Yaris sedan tow bar question

Rourke
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Yaris sedan tow bar question

Post by Rourke »

Hi Guys

So i have a 2009 yaris sedan . was thinking of fitting a tow bar at the back.

whats the best place and how much do they go for fitted?

is it best to go reputable dealer like superquick? or can some1 just fab me 1 and fit?

Kind Regards
MrMazda
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 8 months

Re: Yaris sedan tow bar question

Post by MrMazda »

Where are you based? most tyre places can fit Bosal unit. On East Rand try Rhino Bar in Brakpan good quality cheaper than Bosal. It's best to get SABASapproved TB such as above etc.
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 13 years
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

+1 on what Mr Mazda said.

Check prices with Supa Quick.
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
Rourke
Cadet

Post by Rourke »

HI

Thanks mr masda im in limpopo.

Now why would 1 want a SABS aproved TB ? Is there a law? any repocussions? As we all know people out there are using home made A frames to tow cars ? this to me is more or less the same thing?

Regards
Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 4 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Post by Jetta2 »

Your insurance company will love you long time if you are in any sort of accident (even when not towing anything) and there is not an SABS approved towbar fitted.
Rather just get a proper towbar fitted instead of trying to save a few pennies by having one made by Koos or Frikkie in their backyard.
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
Rourke
Cadet

Post by Rourke »

Jetta 2

I currently have no insurance on the car.

Does it effect the 3rd parties insurance if they bumped my car?
ICE King
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo GTI 20V , Mazdarati

Post by ICE King »

Rourke wrote:HI

Thanks mr masda im in limpopo.

Now why would 1 want a SABS aproved TB ? Is there a law? any repocussions? As we all know people out there are using home made A frames to tow cars ? this to me is more or less the same thing?

Regards
Nope, not more or less the same thing and yes there's laws with regards to towing.

The bosal units are rated and tested when made as opposed to Home made which is actually illegal on the road so yeah should an accident occur , you automatically in the wrong.
1992 Mazda 323 B3 - Masala Mods
2008 VW POLO GTI - 76mm DP + 63mm exhaust , induction, FMIC, Thanas Tuned
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

basically any of the towbars fitted by any of the bosal/fastfit etc will be sabs approved. None of those will risk their business by fitting a non rated towbar.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 4 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Post by Neuk »

Rourke wrote:I currently have no insurance on the car.
Sort this out first.
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
MrMazda
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 8 months

Post by MrMazda »

SABS approval & OE factory approval is important to ensure the correct anchor points are used. It's been vetted for safe towing etc. I've seen cars ripped apart where home made towbars were fitted using the wrong anchor points, or in the case of a Datsun Pulsar the guy who fitted it did not use the boot plates that came with approved towbar. The bolts mere cut through the boot like a hacksaw. There are good quality approved alternatives to Bosal. Rhino Bar, Steelite etc.
Rourke
Cadet

Post by Rourke »

Thanks alot guys

Its Clear that i will have to use Approved tow bars thats for sure.

Regards
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Neuk »

It is also clear that you shouldn't be driving the car until you sort your insurance out.
Current Garage:

Previous Garage:
Rourke
Cadet

Post by Rourke »

Yes nuek

it is true . will see what the future holds as i have had 8 cars all second hand some older than others and i have never had insurance.

Made a accident with the 325 i had luckaly it was not too bad.

not all of us can afford to be tied down month after month. I have no cellphone contracts , never had . never bought a car on finance either.

thanks
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

or at least third party ...
So that you don't have to pay for the repairs on somebody else's car..
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Neuk »

If you can't afford insurance, at least 3rd party and personal liability, please don't buy a car to use on public roads. It has nothing to do with being tied down monthly, it is you being completely irresponsible and putting others in completely unnecessary risk.
Current Garage:

Previous Garage:
Rourke
Cadet

Post by Rourke »

Neuk

Well now im at a lost . What does NOT having insurance have to do with being irresponsible as well as putting others at Risk?

This makes no sense what you are saying now?

And as for buying a car to use on public roads ? majority of cars out there has no insurance hey. and There are many people that is responsible . not having insurance does not make them irresponsible.

As a matter of fact there are many people that buy cars have insurance for a few months and then cancel it( Might only be on second hand cars but they do it).

Being irresponsible is drinking and driving or being on drugs and driving or racing on public streets . there are many other things people do that's irresponsible when it comes to cars but insurance has nothing to do with it.

Insurance has everything to do with cover for your car and 3rd party claims against you when accidents occur or there theft or fire whatever loss insurance covers .

People have insurance but people still lose lives , what does the insurance help then?
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Neuk »

Rourke wrote:Neuk

Well now im at a lost . What does NOT having insurance have to do with being irresponsible as well as putting others at Risk?

This makes no sense what you are saying now?

And as for buying a car to use on public roads ? majority of cars out there has no insurance hey. and There are many people that is responsible . not having insurance does not make them irresponsible.

As a matter of fact there are many people that buy cars have insurance for a few months and then cancel it( Might only be on second hand cars but they do it).

Being irresponsible is drinking and driving or being on drugs and driving or racing on public streets . there are many other things people do that's irresponsible when it comes to cars but insurance has nothing to do with it.

Insurance has everything to do with cover for your car and 3rd party claims against you when accidents occur or there theft or fire whatever loss insurance covers .

People have insurance but people still lose lives , what does the insurance help then?
Please explain to me how having no insurance, to at least cover whatever financial disaster you cause, in the event that you are responsible for an accident, is not being irresponsible? I am genuinely fascinated in your answer...
Current Garage:

Previous Garage:
Rourke
Cadet

Post by Rourke »

Yes Neuk i will

As a person if you cause anydamage to a persons property you must take responsibility and be liable for the other persons loss .

