Fuchsrohre (dip just before Adenauer)...luckely regained control

Check this link for some high speed car control...Mark Higgins in his Lancer Evo at Isle of Man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jSYiU-JdRw

REVO fanboy
Kibim
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 15 years 2 months
Car Model: AMG
Membership No: 1368

Post by Kibim »

I think what this should read is it's easier to push a FWD car hard than a RWD car hard. A RWD is going to want to turn around on you if you break traction (calling Marco), where a FWD car will just squeal and complain. A FWD you keep the steeringwheel pointed where you want to go and you're pretty much okay, a RWD you need to get your wheels pointing where the center of gravity of the car wants to go to regain traction. Too much and you'll tank slap, too little and you'll go around.

I know i could push my 300hp 600Nm volvo a LOT harder than i'm happy pushing the SLK, purely because it was more predictable, and understeered on power rather than trying turn around on itself. Yes, it had some serious lift off oversteer issues, but those were far easier to control and steer into under braking than a powerslide is to control.
.....Past Volvo S70R (GT3582R modded), Volvo XC70, Volvo 850 T5, VW Jetta VR6 (Rebored), VW Jetta CLX, VW Golf II GTS
Present Mercedes ML500, Mercedes SLK32 AMG
.Project '74 W114 Benz
MeanTdi
The Imposer Mod-whore-rator
Registered for: 18 years 1 month
Car Make: Subaru
Car Model: WRX
Membership No: 1153

Post by MeanTdi »

Kibim wrote:I think what this should read is it's easier to push a FWD car hard than a RWD car hard. A RWD is going to want to turn around on you if you break traction (calling Marco)....
So true, especially with the traction control switched off. :eek: :crazy:
Marco

Current: Subaru WRX
Ex: VW Polo 1.9 TDI Sportline
Ex: VW Golf VR6
Ex: VW Golf 1.8 GTi 16v

ALFAHOLIC wrote:What can go wrong, jarre you guys sound like you are describing an Alfa here...
My Corsa OPC wrote:Its not an oil leak, its just an Opel marking its territory :lol:
muhamme3
Wheel Whore

Post by muhamme3 »

racingfreak wrote:Mark Higgins in his Lancer Evo at Isle of Man
um, not an Evo....its an STI
SemiColon
I sparkle in the sunlight
Registered for: 14 years 1 month
Car Make: Volvo
Car Model: S40 T5
Membership No: 1641

Post by SemiColon »

muhamme3 wrote:
racingfreak wrote:Mark Higgins in his Lancer Evo at Isle of Man
um, not an Evo....its an STI
Yea...we all know EVO's cant corner for sh!t

On the road:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D6HXocBFlY

Or even looking for parking:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bg3c5Q6BNg
八拾六
playback
Captain
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Car Model: Jeep Wrangler,GTI 5 DSG K04
Membership No: 700

Post by playback »

Must say that I agree. Definately the best day we have ever done as a club.

I think we should try do more track days like these like Duratek handling track or maybe that other one in Vereeniging direction.

On my side the fastest I did lap wise was only 2:13:00 dead using Race Chrono. I was 3 up though when I did it.

I had to spend most of the morning bedding in the brakes and even at the end of the day they were still getting better and better.
Unfortunately it meant most of the time I was using a bigger braking distance just to make sure my confidance was up. Put it this way. I never activated the ABS even once so had some good margin left over.

It was my first time driving on that track and I loved it. Traction was a bit of a problem though and I kept loosing some distance comming out of the corners and then getting to the next corners a little faster than the other cars meaning harder braking again.

Was a lot of fun though. I only now need to improve on every corner :)

I was actually amased how grippy the track was and the GTI reminded me just how well they handle.The car is way more capable than the driver.

I also had a large moment in the S's where I carried too much speed in .....instinct got me off the gass and got good tank slapper on most of the way sideways through the S's .... We got a vid of it so will get it from my mate and post it on how not to drive :)

Meth wise we were using around 2.5L per session so we used quite a bit :) Car was faultless the whole day , will try get some pics though. Brakes got a little hot as the paint was comming off the caliper slightly but never faded and the front right tyre took a massive beating .

At the beggining in the early session I had Kibim chasing me in the Merc and was fun. Unfortunately in my class once my pace got better everyone went home so most of the time was driving alone but at least it allowed me to concerntrate on my driving.

I was pretty beaten by the end of the day though and the body was begging to go home. I was surprised as I am fairly fit at the moment.

