Wind noise at front passenger side windscreen or door - Polo 1.2 Tsi

Dale
Lieutenant
Registered for: 21 years 8 months

Wind noise at front passenger side windscreen or door - Polo 1.2 Tsi

Post by Dale »

Hi guys,

A family member purchased this car new. First drive on the highway I noticed wind noise coming from the the front passenger side.

I cant make head or tail if it is from the windscreen post or door. The car has been to the dealership 3 times where the door rubber have been replaced but noise is still there. Last verdict was it is a factory fault and nothing can be done about it. Has anyone else who owns this model experienced this? Any help will be appreciated.

While on this model topic, when driving downhill, foot off the accelerator, the car doesnt stay in say fifth gear but gears down to 3rd and stay there - is this normal? Petrol saving technology?

Thanks.
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Membership No: 2033

Re: Wind noise at front passenger side windscreen or door - Polo 1.2 Tsi

Post by Howie-WP »

For the wind noise, I'd use some tape to tape up over the door seems and slowly remove pieces to try and identify the location of the noise and then attempt to fix. Dealership will not do this and it will take some effort on your part
turbowheelchair
Cadet
Registered for: 7 years 1 month
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Golf MK5 2.0 TFSi

Post by turbowheelchair »

while i was still working for VW, we got a few people come and complain about that wind noise, 100% of the time they left with the same poblem.

dont know anything about the gear stuff though.
Dale
Lieutenant

Post by Dale »

Thanks for the info, found a few posts here as well with the mk7's golfs, same issue.
smitbrandon
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 6 months

Post by smitbrandon »

Yeah my a3 makes a wind noise now and then but it's just a sealing issue with the rubbers used. However has a great way to find the spot I might just do it myself. I assume your polo is a/t? Never heard of other jumping to third before?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
smitbrandon
Enlisted

Post by smitbrandon »

I meant to say Howie has a great idea, sorry auto correct real pain in the pooper-kas

Dale
Lieutenant

Post by Dale »

smitbrandon wrote:Yeah my a3 makes a wind noise now and then but it's just a sealing issue with the rubbers used. However has a great way to find the spot I might just do it myself. I assume your polo is a/t? Never heard of other jumping to third before?

Yip, A/T. Happily cruzing along on golf club terrace, third of the way downhill before Hyperama, hinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn, until you step on accelerator again. Weirdest thing ever.
smitbrandon
Enlisted

Post by smitbrandon »

Dale wrote:
smitbrandon wrote:Yeah my a3 makes a wind noise now and then but it's just a sealing issue with the rubbers used. However has a great way to find the spot I might just do it myself. I assume your polo is a/t? Never heard of other jumping to third before?

Yip, A/T. Happily cruzing along on golf club terrace, third of the way downhill before Hyperama, hinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn, until you step on accelerator again. Weirdest thing ever.
Very strange, I'm no fundi with a/t though Image

MrMazda
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 8 months

Post by MrMazda »

Try bending the upper door frame inwards. I've seen panel beaters solving wind noise problems like that even on newish vehicles. Open the door, wind the window down and then bend / push the upper section inwards.
MrMazda
Cadet

Post by MrMazda »

Try bending the upper door frame inwards. I've seen panel beaters solving wind noise problems like that even on newish vehicles. Open the door, wind the window down and then bend / push the upper section inwards.
Dale
Lieutenant

Post by Dale »

MrMazda wrote:Try bending the upper door frame inwards. I've seen panel beaters solving wind noise problems like that even on newish vehicles. Open the door, wind the window down and then bend / push the upper section inwards.
Thanks, Will try tape method first, seems harsh for a car that has 2000km on the dails. I have seen Ockert do this with his piesang vinger hands before, works magic on citi golfs.
MrMazda
Cadet

Post by MrMazda »

I've seen it done on a brand new & 7 series in the WS @ BMW Boksburg during PDI. it was not even washed yet. My ex partner's 120I was in for routine service then they phoned to say they need certain parts which will only be available 2 days latter, I smelled a rat & we wen't there to find they've removed the engine for a recall that they did not inform customers about, we then witnessed them man handling the door on the brand new 7 series.
MrMazda
Cadet

Post by MrMazda »

Be glad you guys don't see what happens at final QC at the factories. The horrors I witnessed at Samcor = EISH
smitbrandon
Enlisted

Post by smitbrandon »

Dale wrote:
MrMazda wrote:Try bending the upper door frame inwards. I've seen panel beaters solving wind noise problems like that even on newish vehicles. Open the door, wind the window down and then bend / push the upper section inwards.
Thanks, Will try tape method first, seems harsh for a car that has 2000km on the dails. I have seen Ockert do this with his piesang vinger hands before, works magic on citi golfs.
It's an option to bend the door but if you don't know what you are doing to could make matters way worse than what they are. Try the tape method, it will take time but should eventually indicate the problem area. Safer than financially sorry Image