Lieutenant
Registered for: 14 years 11 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Citi Chico baby dragster
Membership No: missing

Gearbox pushrod problems

Post by Wit Ark »

Hi all

After fitting my old 1.3 gearbox to my ADY motor, i also fitted a 210mm flywheel and 210mm sachs power clutch kit. Works good and everything fitted together niceley, however when i connected the clutch cable to the arm on the gearbox that pushess on the push rod, the arm has a lot of play in it and it moves up really far before resistance is felt, even after the clutch cable is fully adjusted. I had the gearbox overhauled while it was out, but my mechanic re-used my old pushrod. Now somone else suggested that the pushrod might be too short and i need a longer one? Did anyone else experience this before or could it be something else?

Thanx in advance
2.0i ADY. 90.2kW & 198.1Nm atw excl. 50Horses VAT 13.9980sec @ OKH nationals 7/4/2012
MacMan
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Car Make: SEAT
Car Model: Tarraco XC 1.5 TSi
Membership No: 478

Re: Gearbox pushrod problems

Post by MacMan »

Wit Ark wrote:Hi all

After fitting my old 1.3 gearbox to my ADY motor, i also fitted a 210mm flywheel and 210mm sachs power clutch kit. Works good and everything fitted together niceley, however when i connected the clutch cable to the arm on the gearbox that pushess on the push rod, the arm has a lot of play in it and it moves up really far before resistance is felt, even after the clutch cable is fully adjusted. I had the gearbox overhauled while it was out, but my mechanic re-used my old pushrod. Now somone else suggested that the pushrod might be too short and i need a longer one? Did anyone else experience this before or could it be something else?

Thanx in advance
Have you tried actually driving the car?
'20 SEAT Tarraco XC 1.5 TSi
'12 VW Up! 1.0 MPi

Ex:
'06 Golf MKV GTi
'04 Golf MKIV GTi.:R
'99 Citi Golf 2.0i

Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears.
Wit Ark
Lieutenant

Post by Wit Ark »

Not yet, i am still waiting for my new head, it should be done on thursday, caunt wait though! Anyhow it is selecting gears etc, but the unusuall large play on the gearbox leaver arm thingi bothers me a bit so i was wondering if this is normal or did i do something wrong. A friend said my pushrod is too short and i need to get a longer one or have mine welded?

any suggestions?

thanx
2.0i ADY. 90.2kW & 198.1Nm atw excl. 50Horses VAT 13.9980sec @ OKH nationals 7/4/2012
SHAUN
Post Whore
Registered for: 19 years 8 months
Car Make: BMW
Car Model: 2006 335i
Membership No: 1148

Post by SHAUN »

Wit Ark wrote:A friend said my pushrod is too short and i need to get a longer one or have mine welded?
Have it welded? lol

Your friend does not know much then, a new pushrod is R110 from GW for a OE part, and R30 for a WAG part, i replaced mine last month.
2006 E92 335i * Monica
2001 Audi S3 Quattro * Suzie-Q
1999 Jetta 3 20vt 181kw 390nm * Jet-Li
2006 Caddy 1.6 low and slow * Tossa-Caddy
2001 Polo classic 16v ABF Featured * BLUEmotion
1988 Bmw E30 2.9L - Written off
1991 MKII GTI - Sold
1989 MKII CSL - Sold
Saiendra wrote: I cannot argue with you, you bought a BMW out of motorplan...
You clearly have more balls than me.
Wit Ark
Lieutenant

Post by Wit Ark »

Yes i know iknow :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway this doesnt answer my question still, i will get a new pushrod, but i first need to know if i require a longer one and will it solve my problem or could this be caused by something else? If you can confirm that my pushrod is too short, then i know what to do, but up to now i dont know if the problem even lies with the pushrod at all.
Abnormal
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 19 years 11 months
Membership No: 848

Post by Abnormal »

IIRC if you can pull the arm up and it goes past the horizontal position... then thats a bad thing.
\Oo) \ _w_ / (oO/
Wit Ark
Lieutenant

