sbu.mah
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK7 GTI

MK7 Wipers

Post by sbu.mah »

Hi Gents

Where can one get proper Wipers for Golf 7 - cause I cannot help it but think the Wipers from stealership are ****. I'm on the third sets of Wipers after complaining that this things they don't wipe properly as they leave streaks of water and I find that irritating and annoying

So instead of going back again and screaming rather I just find myself quality Wipers both front and rear

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
MK7 GTI
Revo Tuned
Revo Intake
Roque Performance DP
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 2033

Re: MK7 Wipers

Post by Howie-WP »

Normally OEM are decent quality. Are you sure your screen is properly clean and does not have some sort of residue on them? Can see that 3 sets all have the same issues. I also make sure I clean the blades when washing the car.

ps: idea on the OEM price from dealers.

pps: Bosch and Hella make pretty decent wiper blades and are available at Midas and the like....
madracer21
Cadet
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Post by madracer21 »

I also find the wipers on the MK7 don't last long. I change them at every 15,000km service. Always thought wipers should last longer.
Maybe if your car parks in the sun for long periods, it will reduce the life of the wipers.

Last i paid was around R700 for 3, fitted, by Lindsay Saker Edenvale.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Try putting something like c-thru on the screen and on the blades themselves. The rubber seems to get hard. I have had luck with rubbing silicone oil on them and then they seem to be OK for a while.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
sbu.mah
Cadet

Post by sbu.mah »

panic-mechanic wrote:Try putting something like c-thru on the screen and on the blades themselves. The rubber seems to get hard. I have had luck with rubbing silicone oil on them and then they seem to be OK for a while.
Thanks panic will certainly do - I've always wondered if c-thru works or not

MK7 GTI
Revo Tuned
Revo Intake
Roque Performance DP
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

works very well. we used to run the race cars without wipers in rain with just c-thru on. And when you refresh it fairly regularly on a normal car the blades seem to attrackt it and work better.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
PoLonY
Gimme sausage. The thicker the better!
Registered for: 14 years 9 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: A8
Membership No: 1997

Post by PoLonY »

Also check the wiper arms are not slightly bent or misaligned

Will cause the wipers not to run true and leave streaks and make noises etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
riyaaznurhaan
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 2 months

Post by riyaaznurhaan »

Use a new box cutter blade and soap up the wind screen and run the blade carefully accross a few times gently. You'll be surprised how much gunk comes off...then you c thru

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Kavi4GP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 9 years 8 months
Car Make: Toyota
Car Model: Corolla D4-D
Membership No: 2016

Post by Kavi4GP »

Or clay it before you apply C-Thru

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Current:
2017 Toyota Corolla D4-D Ultimate Performance Tuned
2013 A3 1.6 TDi S-Tronic 8V.1

EX:
2014 Polo 1.2 TSI Comfortline CPi Tuned
2013 Ford Focus 2.0 Sport
2011 Hyundai i20 1.4
2006 Toyota RunX
Mitch
Colonel
Registered for: 11 years 7 months
Car Model: Polo 1.0 R-Line
Membership No: 1840

Post by Mitch »

I change blades with every service. When I compared aftermarket prices to dealers they were more or less the same. But my car parks outside all the time. Shaded at work. So I assumed this is why my wipers only lasted a year

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Current:
2019 VW Polo Vivo GT 1.0TSI (Reef Blue Metallic)

Past:
2019 Toyota Rav-4 GX-R AWD (Graphite Grey Metallic)
2019 VW Polo 1.0 R-Line (Reef Blue Metallic)
2012 VW MKVI GTI (Candy White)
2011 VW Polo 6R Comfortline (Black Magic Pearl)
2008 Opel Corsa Lite+ (Silver)
1990 VW Fox 1.3 (Red)
sbu.mah
Cadet

Post by sbu.mah »

Thanks gents - I have applied the c-thru and followed some of the advise given and it's seems to have helped

The other main culprit has to do with the guys at carwash - I've noticed over the weekend that when they washing the car they try to lift up the Wipers as a result of that they have bent - which means they not rubbing against the windscreen effectively.

