PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 14 years
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Re: My first car: GTi MK2 16v

Post by PapaJo »

330Tractor wrote:So this weekend i fiddle around with my distributor and the rotor broke, i replaced it but now my ignition timing is out. How do I adjust/tune it so my car can start up again?
By fiddle, you mean you have loosened the 2 bolts on the distributor and moved it or did you completely removed it. Pulling the rotor off and fitting a new one should not have changed the timing. You should have marked it before moving it as you are running timing of an aftermarket management system and it was put at a certain spot to enable correct timing and spark trigger. You can perform the same procedure as to when you set timing on a standard 16V as described here.

What you can do is turn crank to TDC mark on the front and then see where does rotor point at. It should point to no:1 plug lead on distributor cap, that is if you haven't changed the cap and moved the plug leads. Looking into the distributor from the passenger side, the rotor turns anti clockwise and rotor and no:1 plug lead should be in the 10 o' clock position. Firing order is 1-3-4-2 in anti clock wise direction. When rotor is pointing to no:1 plug lead on cap, you should be able to start and then turn distributor slightly into advance to increase idle RPM. If you have access to a timing light, idle should be at around 6 degrees BTDC and idle at 950 +_ 50 RPM.

You should to get the car to someone that can set this up and do proper diagnostic and fault finding for you.
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 14 years
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Re: My first car: GTi MK2 16v

Post by PapaJo »

Any update?