KrishyR
Enlisted
Registered for: 9 years 9 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 2009 VW Citi Wolf

MK 1 Alternator Upgrade

Post by KrishyR »

Hi Guys.

I've been searching through the forum for some assistance on installing a Polo alternator on a MK1. I've got a 140a alti that i want to install due to my sound pulling heavy voltage. Batt has been upgraded already so next step is alti upgrade. Does anyone have a diagram on how to install the bracket and also the pulleys that need to be changed. I'm going to use the flat belt.

Thanks in advance guys.
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 4 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Re: MK 1 Alternator Upgrade

Post by missioner »

KrishyR wrote:Hi Guys.

I've been searching through the forum for some assistance on installing a Polo alternator on a MK1. I've got a 140a alti that i want to install due to my sound pulling heavy voltage. Batt has been upgraded already so next step is alti upgrade. Does anyone have a diagram on how to install the bracket and also the pulleys that need to be changed. I'm going to use the flat belt.

Thanks in advance guys.
The only bolt on high amp alternator that fits a Citi will be the MK2 120A one.

They can be bought new from Diesel Electric branches. Alternatively you can try looking for a used one and have it rebuilt.

The next option would be to get the whole set from a Polo Playa 1.4 non A/C with the short belt. That's a crank pulley, belt, mounting bracket and alternator. These had 80A and 120A versions, the latter being scarce.

Sent from my 2107113SG using Tapatalk

'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Chinoza
Enlisted
Registered for: 2 months

Re: MK 1 Alternator Upgrade

Post by Chinoza »

@KrishyR, did you manage to come right with the install on your MK1?