Still wishing I had of had the proper brakes fitted on the car though. Brilliant day. Great seeing everyone again :)
10 Mini Cooper S - Convertible , Interchange Yellow , AEM CAI ,Downpipe
12 Jeep Wrangler - Unlimited RUBICON - Dozer Yellow
06 GTi DSG - K04 - Some mods , 0-100km/h 4.911sec(G-Tech) , 1km-ODI 228km/h

Ex 16 VW Club Up - L/100 Monster
Ex 05 POLO TDi 96kw - Dimsport , VNT17b Turbo , Decat
Ex Mk1 Deco 1.8 20Valve Turbo .Ankle tapped a light post . It won : (

Having no turbo is like having never-ending lag
Kibim
Lieutenant-General

Post by Kibim »

playback wrote:Must say that I agree. Definately the best day we have ever done as a club.
At the beggining in the early session I had Kibim chasing me in the Merc and was fun.
Still wishing I had of had the proper brakes fitted on the car though. Brilliant day. Great seeing everyone again :)
Glad you enjoyed it!

You think you had brake problems ...!? My powerbrake kit still hasn't arrived. I was on stock disks and some cheap and nasty pads. The disks have been skimmed to the minimum tollerance to reduce a terrible shudder I had. So my brakes were spongy, easy to overheat and bordering on useless. I would touch them here and there, but never made an effort to stand on them coming into a corner, unless I had messed up the lines. I think i could have been a lot quicker, but also driving off the brakes like that does save tyres and the rest of the car quite a bit.

I'm glad you've tested out the EBCs. I think i'll give them a try as powerbrake don't seem to be able to get the right stuff to me. Braided lines are a massive upgrade, and I'll be looking at a set of those for sure too.
.....Past Volvo S70R (GT3582R modded), Volvo XC70, Volvo 850 T5, VW Jetta VR6 (Rebored), VW Jetta CLX, VW Golf II GTS
.Project '74 W114 Benz
Sinbad
Post Whore

Post by Sinbad »

I don't think my abs kicked in once but I did get the hazards on a couple of times. Brake pad wear on the day was negligible!

Kibim
Lieutenant-General

Post by Kibim »

My ESP light thought Christmas came early :lol:
.Project '74 W114 Benz
Sinbad
Post Whore

Post by Sinbad »

Kibim wrote:My ESP light thought Christmas came early :lol:
I left esp off. Last time I drove on a track with it on it boiled my brake fluid!

Kibim
Lieutenant-General

Post by Kibim »

It was 'off', about as much as you can in a merc. It still lets you know when you've broken traction tho. Doesn't to much about it, just flashes wildly.

I am seriously impressed with my Continentals tho. The grip levels were awesome. It's a different car to how it felt with the Pirellis. At Zwartkops I spun it twice, had tank-slappers on every other corner. The contis have served me at Roy Hesketh (dubrun) and now at Kyalami. They have so much grip the car is almost boring now.
.Project '74 W114 Benz
joggiep
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 20 years 4 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: Amarok V6
Membership No: 664

Post by joggiep »

Kibim wrote:I know i could push my 300hp 600Nm volvo a LOT harder than i'm happy pushing the SLK, purely because it was more predictable, and understeered on power rather than trying turn around on itself. Yes, it had some serious lift off oversteer issues, but those were far easier to control and steer into under braking than a powerslide is to control.
Tell me about it..... :bang: :bang: Gets interesting when you need to power out when things start to go wrong and there is no power :evil: :evil:
Joggie Pretorius
---------------------------------------
EX - CARS
Jetta CSX 1.8 8v
Golf CTi 1.8 8v
Polo 1.6 lux
SEAT Ibiza Sport
VW Polo 2.0 Highline
BMW E90 320D
VW Caddy 2.0 8V
Nissan X-trail 2.0 dCi
VW Jetta 2.0 16V Turbo
VW Polo 1.6 Comfortline
BMW 335
Suzuki SV1000S (125hp - 109NM)
Audi RSQ3
CURRENT CARS
VW Amarok V6 Exstream
Barney
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 12 years 7 months
Car Model: Mk3.5 Cabrio
Membership No: 1723

Post by Barney »

damm wish i could of come along :(... *sad panda*
VDUB GP
Captain
Registered for: 16 years 4 months
Car Model: Golf Mk2, Golf Mk6, Corrado
Membership No: 1096

Post by VDUB GP »

One thing this made me realise - I want to race!
I have always thought I might like to, but after Sunday I definately made up my mind.

I just wish we had taken lap times or a video, but after the third session when I woke up to the fact, we had the flat and couldn't go out again.