Mr turbo Install

Racer Rob
Cadet
Registered for: 18 years

Mr turbo Install

Post by Racer Rob »

Have just finished installing Mr Turbo on citi golf . Tried starting last night and not starting. Green light flashes once and red light stays on . Fuel pump starts and then stops when i try to crank the motor. Does any one have any experince/advice with this system ? I will be phoning ivan today but any input would be appreciated.
gambit
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 21 years 8 months

Re: Mr turbo Install

Post by gambit »

Racer Rob wrote:Have just finished installing Mr Turbo on citi golf . Tried starting last night and not starting. Green light flashes once and red light stays on . Fuel pump starts and then stops when i try to crank the motor. Does any one have any experince/advice with this system ? I will be phoning ivan today but any input would be appreciated.
ok, red light is your power light, showing that the box has power the green light should flash/pulse all the time when you cranking it as that is shows how your injectors are pulsing.
Current
'04 Audi A4 1.8T (140kw)
Past
'06 Yamaha YZF-R6
'05 Golf 2.0 TDi Sportline*SOLD*
mk1 CTi 2.0 16vT (Robin)*SOLD*
'09 Chevrolet Captiva 2.4 16v*SOLD*
'05 Nissan Hardbody 3.0 16vTDi *SOLD*
'04 GTi 132kw Custom FRC remap *SOLD*
'92 GTi 2.0 16vT (Lana) *SOLD*
'94 2.0 CLi Jetta (Lois) *SOLD*
'91 GTi 1.8 16v *SOLD*
'87 Citi Sport 1600 (2E motor) *SOLD*

VWCSA # 1253
"I know that son-of-a-b!tch is cheating!..'cos i'm cheating and he beat me"
Rabbit16v
VWCSA Member
Membership No: 63

Post by Rabbit16v »

Racer Rob wrote:Have just finished installing Mr Turbo on citi golf . Tried starting last night and not starting. Green light flashes once and red light stays on . Fuel pump starts and then stops when i try to crank the motor. Does any one have any experince/advice with this system ? I will be phoning ivan today but any input would be appreciated.
No experience with MR Turbo management, but the box is not seeing the rpm pickup - so there is someting wrong with your wiring to the dizzy.
If the box pickup the dizzy signal the green light should stay flashing .....
BOOST - The ONLY replacement for displacement.
Racer Rob
Cadet

Post by Racer Rob »

Thanks guys.

I will check rpm signal wire from dizzy and the positive and neg. Will let you know the out come
Racer Rob
Cadet

Post by Racer Rob »

The plot thickens. Checked rpm signal to box. No problems with cable. Power to hall sender is fine on ignition but when it cranks the power drops off.

The only thing i can think of is the alarm. The alarm cuts the power cable to the hall sender and to the fuel pump. When ignition is on these are closed and power goes through but maybe when cranking the alarm loses a signal and the power is lost to the fuel pump and hall sender. I ran out of time to check last night but will check tonight. Failing this it is back to the drawing board. I checked everything else and seems fine. Swapped out mr turbo unit, tci unit and dizzy with same result so it has to be the wiring.
Rabbit16v
VWCSA Member

Post by Rabbit16v »

A few things to check ....

1.) where you getting the power for the box from ?
it should be directly from the battery into a relay, the relay should be switched fia the ignition directly - not the accessories as these get cut during cranking.

2.) Same with the power for the TCI.

3.) the fuelpump should also be triggered via a relay and the power should come from the same source as the box - not sure, but mr turbo should have a wire that runs to the fuelpump relay that will turn it on when there is rpm.

4.) the hall sendor should get its power from the comp box .....
Racer Rob
Cadet

Post by Racer Rob »

Update. Just as i thought the signal for ignition for the alarm dropped out during cranking and then the alarm cuts power to hall sender and fuel pump. Changed position of alarm ignition wire and now green led pulsing during cranking and fuel pump working.

Car now wants to run but did not managed to idle and tends to run on for a second or two and then dies. Will spend some time this week-end and see if i can get her to idle and rev a bit. Does any-one know if this is possible with the start up map?
Is there anything else i can adjust to help with the start up?
Does any-one have a Mr Turbo map for 1.8/2.0 and a lap-top to download map? That would really be appreciated :roll:
Rabbit16v
VWCSA Member

Post by Rabbit16v »

Racer Rob wrote:Car now wants to run but did not managed to idle and tends to run on for a second or two and then dies. Will spend some time this week-end and see if i can get her to idle and rev a bit. Does any-one know if this is possible with the start up map?
Is there anything else i can adjust to help with the start up?
Does any-one have a Mr Turbo map for 1.8/2.0 and a lap-top to download map? That would really be appreciated :roll:
Yes it is possable with the startup map, as it is only a starting point and does not garantee a running car.
You could loostern the dizzy and turn it abit - eitehr way - small inrements and see if it improves.
The timing on the motor should be adjusted to match the timing reported by the mr turbo software to get it 100%.

