Best plan to get a cheap battery for selling a car?

VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Best plan to get a cheap battery for selling a car?

Post by VAG Fan »

Due to personal issues, my 1992 Audi 500 SE has been standing for some time, with only occasional driving to keep the Jetronic injection clean. I tried to charge the battery (10 years old) from time to time, but it has finally died. Unfortunately the alarm I had installed some years ago, draws quite a heavy current, and the battery didn't like to be recharged only every 2 to 3 weeks. I want to sell the car in the near future. If given a battery, she is in running condition, but has several issues, so that I'm not expecting too much money anyway. (R10k, max 15?)

The major issues are
... power steering leaks on the pump and the steering rack
... aircon still on R12 and has been dead for many years - would need a complete conversion, new seals...
... severely worn front axle
... roof liner completely loose
... worn interior, especially the leather
... smaller niggles like broken window winder cable, etc.

I just don't see myself rectifying all these issues - if I did have the time, love and money to fix her up, then I wouldn't be selling her. But I've already bought the Golf Mk4 to have a reliable replacement, and it was the sensible choice. So the Audi needs to go voetstoots. (Damn shame, she served me (mostly) well for 15 years and 150.000 km, and I love the styling.)

She always had a 647 battery. I'm considering
1) Selling without a battery (not my favourite option, because then I can't demonstrate that she's in running condition)
2) Buying the cheapest battery I can find - but this means I'm selling her with a mis-matched battery
3) Trying to find a decent used battery - but how do I know what I'm getting...

What would you guys advise?
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 13 years
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Re: Best plan to get a cheap battery for selling a car?

Post by Unobeat »

What a shame, sounds like a nice gem of a car.
Anyhow, I am sure if you shop around, you can pick a reasonable priced battery.

What is your budget, you can buy a Midas branded battery in the right and you should be less than the known brands out there.
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

Probe has some cheap batteries.. or u can visit places like battery center, they sell second hand batteries with 6months guarantee

Sent from my SM-G531H using Tapatalk
When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
MrMazda
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 8 months

Post by MrMazda »

Midas batteries are sourced from First National Batteries so its the same as an Exide or Raylite just with Midas stickers. Exide ex Tasmaya Wholesalers in Boksburg is cheaper than Midas. also look for Duratec (good quality) and cheaper than Midas or Dixon.
VAG Fan
Lieutenant

Post by VAG Fan »

Unobeat:
Thanks for the advice. Ideally, I'd like to limit my expenses to only a couple of 100 bucks, to move her out the gate. Of course, I can buy a decent battery, but once I start spending on her, where do I stop... I've also thought about re-upholstering the roof liner to make a better optical impression. But again, where do I stop...
She was a gem indeed. What I love most is the last of the venerable old 5 cylinder engines. (My first car was a 1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, which was the first 5-cylinder Audi in SA.) But I admit to having neglected her the last few years. When the gearbox packed up a few years ago, I almost sold her... Investing R13k into a car that was worth hardly 25, was a bitter pill to swallow. And while I did keep the Jetronic injection running, it started to eat holes into my pocket. The Golf has better than halved my fuel bill.

Ashveer:
Very interesting, didn't know about the used ones at battery centre. I'll give them a visit. Sounds perfect - 6 months guarantee is great for my purposes.

Mr Mazda:
Thanks for the info. I've had pretty good experiences with Midas batteries. However, Duratec has twice failed me, one of them in warranty, the other just out of warranty (then again, I'm not buying it to last).
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
Previous:
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
MrMazda
Cadet

Post by MrMazda »

We had Exides fail twice on my wife's Sirion yet the Duratec that's in there now is going for 3 years touch wood. It's on it's 4 battery since Nov 2009 when it was n]manufactured, we bought it in Feb 2010.
MrMazda
Cadet

Post by MrMazda »

Scrapyards should be an option as well, but sometimes they sell in bulk to specific customers.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Sell t with dead battery. Jump start to show it is a running car.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
VAG Fan
Lieutenant

Post by VAG Fan »

Hmm, Stephan, I've been wondering about that one. One cell in the old 647 is obviously shorted, perhaps even two. My charger (runs past 14V and up to 8A) doesn't even get it past 11.5V any more. The moment I disconnect it, it drops to about 10V.Wouldn't want to hurt the car's electrics. You reckon a jump start is feasible, and reasonably risk-free to the car?
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
Previous:
- - - - - - - - - -
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General

Post by Unobeat »

VAG Fan wrote:Hmm, Stephan, I've been wondering about that one. One cell in the old 647 is obviously shorted, perhaps even two. My charger (runs past 14V and up to 8A) doesn't even get it past 11.5V any more. The moment I disconnect it, it drops to about 10V.Wouldn't want to hurt the car's electrics. You reckon a jump start is feasible, and reasonably risk-free to the car?
Geezz
Sounds like the battery is a goner and cannot be revived again.
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
VAG Fan
Lieutenant

Post by VAG Fan »

Yup. I've never seen one that can't be brought up to 14V. Which is why I'm worried about simply popping it back in for a jump start.
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
Previous:
- - - - - - - - - -
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General

Post by Unobeat »

VAG Fan wrote:Unobeat:
Thanks for the advice. Ideally, I'd like to limit my expenses to only a couple of 100 bucks, to move her out the gate. Of course, I can buy a decent battery, but once I start spending on her, where do I stop... I've also thought about re-upholstering the roof liner to make a better optical impression. But again, where do I stop...
She was a gem indeed. What I love most is the last of the venerable old 5 cylinder engines. (My first car was a 1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, which was the first 5-cylinder Audi in SA.) But I admit to having neglected her the last few years. When the gearbox packed up a few years ago, I almost sold her... Investing R13k into a car that was worth hardly 25, was a bitter pill to swallow. And while I did keep the Jetronic injection running, it started to eat holes into my pocket. The Golf has better than halved my fuel bill.
I hear you man, its a challenge when you want to sell a car as is but when you a reasonable guy. You want to also give the next person the car in a semi-decent condition.
You just get caught in between as you also don't want to look like a tossy guy.

Maybe guys like Panic can share some light on how to get rid of something as is and also don't look like a tool to the next guy.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Should not hurt the electronics no. You sell it with the sales contract saying you sold it as scrap metal.
That way the buyer can't come back and complain.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.