Motor running very hot quick!!!

vansboyK
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years

Motor running very hot quick!!!

Post by vansboyK »

Good Day Everyone
Need advice on my Citi Golf 1.3 Chico 99"

I've recently done my motor over about 4 months ago. I've changed the water pump as well as oil pump when I did the overhaul. The problem I've got at the moment is that motor seems to be running very hot & quickly too. The water temperature gauge stays over the halfway mark & doesn't drop. I'm using Autozone 20w 50 Multi grade oil and for some reason when the weather is a bit colder than the low pressure warning light blinks...when it's warm the light doesn't come on. Just last week I bought a new radiator,thermostat & Antifreeze from Goldwagen.I flushed out the system before installing...still no luck, the temperature stays up past halfway mark. The good thing is the fan kicks in whenever the temperature gets too hot but my question is why is it getting so hot??? Help Please

Sent from my SM-J120F using Tapatalk
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Re: Motor running very hot quick!!!

Post by panic-mechanic »

Are you basing the too hot on the reading on the gauge. If both the top and bottom radiator hoses are hot and the fan kick on and goes off then I think it is just a sender that reads differently. Take a picture of the gauge when you say it is too hot. Does the fan go off after a while or stays on?
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
vansboyK
Enlisted

Post by vansboyK »

panic-mechanic wrote:Are you basing the too hot on the reading on the gauge. If both the top and bottom radiator hoses are hot and the fan kick on and goes off then I think it is just a sender that reads differently. Take a picture of the gauge when you say it is too hot. Does the fan go off after a while or stays on?
@panic-mechanic yes the temperature gauge sits over the halfway mark even whilst driving around 100km/h on the highway. Once I get to a stop with traffic it spikes back up but the fan kicks in & switches off again. The bottom hose from water pump is colder than the top hose. I've attached a picture of the temperature gauge Image

NHB_R
Captain
Registered for: 11 years 10 months
Membership No: missing

Post by NHB_R »

Have you checked your thermostat
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Sounds like maybe the thermostat is not quite doing the job of opening quite right. Rather change it.
We are talking about the item in that cover under the waterpump.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

vansboyK
Enlisted

Post by vansboyK »

panic-mechanic wrote:Sounds like maybe the thermostat is not quite doing the job of opening quite right. Rather change it.
We are talking about the item in that cover under the waterpump.
The thermostat is new...I ran it for a month without the thermostat in to see if it would change the temperature drop but it didn't help. But what I did notice is that the thermostat is the higher degree rating think 80+ or so. I was told there is a lower rating thermostat at 73 degree...is this true?

panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

You cannot remove the thermostat on these engines without mods to the cooling plumbing. Taking it out is a sure fire guarantee of it overheating. You do not need a lower rating- you just need one that works.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

vansboyK
Enlisted

Post by vansboyK »

panic-mechanic wrote:You cannot remove the thermostat on these engines without mods to the cooling plumbing. Taking it out is a sure fire guarantee of it overheating. You do not need a lower rating- you just need one that works.
Okay will buy a new thermostat tomorrow & fit it and see what happens. Will keep you posted @panic-mechanic. Thanks a lot Image

Shadows101Fall
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 9 months

Post by Shadows101Fall »

If you remove the thermostat you have to clamp the pipe that goes from the top flange to the waterpump, but that's not a fix, get a working thermostat, submerge yours in hot enough water to see if it opens correctly.
I buy broken/smashed/written off cars

Current: 2005 Alfa Romeo GT 1.9 JTDm
Ex: 2014 Nissan NP200 1.6i - meh.. Sold
Ex: 2000 Alfa Romeo GTV 3.0 Sold http://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=197077
Ex:1980 2 door mk1 build thread Sold http://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=192831

vansboyK
Enlisted

Post by vansboyK »

Shadows101Fall wrote:If you remove the thermostat you have to clamp the pipe that goes from the top flange to the waterpump, but that's not a fix, get a working thermostat, submerge yours in hot enough water to see if it opens correctly.
The thermostat I've got is basically new...I've tested in a cup of boiled water & it seemed to open properly...and starting closing seconds after I removed it from water. So it is opening & closing that I know for sure. But like I said I'll buy a new one tomorrow, fit it in and see what happens.

missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

If you take the thermostat out the car will boil and pop the head gasket.

My idiot friend did it to his and my other mates golf in a weekend. Guess who had to clean up their mess.

The pipe that runs from the pump up past the alternator to the top pipe bypasses the radiator. The thermostats job is to close it off when the car warms up and the radiator comes into play. If the thermostat is removed that pipe is open when the engine is hot allowing super heated coolant to circulate back into the motor, this will quickly boil the motor.

The fan will kick in way too late also, as the thermoswitch for the fan is located on the radiator and not near the engine. With the coolant bypassing the radiator instead of circulating through it the coolant doesn't reach the correct temp until its way too late for the engine.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+