Mk1 golf 60mm drop, will it rub

Davin_L
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 8 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 1988 Mk1 1.8L 8V

Mk1 golf 60mm drop, will it rub

Post by Davin_L »

I have a mk1 golf with BBS 15” 195/50/15 tyres. If I install 60mm drop spring, will it rub against tyre??
Golf Mk1 1988 1.8L 8V
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Re: Mk1 golf 60mm drop, will it rub

Post by missioner »

Davin_L wrote:I have a mk1 golf with BBS 15” 195/50/15 tyres. If I install 60mm drop spring, will it rub against tyre??
Yes and it will need clearance for the right side driveshaft.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 4 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Post by Neuk »

missioner wrote:
Davin_L wrote:I have a mk1 golf with BBS 15” 195/50/15 tyres. If I install 60mm drop spring, will it rub against tyre??
Based on what? You don't know the ET or width of the wheels, so it is a guess at best.
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Neuk wrote:
missioner wrote:
Based on what? You don't know the ET or width of the wheels, so it is a guess at best.
Firstly it's likely that the wheels are BBS reps, those have usually a 30mm/35mm offset and in 15' are 7.5J to 8J. Based on my experience working in a tyre fitment shop, these wheels rub with a 40mm drop.

To improve the comfort of the ride ones remove the bumpstop rubbers, then when the shock bottoms out the RHS driveshaft touches the chassis leg, sometimes even bending them.

By my estimation a 60mm drop would damage rear tyre side walls and fronts would run the fenders under compression.

I would suggest installing the springs with stock wheels fitted and then do a test fit with the "BBS" wheels.

To support my theory about the origin of the wheels is supported by the argument that if 9ne was to purchase genuine BBS wheels one would know all the details such as offset and hoop width.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 4 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Post by Neuk »

missioner wrote:
Neuk wrote:
missioner wrote:
Firstly it's likely that the wheels are BBS reps, those have usually a 30mm/35mm offset and in 15' are 7.5J to 8J. Based on my experience working in a tyre fitment shop, these wheels rub with a 40mm drop.

To improve the comfort of the ride ones remove the bumpstop rubbers, then when the shock bottoms out the RHS driveshaft touches the chassis leg, sometimes even bending them.

By my estimation a 60mm drop would damage rear tyre side walls and fronts would run the fenders under compression.

I would suggest installing the springs with stock wheels fitted and then do a test fit with the "BBS" wheels.

To support my theory about the origin of the wheels is supported by the argument that if 9ne was to purchase genuine BBS wheels one would know all the details such as offset and hoop width.
Cool, experience, thanks for clearing that up.
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
Abnormal
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 19 years 11 months
Membership No: 848

Post by Abnormal »

:lol: :driving:
\Oo) \ _w_ / (oO/
markfish888
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Model: B7A4 -JETTA Mk2
Membership No: 1787

Post by markfish888 »

Why o why do ppl lower their cars beyond safe manufactures specs, just to LOOK cool??

The argument that it is better roadholding , due to lower center of gravity , is half truth.
You mess up your roll center, and suspension geometry , COMPLETELY screwing up your car's handling.

Race cars have completely re-engineered setup that can handel it, with reworked suspension geometry , with full damper rod travel.
not std stuff that is suppose to work with less than 1/3 stroke length travel inside shock body.
A degree in suspension is offered at university, you can't just whack-it with the lowering stick and expect everything to work propperly.

That is why air is so poppular, it is much safer, and drivable , and you get the LOOK to stroke your ego when you air it out.

30-40mm is fine, but cutting/rubbing tyres, camber chewing a tyre inner tread to steel cords in less than 5000km, bending drive shafts, cutting chassis legs, crawling 2km/h over anything higer than the roadmarking paint lines ,
doing 27 point turns, popping cv's every 5 km, bending arches.

Sacrificing drivabillity, propper handling, your and other road users safety, JUST FOR LOOKS.
Its like wearing a condom every day and night ,for whole month , just to get lucky on payday.

I would like to get where i'm going on time, not covered in cv grease and alive thank you very much.
(Grumpy old man rant over, Sorry)
MK2's dont die, they just get faster!!