Sorry cant help with the mr turbo map - have never used mr turbo - come to think of it - that is the only local system that I have not had on my car :lol:
Bolle
Enlisted
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

mr turbo

Post by Bolle »

how did you connect the fuel pump wires?
Golf Life
2l 16v Turbo
T3/T4 garret
Racer Rob
Cadet

Post by Racer Rob »

Spent some time yesterday turning dizzy and car is now "running" but definately not drivable.

The fuel pump is connected as per Mr Turbo diagram that is the positive is taken off the power of the injectors and the negative to the battery.

The engine wants to run but i am sure the map is the problem. Does anyone have a 1.8/2.0 8v map for Mr Turbo that can be downloaded just to get the car to the tuner???

Failing that does anyone know where there is a good place to rent a trailer. ???
Rabbit16v
VWCSA Member

Post by Rabbit16v »

Racer Rob wrote:Spent some time yesterday turning dizzy and car is now "running" but definately not drivable.

The fuel pump is connected as per Mr Turbo diagram that is the positive is taken off the power of the injectors and the negative to the battery.

The engine wants to run but i am sure the map is the problem. Does anyone have a 1.8/2.0 8v map for Mr Turbo that can be downloaded just to get the car to the tuner???

Failing that does anyone know where there is a good place to rent a trailer. ???
Phone Ivan at MR Turbo - sure they shouldhave a map to get you going ...
Timjive-o
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 4 months

Post by Timjive-o »

The Mr Turbo red wire that powers the injectors has it got constant power when box is on. Cause I have power to the Mr turbo box red light on but no power to injectors checked the red wire with a test light when box was on but nothing. Do I get power to that wire from the fuel pump or wat. Advise please. Thanks.
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 14 years
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Post by PapaJo »

Timjive-o wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:42 pm The Mr Turbo red wire that powers the injectors has it got constant power when box is on. Cause I have power to the Mr turbo box red light on but no power to injectors checked the red wire with a test light when box was on but nothing. Do I get power to that wire from the fuel pump or wat. Advise please. Thanks.
The same red wire used for the fuel pump is wired to injectors.

Have you checked mrturbo website for the drawing?
Google gave me this:
http://www.mrturbo.co.za/images/docs/fu ... arness.pdf

One thing to remember on mrturbo ecu is that you need to lock distributor timing on 40 degrees btdc. Download the ecu manual from their website.

If you are using a 8v distributor with vacuum advance or one without vacuum advance and have the 2 springs inside with the counter weights you need to lock that in place to prevent timing advance due to vacuum or the centrifugal forces of the spinning distributor weights inside. This is if you have this installed on a 8v motor.

If installed on a 16v motor, the 16v distributor does not have any advance or retard. You still need to lock distributor on 40 degrees btdc.

You can start your timing map bottom row on 6-10 degrees and ramp it 4-6 degrees per range up to get you started and idle.
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

You need to see around 250rpm during motor cranking and then the green led will flash and power to injectors.
Timjive-o
Enlisted

Post by Timjive-o »

Sorry to steal the the topic need info on the Mr turbo relay wiring loom. Which wire goes to which pin on the relay. Pin 30-Pin86-Pin85-Pin87 which wire will go to which pin on the relay. I connected everything according to the Mr turbo wiring diagram. Last to connect will be the relay wiring loom. Using Mr turbo V1. 7 efi box was given by a friend. He said it works. But just need info on the above mentioned
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

Pin 30 - battery positive
Pin 87 - load
Pin 85 - body ground / earth
Pin 86 - signal wire+

Sent from my CPH2371 using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
Timjive-o
Enlisted

Post by Timjive-o »

Thanks bru
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

I see u still battling on other threads.

Don't u have a wiring diagram for the management? It would tell u what the wires are for.

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

PapaJo wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:34 am
Timjive-o wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:42 pm The Mr Turbo red wire that powers the injectors has it got constant power when box is on. Cause I have power to the Mr turbo box red light on but no power to injectors checked the red wire with a test light when box was on but nothing. Do I get power to that wire from the fuel pump or wat. Advise please. Thanks.
The same red wire used for the fuel pump is wired to injectors.

Have you checked mrturbo website for the drawing?
Google gave me this:

One thing to remember on mrturbo ecu is that you need to lock distributor timing on 40 degrees btdc. Download the ecu manual from their website.

If you are using a 8v distributor with vacuum advance or one without vacuum advance and have the 2 springs inside with the counter weights you need to lock that in place to prevent timing advance due to vacuum or the centrifugal forces of the spinning distributor weights inside. This is if you have this installed on a 8v motor.

If installed on a 16v motor, the 16v distributor does not have any advance or retard. You still need to lock distributor on 40 degrees btdc.

You can start your timing map bottom row on 6-10 degrees and ramp it 4-6 degrees per range up to get you started and idle.
Go to the link I have posted in an earlier post. All is indicated in that link.

This link in case you have missed it:
Timjive-o
Enlisted

Post by Timjive-o »

Ashveer03 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:36 pm I see u still battling on other threads.

Don't u have a wiring diagram for the management? It would tell u what the wires are for.

I cam right Bru thanks alot