Polo Vivo 2015 power loss EPC code P0571

Vikingfrey
Enlisted
Registered for: 2 months

Polo Vivo 2015 power loss EPC code P0571

Post by Vikingfrey »

Hey guys,

Not sure if anyone has experience with this error and knows what sensor might be playing up.

Diagnostic code P0571

Cruise/Brake switch (A) circ. Malfunction

Car is running rough on idle and lower gears seems much better on the highway at cruising speed.
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Re: Polo Vivo 2015 power loss EPC code P0571

Post by Ashveer03 »

The fault code is telling u that the brake switch is faulty.

Get it tested, it's the switch on the brake pedal. U could also just have someone check if the brake lights are illuminating at the back.

Sent from my CPH2371 using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

Sometimes faulty/incorrect brake light bulbs may also cause that code.

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
Vikingfrey
Enlisted

Post by Vikingfrey »

Ashveer03 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:48 am The fault code is telling u that the brake switch is faulty.

Get it tested, it's the switch on the brake pedal. U could also just have someone check if the brake lights are illuminating at the back.

I guess what I can't understand is why that fault code caused the EPC light to come on and is affecting my power. No other fault codes have been recorded.
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

Sometimes a faulty brake switch will cause intermittent loss of acceleration. Hence the EPC light.

Basically if the ECU sees that the brake is being pressed, it will stop the accelerator pedal from working - simply, u cannot press the brake and accelerator at the same time while in motion.

I don't see how that would cause rough running though, might as well see to the actual fault first before going further. Some cars have a 4 pin brake switch, some have a 2 pin switch.

With a 4pin switch it's possible that half of the switch works while the other half doesn't - the brake lights may work and signal to ECU may not or vice versa.
On a 2 pin switch, it's different. If the brake lights work, the ECU should be receiving a signal aswell.

Vikingfrey
Enlisted

Post by Vikingfrey »

Thanks Ash. I wouldnt believe it. But I changed the brake switch. R525 from Goldwagen and the car is running like a dream.
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

Good stuff