mk1 golf blows module after module

chicomk1
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

mk1 golf blows module after module

Post by chicomk1 »

hi,i have a 1995 model citi golf that keeps on blowing modules.the 1st time car just died and there was no spark.change the module and car drove for 2 weeks.then change module again car drove only 20min.i cleaned all earth wires and even added an extra earth to the battery.replaced the,module,rotor,dizzy cap and dizzy.coil wire and bought a new coil.car would only swing.mechanic towed the car and would turn the dizzy when we stopped to find the sweetspot.car eventually kickstarted and could start on its own.then i tried to drive the car home,but it died and there was no spark again...module fried again.i need expert advice because its becoming real expensive.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Re: mk1 golf blows module after module

Post by panic-mechanic »

incorrrect wiring to the module maybe? there were some different modules from earlier to later modules. See if you can find pinouts for the one you are using and see that there is not perhaps one that does not belong there. It is almost impossible to do this without physically looking at the car.
You sure the coil is wired correctly?.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
chicomk1
Enlisted

Post by chicomk1 »

hi,thx for replying.wiring has been like this for 7years,coil was installed correctly.prior to this problem,my car-tape would flicker and power off and would power on 30min later.could it be my alternator?my starter solonoid bolt which has the battery wires on is loose and can be push in or pulled out.i tried to tighten the nut because the wires are also moving on the bolt,but the whole bolt is turning when i try to to lock the nut...hope you understand what im trying to explain..
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

I understand the wiring is like it is. What you are not understanding that I am trying to explain is that until the first module blew and you replaced it there was no problem. There were earlier modules with different wiring and if you changed to a different module from there on you have been using the incorrect modules for your wiring setup. Have you checked the system voltage etc. The loose solenoid wire is unlikely to cause that.
So just do the wire check. Honestly you could have the wrong setup for the current modules. So although guys always just say TP100 there are actually different numbers. There is also tp900D which has a sligthly different pin layout. Go check this catalogue and you will see there are some year model differences.
http://www.echlin.co.za/Echlin_Ignition ... 3%20HR.pdf
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

chicomk1
Enlisted

Post by chicomk1 »

ok,thx again panick,i will check the pinout for the module against my wiring.can you perhaps guide me how to check the system voltages..
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Use a voltmeter. You don't want to see much more than 14.2 engine running of course
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Pac boy
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 1 month

Post by Pac boy »

Hi guys is there a cable that's can stop the module from burning like a earth cable with a fuse please help