If you as a person do that than you are responsible ( I have done that when i bumped a jetta but like i said it was not that bad).

I still believe being irresponsible is a whole other ball game, if i can use it in a accident situation is that there are alot of people that are the cause of accidents then they want to deny it or they flie from the scene that is IRRESPONSIBLE.

NOT having insurance to cover or not having the money is another issue on its own . Cos anyway not being financially fit these days are part of alot of peoples lives even though they have cars.

im not living lavishly but i am trying to upgrade my standard of living step by step and insurance as i have said i want to look into.

Just remember not all of us can afford it and not all of us can be millionaires either , thank your lucky stars if you are ok financially or well off.

cheers
Boost
Lieutenant
Registered for: 10 years 4 months
Car Model: Caddy pickup
Membership No: 1921

Post by Boost »

Scenario...

Yaris boss installs Wongping tow-bar made by Piet in his back yard. Piet doesn't really know automotive wiring but is boss with insulation tape.

Yay towbar fitted.

A couple of days later Yaris is parked next to an expensive car. Lets say Merc S class. Not super but still bloody expensive.

Piets boss insulation job creates a short and Yaris starts burning, Sets the Merc alight too and a few other cars prior to our "excellent" response times from our fire department.

Just putting yourself in this possible scenario would tie you down monthly by the insurance companies having sued you for many many many years to come.

3rd party insurance is cheap compared to what can happen to you.
Current: 2008 VW Caddy R-Line 20V BIG T :driving:
2009 CW 9n3 Polo Gti
2012 Holden Captiva 2.2d LX
Ex:
2011 Holden Cruze Equipe
2010 Great Wall V240 Ute
2017 Chev Captiva 2.2d LT daily
2000 Vw Citi 1.6i
2013 GW Audi A3 Sportback 1.8TFSI SE S-Tronic (POS)
2006 Volvo S40 T5
2004 Nissan 350Z Coupe
2000 VW Golf 4 GTI (247wKw @ 1.3bar)
2007 Fiat Grande Punto
1994 Fiat Uno Turbo
1994 Fiat Uno Pacer
Rourke
Cadet

Post by Rourke »

Yeah i agree.

So where does get personall liablity insurance and rd party insurance? any advise? more or less costs per month.

What does it cover ?
Boost
Lieutenant
Registered for: 10 years 4 months
Car Model: Caddy pickup
Membership No: 1921

Post by Boost »

Just give any of these companies like Outsurance or whoever a call and ask then to quote you on 3rd party insurance. Compare a few quotes and make a pick.

My Caddy is on 3rd party insurance because it only does like a 1000km per year. It costs me R108 a month. Covered for fire theft and 3rd party.
Current: 2008 VW Caddy R-Line 20V BIG T :driving:
2009 CW 9n3 Polo Gti
2012 Holden Captiva 2.2d LX
Ex:
2011 Holden Cruze Equipe
2010 Great Wall V240 Ute
2017 Chev Captiva 2.2d LT daily
2000 Vw Citi 1.6i
2013 GW Audi A3 Sportback 1.8TFSI SE S-Tronic (POS)
2006 Volvo S40 T5
2004 Nissan 350Z Coupe
2000 VW Golf 4 GTI (247wKw @ 1.3bar)
2007 Fiat Grande Punto
1994 Fiat Uno Turbo
1994 Fiat Uno Pacer
Rourke
Cadet

Post by Rourke »

and what does personal liability cover?

3rd party cover is what axactly?

thanks guys
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Neuk »

Rourke wrote:Yes Neuk i will

As a person if you cause anydamage to a persons property you must take responsibility and be liable for the other persons loss .

If you as a person do that than you are responsible ( I have done that when i bumped a jetta but like i said it was not that bad).

I still believe being irresponsible is a whole other ball game, if i can use it in a accident situation is that there are alot of people that are the cause of accidents then they want to deny it or they flie from the scene that is IRRESPONSIBLE.

NOT having insurance to cover or not having the money is another issue on its own . Cos anyway not being financially fit these days are part of alot of peoples lives even though they have cars.

im not living lavishly but i am trying to upgrade my standard of living step by step and insurance as i have said i want to look into.

Just remember not all of us can afford it and not all of us can be millionaires either , thank your lucky stars if you are ok financially or well off.

cheers
We'll have to agree to disagree, not being adequately covered in the case of an accident is irresponsible, at least for 3rd party claims. It is very admirable that you will not deny responsibility but settling someones else's vehicle replacement or even worse medical bills because you have no insurance or little to no savings, is another matter altogether. It is not about being financially fit, it is about being financially responsible, 3rd party insurance doesn't cost much these days...

You can contact Neil Russouw from Amacus on this forum, he handles my and many others insurance needs, from simple 3rd party to fully comprehensive to track day cover to household content to building insurance.
Current Garage:

Previous Garage:
ICE King
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Model: Polo GTI 20V , Mazdarati

Post by ICE King »

Example - I currently have 3rd party , fire/Theft & personal liability on my Mazda 323 , Monthly premium is R175 Insured sum R20k

3rd party and personal liability is to cover yourself in the event of a accident due to you.

3rd party - Repair of the next persons vehicle due to your negligence
Personal Liability - Damage to the next persons loss e.g. Ride into a wall , Hospital bills etc......

Anyway back to the towbar story, :yawn:
1992 Mazda 323 B3 - Masala Mods
2008 VW POLO GTI - 76mm DP + 63mm exhaust , induction, FMIC, Thanas Tuned
Rourke
Cadet

Post by Rourke »

ok thanks guys

will look into it

I think the tow bar story is covered thanks guys

So difference between comprehensive and this personal 3rd party insurance? Please explain guys as im not clued up

Also What PMD/ How good is it?

regards