VW polo heater not working

jimmy masaua
Enlisted
Registered for: 8 years 10 months

VW polo heater not working

Post by jimmy masaua »

Hello

I have a 2004 vw polo 1.6. Recently my heater has not been working properly or and you feel abit of warm air coming from the vents. I wanted to ask for advice if anyone knows what is wrong? Also how much does a new heater costs if its neccessary to change it?

Regards

Jimmy
VW 'John Deere' TDI
Captain
Registered for: 11 years 3 months
Car Make: BMW
Car Model: E90 LCI 320d M-Sport

Re: VW polo heater not working

Post by VW 'John Deere' TDI »

jimmy masaua wrote:Hello

I have a 2004 vw polo 1.6. Recently my heater has not been working properly or and you feel abit of warm air coming from the vents. I wanted to ask for advice if anyone knows what is wrong? Also how much does a new heater costs if its neccessary to change it?

Regards

Jimmy
Can you please give some background into the heater problem. We can't really help diagnose the problem with so little information?

For example:
- When you turn the fan on does it blow out air?
- Do all air speed settings work fine? So 1 is slow, 2 faster, 3 faster, 4 fastest?
- If the fan blows out air, does the temperature change when you move the temperature knob from cold to hot or visa versa?
- When you select the air recirculation button does it stop air from coming in from outside the cabin?

Etc, etc.

Try give as much info as possible.
Current: BMW 320d E90 LCi M-Sport - Yin & Yang
Ex: VW Polo 9n3 1.9TDI Sportline - John Deere

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, then please dear God protect my ride."
Stompie
Boostleak Guru
Registered for: 12 years 9 months
Car Model: 2006 120D
Membership No: 1843

Post by Stompie »

Did you have a coolant change on the car recently?

Since my water pump was replaced, my heater also only blows out low warm air and not hot.

Apparently when replacing coolant, there is a air bubble that forms in the heater core and then the air needs to be bled out so that the water can actually circulate through the core and create heat.

I need to still figure out how to do this.
BMW 120D E87
Ex: 07' Polo GTI 1.8T Rides Thread Here
jimmy masaua
Enlisted

Post by jimmy masaua »

Hello

the following is a response to your questions

1.when i turn the fan on its does blow air but not warm air according to my setting
2. all air speeds work fine
3.the fan blows out cold air when in A/C mode or lower temp but as i increase temperature it doesnt blow warm air
4. the air reticulation button works fine and allows air come in from outside.

Regards

Jimmy[/quote]

Can you please give some background into the heater problem. We can't really help diagnose the problem with so little information?

For example:
- When you turn the fan on does it blow out air?
- Do all air speed settings work fine? So 1 is slow, 2 faster, 3 faster, 4 fastest?
- If the fan blows out air, does the temperature change when you move the temperature knob from cold to hot or visa versa?
- When you select the air recirculation button does it stop air from coming in from outside the cabin?

Etc, etc.

Try give as much info as possible.[/quote]
jimmy masaua
Enlisted

Post by jimmy masaua »

Stompie wrote:Did you have a coolant change on the car recently?

Since my water pump was replaced, my heater also only blows out low warm air and not hot.

Apparently when replacing coolant, there is a air bubble that forms in the heater core and then the air needs to be bled out so that the water can actually circulate through the core and create heat.

I need to still figure out how to do this.
Hello Stompie

My coolant was changed recently but had the problem even before the change of coolant. Thanks for the advice will check it out
Stompie
Boostleak Guru
Registered for: 12 years 9 months
Car Model: 2006 120D
Membership No: 1843

Post by Stompie »

Then this might be your issue as well.
BMW 120D E87
Ex: 07' Polo GTI 1.8T Rides Thread Here
VW 'John Deere' TDI
Captain
Registered for: 11 years 3 months
Car Model: E90 LCI 320d M-Sport

Post by VW 'John Deere' TDI »

1.when i turn the fan on its does blow air but not warm air according to my setting
3.the fan blows out cold air when in A/C mode or lower temp but as i increase temperature it doesnt blow warm air
So from that we can rule out any problems with the fan, AC, and it's speed settings. It seems like the problem then is the heating unit.