Post by Wit Ark »

Yes thats what happens! Does this confirm i need to get a longer pushrod then????
Abnormal
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Abnormal »

Wit Ark wrote:Yes i know iknow :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway this doesnt answer my question still, i will get a new pushrod, but i first need to know if i require a longer one and will it solve my problem or could this be caused by something else? If you can confirm that my pushrod is too short, then i know what to do, but up to now i dont know if the problem even lies with the pushrod at all.
it only comes in one size!
\Oo) \ _w_ / (oO/
Wit Ark
Lieutenant

Post by Wit Ark »

That was my next question, which one to get then? D@mn, this doesnt help, then the problem lies somewhere else, any idea?
SHAUN
Post Whore
Registered for: 19 years 8 months
Car Make: BMW
Car Model: 2006 335i
Membership No: 1148

Post by SHAUN »

342MM for 5 speed, 4 speed is shorter.

Here is all you need to know about the clutch release arm.

http://www.brokevw.com/releasearm.html
2006 E92 335i * Monica
2001 Audi S3 Quattro * Suzie-Q
1999 Jetta 3 20vt 181kw 390nm * Jet-Li
2006 Caddy 1.6 low and slow * Tossa-Caddy
2001 Polo classic 16v ABF Featured * BLUEmotion
1988 Bmw E30 2.9L - Written off
1991 MKII GTI - Sold
1989 MKII CSL - Sold
Saiendra wrote: I cannot argue with you, you bought a BMW out of motorplan...
You clearly have more balls than me.
Abnormal
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Abnormal »

oops didn't know the 4 speed was shorter
\Oo) \ _w_ / (oO/
Wit Ark
Lieutenant

Post by Wit Ark »

Thanx shaun, that site was very helpfull and explained a lot. Then mine should be fine as it is still new, i noted that the older it gets, the less play it develops. Will do some tests tonight and let you know what happens.

Cheers
pumagt
Wheel Whore
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by pumagt »

Some time back I replaced the complete clutch on a golf and experienced the same problem, everything was still the original parts except for the new clutch kit. Still to this day not sure what changed and thought it was a manufacturing problem with the metal disc part on the prassure plate that the push rod presses on. I just removed the flat washer part of the old release bearing and placed it on the new one bearing to act as a spacer and the arm was back in position as normal. Normal clutch operation and still is running 2 years later.
tvanrooyen942
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years

Post by tvanrooyen942 »

Hi. My name is Timothy. I'm new to this site and I'm really in need of help from you guys. I have a 97 polo classic. I changed my clutch and pressure plate. I had my flywheel skimmed cause this is what the mechanic suggested I do. Then my box was supposedly repaired cause it was stuck in a gear. Anyway, the mechanic fitted the box and now I can't seem to get any clutch to engage the gears. When I swith off the car I can get gears. I bought a new pushrod. The lever arm is also at its proper position of 9 o clock. And R2500 later I'm still sitting with a problem. The gears seem to grind when I try to put the gearbox in gear. Could you guys please advise me. Thanks.
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 1 month
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

Are u sure that u have bought a rod for a 5speed and not 4speed? Lengths differ on them, and a shorter rod wont disengage the clutch

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
UDC
Colonel
Registered for: 17 years 2 months
Membership No: 1041

Post by UDC »

Could be the self adjusting cable, try with a golf2 normal non self adjusting cable.
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT

Post by PapaJo »

Did the mechanic replace the throw out bearing it the back of the box? The 4 speed one is shorter than the 5 speed one. When the arm where the clutch cable fits is fully down on to the stopper notch on the 5 speed casing the 5 speed clutch rod is sticking out by +- 5mm from the front of the main shaft and when clutch lever is fully pulled up, it pushes the rod out to 20-25mm. This you can unfortunately only check when the box is out.

If you have a manual adjustable cable adjust it up until you have no play when you pull the cable housing upwards. once there is no play turn adjuster back a full to full and a half turn until you have approximately 5mm play when you pull the cable housing up. Your clutch and gear selection should be good then.