Timing on Golf mk1 still does not line up, please help

RJ8V
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 8 months
Car Make: Mazda
Car Model: BT 50 3.2 SLE 4x2

Re: Timing on Golf mk1 still does not line up, please help

Post by RJ8V »

Does someone perhaps know a decent repair shop in the Mpumalanga area?

Was also thinking of considering Volkswagen self, I know agents are a bit pricey, but surely they cannot ask me an arm or leg just by sorting out the timing issue? although it depends whats wrong, but will it be advisable to take to the agents?
EX: '02 AUDI A3 1.8 20V
EX: '81 Golf Rabbit Mk1, 2e 8V MP9. Not self-Build.
EX: '05 Ford Fiesta ST 2.0 Normal Aspirated
EX: '06 Volvo S60 D5
EX: '79 Golf MK1 2Door, 1.6i MP9. Not self-Build
EX: '05 Golf Chico 1.4 Carb - Self- Project

missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Yea the dealer will cost a little more, but they will get the best results (I hope) because they work on cars like yours on a near daily basis. This means that the person most experienced and qualified to fix your car will be at a VW workshop.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
RJ8V
Cadet

Post by RJ8V »

Then it's settled, thanx missioner

Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

Eish bro

Please give us feedback once you have been sorted.
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
RJ8V
Cadet

Post by RJ8V »

Will inform you guys as soon as she is sorted.

Hopefully my last "kop krapper"

:crazy:

RJ8V
Cadet

Post by RJ8V »

Howsit guys,

So it turned out differently then I wanted things to go. Volskwagen couldn't help me as they were fully booked till 12 December. So I decided to take the car to e-CAR. Dropped her off Friday morning, even gave the ouke a list of I want them to do (ignition timing to be set and carb to be serviced) as well as what I did and tried myself. Then they phoned me the afternoon to pick up, I got an shocking invoice of R1840.10 and the only thing they did was set ignition timing to 8degrees btdc, as he said they couldn't get it to 3 or 6 degrees. And just cleaned the carb's main and idling jet. Talk about a kak bedrag. The labour apparently took 3 hours at R490 per hour and consumables was R145. I must say tho, car does feel a bit better, the ouke couldn't tell me what was the problem with idling that struggled as he wasn't sure himself. But I guess beggers can't be choosers. I paid eventhough I was not happy.

RJ8V
Cadet

Re: Timing on Golf mk1 still does not line up. SORTED

Post by RJ8V »

Hi guys,

I just want to inform that I FINALLY sorted out this problem. After months of kop krap and numerous oukes that had a look, no one was able to correct the problem. This morning I woke up and within 5min I figured it out. I wanted to remove the mech fuel pump for a while. Good clean perhaps and when I started to loose the bolts I noticed it was not tight at all but loose. Therefore I took it off, cleaned it anyway and reinstall but proper tighten it. Car is running perfect no iradical or jumping idle. Makes sense to me that when it was loose, a proper pumping could not take place as the arm moved itself therefore the psi was high and low causing the idling to be k@k. Anyway just wanted to inform you guys. If I only knew that ir was such a small problem that cost me replacing parts and spending moolas for boggerol. :troll:

Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Re: Timing on Golf mk1 still does not line up. SORTED

Post by Unobeat »

Rynard wrote:Hi guys,

I just want to inform that I FINALLY sorted out this problem. After months of kop krap and numerous oukes that had a look, no one was able to correct the problem. This morning I woke up and within 5min I figured it out. I wanted to remove the mech fuel pump for a while. Good clean perhaps and when I started to loose the bolts I noticed it was not tight at all but loose. Therefore I took it off, cleaned it anyway and reinstall but proper tighten it. Car is running perfect no iradical or jumping idle. Makes sense to me that when it was loose, a proper pumping could not take place as the arm moved itself therefore the psi was high and low causing the idling to be k@k. Anyway just wanted to inform you guys. If I only knew that ir was such a small problem that cost me replacing parts and spending moolas for boggerol. :troll:
Glad you got sorted bro :hurray:
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
Ralf_CT
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 4 months
Car Model: Fox 1.6 AT

Post by Ralf_CT »

RJ8V wrote:Howsit guys,

So it turned out differently then I wanted things to go. Volskwagen couldn't help me as they were fully booked till 12 December. So I decided to take the car to e-CAR. Dropped her off Friday morning, even gave the ouke a list of I want them to do (ignition timing to be set and carb to be serviced) as well as what I did and tried myself. Then they phoned me the afternoon to pick up, I got an shocking invoice of R1840.10 and the only thing they did was set ignition timing to 8degrees btdc, as he said they couldn't get it to 3 or 6 degrees. And just cleaned the carb's main and idling jet. Talk about a kak bedrag. The labour apparently took 3 hours at R490 per hour and consumables was R145. I must say tho, car does feel a bit better, the ouke couldn't tell me what was the problem with idling that struggled as he wasn't sure himself. But I guess beggers can't be choosers. I paid eventhough I was not happy.
Old post but worthy of a comment nonetheless. Some of these workshops don't have a conscience ... I personally feel guilty charging someone good money when I know the problem hasn't been solved. Also, if a job is listed at 3 hours in the Flat Rate Manual and it takes me 5 hours 'because I'm learning on the job' then I can't charge the customer the additional 2 hours, it's just not right!
1994 VW Fox 1.6 (HM) AT 138,225km
markfish888
Cadet
Car Model: B7A4 -JETTA Mk2
Membership No: 1787

Post by markfish888 »

Just to confirm: My Old man tought me to set timing with the vacuum advance line pulled OFF the distributor.

And the vacuum line then has to be blocked off with a dowel , bolt or screwdriver?
Setting timing with the advance connected will mess you around.
MK2's dont die, they just get faster!!

RJ8V
Cadet

Post by RJ8V »

Remember the late citi models from 2004 or 2005 up didnt have a dizzy with vac advance. That is old school. These citis are using the newer type dizzy found in FI models