Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

DSG Oil in 02m gearbox

Post by Ashveer03 »

Hwzit guys

Has anybody else used dsg oil in an 02m 6spd manual box?

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Re: DSG Oil in 02m gearbox

Post by missioner »

Ashveer03 wrote:Hwzit guys

Has anybody else used dsg oil in an 02m 6spd manual box?

Why?

Mineral trans oil R100/l HP80W90
Fully synthetic MTF R200/l 75W90
DSG oil R980/l

Besides a manual tranny doesn't need the special properties of DSG oil. Only a DSG needs the specific oil designed for it. A manual can run on anything that's the right viscosity and has suitable friction properties.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

Besides the cost/pricing, I just want to see what others think of the quality of dsg oil vs the G052171 oil, whether it would be any better (wear and performance wise) to use in an 02m or not.. I have seen that a few people have had success using it - smoother shifts etc..

Somebody on this forum has also had the idea of dsg oil for this gearbox but there hasnt been any questions or experiences with it ever since, that thread just died..

I have also seen that everybody says that G052171 is a 75w90 but there is a site that lists all vw oils and it states that a G052171 is a 70w75
https://www.oilspecifications.org/volkswagen.php

And, a dsg oil is a SAE75w. A monograde, which i guess shouldnt have many additives that could possibly break down easily..? Unless, maybe it overheats?

From whatever research i have done, i believe that a multigrade gear oil has more additives in it, one of the reasons being so that it "works" through a wider temp range. Im sure manual gear oil doesnt reach high temps to kill itself anyway..

Any input welcome so the next person with the same idea has something to read through.. i couldnt find any info on this myself.

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
Deezo777
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 6 months
Car Model: Polo TDi

Post by Deezo777 »

Please also assist me for a 2008 polo 1.9 tdi 6 speed gearbox. I'm currently doing.168000km. Had a full service history with vw up to 120000km there after it's serviced privately. What is the correct oil to use in the gearbox and when should the oil.change be done as I have noticed the gears are not as smooth as they where before.

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk

billionairebum
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 2 months
Car Model: Sportline
Membership No: 3194

Post by billionairebum »

I think @BIGMIG will know more about this.
Wolf Mk2 16V
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 8 months

Post by Wolf Mk2 16V »

Ashveer03 wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:35 am Besides the cost/pricing, I just want to see what others think of the quality of dsg oil vs the G052171 oil, whether it would be any better (wear and performance wise) to use in an 02m or not.. I have seen that a few people have had success using it - smoother shifts etc..

Somebody on this forum has also had the idea of dsg oil for this gearbox but there hasnt been any questions or experiences with it ever since, that thread just died..

I have also seen that everybody says that G052171 is a 75w90 but there is a site that lists all vw oils and it states that a G052171 is a 70w75
https://www.oilspecifications.org/volkswagen.php

And, a dsg oil is a SAE75w. A monograde, which i guess shouldnt have many additives that could possibly break down easily..? Unless, maybe it overheats?

From whatever research i have done, i believe that a multigrade gear oil has more additives in it, one of the reasons being so that it "works" through a wider temp range. Im sure manual gear oil doesnt reach high temps to kill itself anyway..

Any input welcome so the next person with the same idea has something to read through.. i couldnt find any info on this myself.

I feel dumber having reading this :lol:
2015 VW Golf Gti
1990 Golf GTi 16 Valve Executive
1987 Golf GTS
1993 Citi Golf Designa 1800
2015 VW Move Up!
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

Deezo777 wrote:Please also assist me for a 2008 polo 1.9 tdi 6 speed gearbox. I'm currently doing.168000km. Had a full service history with vw up to 120000km there after it's serviced privately. What is the correct oil to use in the gearbox and when should the oil.change be done as I have noticed the gears are not as smooth as they where before.

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk
Correct oil as per vw is G052171A2. They say its a lifetime oil, but i dont believe oil can be "lifetime" i read somewhere that lifetime means 100k kms.. i would just change it with the cambelt..

Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

billionairebum wrote:I think @BIGMIG will know more about this.
Goose runs on dsg fluids.

billionairebum
Cadet

Post by billionairebum »

Correct.
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

With the power that goose makes and im sure bigmig drives it hard, if dsg oil was that "bad" the box should have died..

Wheres all the technical oaks wen u need them lol

Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

No opinions..?

billionairebum
Cadet

Post by billionairebum »

Use it and update us on pricing and if it made a difference.
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

Yeah well seems like thats what im gonna do