Timing issue on 2lt 8v

Fidgeter
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Timing issue on 2lt 8v

Post by Fidgeter »

Howsit Guy's

I have ran into a rather strange issue over the weekend with my cars timing and I am hoping someone can give me an indication what happened. I am running a 2lt 8v single throttle setup on my car with dictator management. Yesterday while driving my rev went up to about 1500rpm and I thought it was just an air leak or something small. As I kept driving the engine started pinging. I checked the distributor and it was not loose. I checked the trigger wheel on dictator and all was fine but when I checked the timing with the light and it was way too advanced.

I am still confused how would the timing move if the distributor did not move or nothing was changed on the dictator software. I have changed my alternator two days ago but I don't see how that would effect the timing. I am using a GW distributor and I am not sure if the distributor is the issue?

I would appreciate it if someone can advise me what could be the issue.
2005 Citi Golf
Current mods: 2lt 8v Single throttle
Estas cam
Branch with 57mm exhaust
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Re: Timing issue on 2lt 8v

Post by VAG Fan »

Is the timing belt correctly tensioned?
I ask because I once had those symptoms (high, irregular idle, terrible pinging) when the timing belt on my Audi had lost tension. It had jumped about 3 or 4 teeth. I was very fortunate to catch it before it bent any valves.
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
Fidgeter
Enlisted

Post by Fidgeter »

Thank you for he reply

I checked the belt and it is tensioned properly and that's what bogging me. It seems like the distributor got advanced however that to was bolted on tight and it couldn't move at all
2005 Citi Golf
Estas cam
Branch with 57mm exhaust
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 4 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

The reason the timing belt was mentioned is that the intermediate shaft driven by the cambelt, in turn drives the distributor and the oil pump.

If the timing has moved it can only happen if the position of the distributor has changed relative to the crankshaft.

Unless you keep the design of the engine in mind when diagnosing it, you can easily make a mistake and overlook something simple related to the problem. Even I'm not immune from this. My school fees are paid.

Go back and check each part carefully and I'm sure you will get to the root of the issue.

Sent from my 2107113SG using Tapatalk

'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Fidgeter
Enlisted

Post by Fidgeter »

Thank you for the feedback, I will definitely check the timing again. The car seems to be moving like it should now after I set the distributor but I in the back of my head I am scared to drive the car fast.
2005 Citi Golf
Estas cam
Branch with 57mm exhaust
Fidgeter
Enlisted

Post by Fidgeter »

Howsit Guy's

Sorry for the delayed response, I just wanted to inform you both that responded that my issue was belt that jumped a tooth. It's still surprising as my belt was tensioned fine and when I installed the new alternator I did not loosen the cambelt.

Thanks again for the help
2005 Citi Golf
Estas cam
Branch with 57mm exhaust
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Post by VAG Fan »

If the belt skipped a tooth while under proper tension, something is amiss. I would investigate * , or at the very least, replace the belt and roller / tensioner.

* e.g. check that the distributor and oil pump are turning freely.
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
Fidgeter
Enlisted

Post by Fidgeter »

Hi there

Belt and tension is new. The car seems to be fine now after resetting the timing however I will definitely look into the distributor and oil pump because it is still very strange on how it moved out of place.

Thank you
2005 Citi Golf
Estas cam
Branch with 57mm exhaust