Jetta Mk5 1.9 TDI DSG white smoke

Deezo777
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 6 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo TDi

Jetta Mk5 1.9 TDI DSG white smoke

Post by Deezo777 »

This is the issue my brother is having. The car is smoking on idle (white smoke) and sometimes when driving. Injector seals where done after which it did stop the smoking for a few days and the problem started again.

The turbo core was also reconned as the vanes where sticking and the car went into limp mode. The vehicle has been scanned with vcds and all injectors are within spec and also tested with vas.

They are looking at getting another set of injectors but what happens if it does not solve the problem.

The mileage is doing around 190 000km. Please help if anyone has experienced this problem or may know what and where to look out for.

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 1 month
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Re: Jetta Mk5 1.9 TDI DSG white smoke

Post by Ashveer03 »

White smoke is a sign of unburnt fuel.. what happened to the turbo that it had to be reconditioned?

Any performance problems?

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

Edit: my bad, seen that the turbo had sticky vanes.. didnt really need a recon to fix that though.
When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
Deezo777
Enlisted

Post by Deezo777 »

Ashveer03 wrote:White smoke is a sign of unburnt fuel.. what happened to the turbo that it had to be reconditioned?

Any performance problems?

Edit: my bad, seen that the turbo had sticky vanes.. didnt really need a recon to fix that though.
The vanes where sticking and it caused the car to go into limp mode and showed a overboost code on vcds.

Had the turbo core done with parts from Mr turbo. The turbo is fine. Mileage is not good. Power seems adequate.

The white smoke is a lot on idle continuously.

Tdi jetta 4 ever
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 13 years 5 months
Car Model: Jetta 4 1.9 Tdi, Isuzu2.5DKBLe
Membership No: missing

Post by Tdi jetta 4 ever »

When last was the diesel filter changed ? Could also be dirty diesel. How is the timing ?
Sorry but so many things could be wrong.
Robin
Current rides: 02' Jetta 4 1.9 Tdi, 99' Isuzu KB 250 Dle(Faithfull aka slowmo) Mercedes Benz ML 270Cdi
Ex rides: 82' jetta 1.5 Gls(sold), 88' jetta Clx(sold with tears in my eyes)

Rather buy a good quality part that will last then buying a cheap part that won't last.

VCDS user with HEX-USB+CAN cable(Rosstech)

robinwisse@gmail.com
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 1 month
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

Goodluck with that core bro..

190k kms on a diesel is not bad, these engines barely ware out so soon. Getting a compression test done wouldnt hurt though. Low compression can cause white smoke, so can water in the fuel system..

Also verify that its fuel being burnt and not oil, colours of smoke can be deceiving at times - u can definitely smell the whats being burnt.

Is the car consuming any coolant? Is it decatted?

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

If the injectors test fine then start by killing the egr and dpf junk and coding those out.
You must have thinjectors physically tested for spray pattern though. Just looking at the blocks does not guarantee that there is not an injector that had a bad spray.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Deezo777
Enlisted

Post by Deezo777 »

Ashveer03 wrote:Goodluck with that core bro..

190k kms on a diesel is not bad, these engines barely ware out so soon. Getting a compression test done wouldnt hurt though. Low compression can cause white smoke, so can water in the fuel system..

Also verify that its fuel being burnt and not oil, colours of smoke can be deceiving at times - u can definitely smell the whats being burnt.

I checked the car this morning the coolant is fine and it isn't taking any coolant. Haha you putting doubt with where the core was bought from. I will let my brother know about the compression test

Deezo777
Enlisted

Post by Deezo777 »

Deezo777 wrote:
Ashveer03 wrote:Goodluck with that core bro..

I checked the car this morning the coolant is fine and it isn't taking any coolant. Haha you putting doubt with where the core was bought from. I will let my brother know about the compression test

And the car is decatted

Deezo777
Enlisted

Post by Deezo777 »

panic-mechanic wrote:If the injectors test fine then start by killing the egr and dpf junk and coding those out.
You must have thinjectors physically tested for spray pattern though. Just looking at the blocks does not guarantee that there is not an injector that had a bad spray.
Yes I think that's what is going to have to be done as he was advised one injector could possibly be leaking. I was wondering whether liqui moly diesel purge would be worth trying or not. Will have to look at the egr

panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Just getbthem tested before trying all kinds of stuff. Wastingbtime and money at guessing
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.