This could either be the actual knob (that controls the desired temperature from inside the cabin) that is the problem, or the heating unit itself. I think the more likely is probably the heating unit (or "core" as Stompie put it).

It may be that you have a similar problem to Stompie, but maybe not.

Do you have any errors on the dash?

Have you checked your fuses to make sure none have blown?
Current: BMW 320d E90 LCi M-Sport - Yin & Yang
Ex: VW Polo 9n3 1.9TDI Sportline - John Deere

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, then please dear God protect my ride."
jimmy masaua
Enlisted

Post by jimmy masaua »

VW 'John Deere' TDI wrote:

So from that we can rule out any problems with the fan, AC, and it's speed settings. It seems like the problem then is the heating unit.

This could either be the actual knob (that controls the desired temperature from inside the cabin) that is the problem, or the heating unit itself. I think the more likely is probably the heating unit (or "core" as Stompie put it).

It may be that you have a similar problem to Stompie, but maybe not.

Do you have any errors on the dash?

Have you checked your fuses to make sure none have blown?
Only error on the dashboard is EPC sign that disappers once car is switched on and running. Do u have an idea on how much a heating unit costs?
Maphisa123
Enlisted
Registered for: 3 years 10 months

Post by Maphisa123 »

Hi i have a problem with my 2013 polo 6 1.6 when i open warm air it blow only cold air i dont knw y
VGTI
Major
Registered for: 18 years 7 months
Car Make: Cheap Ass Porsche
Car Model: 9N Sooter
Membership No: 807

Post by VGTI »

Scan the car for errors, there is a Temperature flap control motor -V68- that should regulate the warm/cold air that could be bust or the heater control unit in the dash or obviously the cable between the two.

Check those... the heating unit works straight off the coolent system with a heat exchanger that will be hot all the time. So to get warm air that V68 motor opens a flap to divert airflow over the exchanger.
'04 Polo TDI 1661.9 km on 58.05l
'13 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 Elite
Polobujwa
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 3 months

Post by Polobujwa »

Hi, guys, my heater is not working when you turn it on it firstly blows stim like smoke and leave my windows with mist it doesn't get hot at all, what could be wrong? is it the radiator heater or faulty wiring :bang: .

Regards
Ntokozo
Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 4 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Post by Jetta2 »

Ntokozo, the heater radiator in the dash is busted and will need replacing
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
Brettoz
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 3 months

Post by Brettoz »

Hey guys, my heater was working fine until I noticed a damaged side water Flange. I had the Flange replaced as well as the heater pipe which connects to the water pump behind the cylinder head. It's a 2007 polo BAH 1.6i

Seeing that it still wasn't blowing out hot air at all. I then changed the heater resistor inside the blower box.

Im still confused as it's still not blowing hot air.

Please help!!!
VGTI
Major
Registered for: 18 years 7 months
Car Make: Cheap Ass Porsche
Car Model: 9N Sooter
Membership No: 807

Post by VGTI »

All the resistor in the blower box does... is to control the speed at which the fan blow. Step 1, 2, 3 and 4. If the resistor goes you usually lose one or all of steps 1 to 3 and only 4 will work.

If your heater does not provide hot air look at my previous reply to this thread.
'04 Polo TDI 1661.9 km on 58.05l
'13 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 Elite
lesibaM
Enlisted
Registered for: 2 years

Post by lesibaM »

Hi guys, am driving a polo vivo 2010 CLP engine, and I have a problem. since a changed the cooling system (water pump, Thermostat housing, and water Bottle) my car has stopped blowing out hot air, does anyone know what could be the problem and how can I fix it.