Air vent DIY - Passat (but maybe on other models as well)

AirborneZA
Cadet
Registered for: 6 years 10 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: PASSAT B6 2.0 TSI

Air vent DIY - Passat (but maybe on other models as well)

Post by AirborneZA »

Ola

So I've posted a bunch of stuff that I'm either fixing, fixed or want to fix on the Passat - the poor girl had a hard life it seems with the previous owner.

Anyways, so sitting at school today waiting to pick up the kids, I start looking at the air vents. Some of them are fine, other have only some of the slits working, while others go up and down but with no sideways movement ...... I get home and my hidden OCD kicks in .... all but the rear vents (which have impossibly small arms that broke off) fixed and working and pointing in the right direction. Luckily they are in the back so they won't be staring at me all crooked eyed like the whole time !!

Except for the rear air vent, which has screws keeping it in place, the fronts (dash units) simply pop out with a little but of careful prying. I used two large flat screwdrivers to get them out - use 1 to slowly start lifting and the second to un"pop" the clips.

Lessons learned - take your time removing the vents. I didn't break anything but I went very VERY slow taking them out. The VW design is such that you can re-assemble the vents with a little bit of patience and some very small screwdrivers (for removing the clips that keep everything together). For vents that are skew or not going up and down with the rest of them, you simply need to take the vent slats apart and slowly reinsert each slat back in it's little holder/place. Sideways movement issue is either the universal on which the horizontal blades sit that's come loose, or the actual adjuster thingy that's come of the 1 blade that's designed to control the movement.