Replace ignition barrel Citi Golf

175SBU
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 7 months
Car Model: MK1 1.4i, MK2 CSi

Replace ignition barrel Citi Golf

Post by 175SBU »

Locate these on the steering cover, both sides.

Unscrew both sides.

Now remove the hooter by pulling out,

Unplug the hooter wires

Time to use your 24 socket.

Pull your steering out and remove the ignition cover with a star screw driver.

Pull the cover near the cluster with both hands, pull it gently towards you, this will expose this section.

Also remember to unscrew the 3 flat screws with a flat screw driver, these holds your indicator and wiper switches.
You can start to unplug the plugs on both sides.

Now pull the switches towards you.
As you see this thing was done before by the previous owner.

Now use 6 allen key to make the barrel loose.

Remove key reader by twisting it.

Its time to use a bearing puller if you have one. You might struggle a bit if you dont have one unless if you have done this many a times and you have found another way.

Remove the barrel, flip it around and look at it from behind, you will see a small screw that holds your ignition switch, unscrew to remove your ignition switch.

The reason i did this work was that my ignition broke as you can see that pipi there, i would turn the key but nothing happened.

Now its time to put the new barrel in.
Start with the ignition switch and the ignition, i will cover how to remove the key barrel later.

The reassembly is opposite except that you dont need the bearing puller anymore, put the 24 nut back and screw, the barrel will be pushed back.

Don't forget to put the spring back else your bearing will crush. :twisted:

I hope this will help someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Re: Replace ignition barrel Citi Golf

Post by missioner »

Nice guide.

One thing, I normally pull the steering wheel space sleeve off separately to avoid damage to the bearing and housing.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
175SBU
Cadet

Post by 175SBU »

Thanks

Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 13 years
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

Awesome guide.
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 14 years
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Post by PapaJo »

Awesome!!
Rourke
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by Rourke »

Hey Guys

IF I can remember i bought a velo body 1nc . They lost the keys .

We Took out the ignition berrel without taking of the steering wheel. IF im Correct on this?

I had to go cut a key with the berrel.

Thanks
UDC
Colonel
Registered for: 17 years 3 months
Membership No: 1041

Post by UDC »

yes you can remove the actual ignition barrel without taking out the steering, you drill a hole in a specific spot, press the clip and the barrel comes out. But to change the ignition switch you have to remove the steering etc and the ignition housing to open that tiny little screw at the back holding the switch to the ignition housing.
175SBU
Cadet

Post by 175SBU »

UDC wrote:yes you can remove the actual ignition barrel without taking out the steering, you drill a hole in a specific spot, press the clip and the barrel comes out. But to change the ignition switch you have to remove the steering etc and the ignition housing to open that tiny little screw at the back holding the switch to the ignition housing.
That little guy over there:

NAT MOSS
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 1 month

Post by NAT MOSS »

MUCH EASIER WAY TO REMOVE IGNITION SWITCH
MARCH 2020

You have to remove all the wiring to the indicators and the immobiliser needs to be twisted off as stated above

Don't use bearing puller

NOW UNDO THE BOLT HOLDING THE STEERING COLUMN TO THE UNIVERSAL JOINT at the FLOOR UNDRE the BRAKE...WITHDRAW THE BOLT

THEN PULL THE ENTIRE COLUMN OUT..(steering replaced with steering bolt tightened )

..NO NEED TO USE BEARING PULLERS TO GET COLLAR OFF THE COLUMN ( VERY DIFFICULT PRESS FITTED )

Once columb removed you Now you have access to the little screw holding ignition switch

Replace column aligning the notch in the spline with the bolt hole in the universal joint and slide bolt back