VR6 engine help

VeeRar6ix
Cadet
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

VR6 engine help

Post by VeeRar6ix »

Howsit guys!

Need a bit of help with my VR6... being a 81mm piston size, could I drop 82.5mm 2E pistons to increase CC probably to 2.9? Would a rebore be needed?

Where can I have my head flowed without paying ridiculous double figures for?

Have a set of branches oready on together with an exhaust system BTW...

Cool!

Thanks...
nhunter
Major
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by nhunter »

Just get 40 thou oversize VR6 pistons which should take you to 2.9. And yes you would need a rebore.
'05 VW Passat 2.0 TDI Highline
'06 Toyota Yaris T3

:( Ex '96 Golf MK3 VR6 137hp and 185nm @ KAR
* Shaved front * Koni * Eibach * SMT6D * 268's * Flowed Head * VF Engineering * Recaro * H&R
VeeRar6ix
Cadet

Post by VeeRar6ix »

I see... I might as well go to 3.0 or 3.1 if I'm going to rebore... I hear Nissan Sani pistons will take you up to that CC...

Thanks bro!
nhunter
Major
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by nhunter »

Just remember that with 3.0/3.1 they tend to use oil....
'05 VW Passat 2.0 TDI Highline
'06 Toyota Yaris T3

:( Ex '96 Golf MK3 VR6 137hp and 185nm @ KAR
* Shaved front * Koni * Eibach * SMT6D * 268's * Flowed Head * VF Engineering * Recaro * H&R
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 9 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Nissan CA20 pistons. But they have to be modified(skirt cut off) and got to have a circlip groove cut to keep the gudgeon pin in as they are pressure fit on the nissan. Then you have to buy a specially made bigger headgasket to fit the new bore - available from Redline engineering at R1700 odd. Total cost of that conversion is roughly R20000. If you do it all yourself except the engineering it's still going to cost you over R12000. Yes oversize pistons will take you to 2.9 - that is how the corrado storm was built. It came as a 2.9 from the factory. There are no other readily available piston that I know of that you can use. 2E's won't work.
Don't know whom to recommend for cheap headflow on a vr as it is a mission - but try Sarel at 8v performance. 0829705478.
oh also don't know where you are based becuase you didn't say and it's no in your signature but there are very few places that can actually bore a VR block. In JHB your choices are Power engineering and Blueprint.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
VeeRar6ix
Cadet

Post by VeeRar6ix »

Shot! panic... I've contacted Van de Linde developments who will undertake the head and cam work (Flow, bigger valves, springs and stuff, intake porting, and a set of 276 cams), will skip the bore as it sounds like tons of work with minimal returns (I stand corrected?) and to finish off a chip to make things click as they should...

Thanks for the input guys!
9n3poloTDI
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

Re: can someone please tell me why the 2E piston wouldn't work in a vr6 build

Post by 9n3poloTDI »

panic-mechanic wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:32 am Nissan CA20 pistons. But they have to be modified(skirt cut off) and got to have a circlip groove cut to keep the gudgeon pin in as they are pressure fit on the nissan. Then you have to buy a specially made bigger headgasket to fit the new bore - available from Redline engineering at R1700 odd. Total cost of that conversion is roughly R20000. If you do it all yourself except the engineering it's still going to cost you over R12000. Yes oversize pistons will take you to 2.9 - that is how the corrado storm was built. It came as a 2.9 from the factory. There are no other readily available piston that I know of that you can use. 2E's won't work.
Don't know whom to recommend for cheap headflow on a vr as it is a mission - but try Sarel at 8v performance. 0829705478.
oh also don't know where you are based becuase you didn't say and it's no in your signature but there are very few places that can actually bore a VR block. In JHB your choices are Power engineering and Blueprint.
9n3poloTDI
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

Re: polo 9n3 2.3l v5 turbo build

Post by 9n3poloTDI »

Hi guys so I reasently choped my 9n3 tdi to put a 2.3l v5 (5cyl) in it , well all good and well now ,but , struggling to get info how I can get the tachometer to work , I'm running splitronics mercury 2, 5 cop 5 sequential injectors , still have all my tdi stuff in the car, so got the speedo to work fine , just the frustration of geting the RPM signal ,I have tried to cheat the signal from the 60-2 pickup ,with the og crank pickup wire , but no luck as of yet , any thoughts on this would be appreciated!
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 14 years
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Re: polo 9n3 2.3l v5 turbo build

Post by PapaJo »

9n3poloTDI wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:55 pm Hi guys so I reasently choped my 9n3 tdi to put a 2.3l v5 (5cyl) in it , well all good and well now ,but , struggling to get info how I can get the tachometer to work , I'm running splitronics mercury 2, 5 cop 5 sequential injectors , still have all my tdi stuff in the car, so got the speedo to work fine , just the frustration of geting the RPM signal ,I have tried to cheat the signal from the 60-2 pickup ,with the og crank pickup wire , but no luck as of yet , any thoughts on this would be appreciated!
Try posting your own new thread for more visibility as this is for a v5. Ask your question in new thread and you would likely get more responses.

Start by tracing back the original rom signal wiring and then determine if it is compatible with your rpm output from Spitronics.