MK7 GTI
Revo Tuned
Revo Intake
Roque Performance DP
P1LAYA-ZN
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 10 months
Car Make: Audi, VW and Toyota
Car Model: S3 8L 20VT & Mk 1 Jetta GLi

Post by P1LAYA-ZN »

C-thru works well.
I park my car outside and Im sure the blades take a beating from the sun, but with every wash I use some of the C-thru on the windscreen and the Blades.
Work Wonders. No problems
#Builtnotbought
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge
Registered for: 13 years 8 months
Car Model: Sea Blue Polo Vivo
Membership No: 1676

Post by lawrence »

sbu.mah wrote:
panic-mechanic wrote:Try putting something like c-thru on the screen and on the blades themselves. The rubber seems to get hard. I have had luck with rubbing silicone oil on them and then they seem to be OK for a while.
Thanks panic will certainly do - I've always wondered if c-thru works or not

C -Thru DEFINITELY works - use it all the time.

I also agree with Howie - you should be washing the blades each time you wash the car.

Here's what I would do to help extend the life of your wipers.

Initial deep clean
Wash the window
Clay it
Wash the wiper blades
Apply 1 coat of C-Thru and let it dry to haze - don't wipe it off
Then apply a 2nd coat of C-Thru and let it dry to a haze
Take the same cloth you are using to apply (don't use a foam applicator - the C-thru will melt it) and wipe the wiper blades down
Then take a DAMP MF towel (not WET) and wipe off the hazy residue.

Maintenance
Wash wipers and glass each time you wash the car
Re-apply C-thru periodically (it will depend on too many variables to say do it every 'x' months.. but just watch for a change in the way water rolls off the windscreen)
Once in a while give the glass a deep clean and decon as per above.
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

sbu.mah wrote:Thanks gents - I have applied the c-thru and followed some of the advise given and it's seems to have helped

The other main culprit has to do with the guys at carwash - I've noticed over the weekend that when they washing the car they try to lift up the Wipers as a result of that they have bent - which means they not rubbing against the windscreen effectively.

At the risk of sounding like a real d!ck, this is your own fault..... if you aren't prepared to wash the car yourself, don't complain if stuff like this happens, or if you car is riddled with swirls - why on earth would you want to pay someone else do damage your 'baby' week in and week out... :crazy:

There is so much information on how to look after your car in the detailing section of this forum that I can't believe all of you aren't washing your own cars. Its really not that hard. I promise. The owner of the last RS3 I detailed had been taking her car to a Durban based car wash that is regarded by a lot of people down here as good. Well just go look at the car here. http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=204644. Sorry but that isn't good and to fix that horrendous looking paint cost her in 'paint'. There is now less of it on the car to protect the underlying base coat. They essentially damaged her car.

She had never washed her car herself, yet after purchasing the required products and after me spending a few hours with her transferring the knowledge she is now maintaining the car herself and I bet if you ask her, she'll tell you it really isn't difficult at all.
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

riyaaznurhaan wrote:Use a new box cutter blade and soap up the wind screen and run the blade carefully accross a few times gently. You'll be surprised how much gunk comes off...then you c thru

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
While a razor blade WILL work (I'd use a razor blade over a box cutter blade) its not something I'd suggest someone without some experience does as there is still a risk of digging an edge into the glass. Most who use the blade method will run the blade over a bit of sandpaper first to round off the sharp edges, and then make sure that the angle at which you hold the blade relative to the glass is correct in order to reduce the chance of something going wrong.

Claying is just a much safer alternative for the masses, IMO.
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member

Post by Howie-WP »

lawrence wrote:Claying is just a much safer alternative for the masses, IMO.
as in Clay bar'in the screen?
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

Howie-WP wrote:
lawrence wrote:Claying is just a much safer alternative for the masses, IMO.
as in Clay bar'in the screen?
100% correct - assuming we are not talking about the INSIDE of the glass :fear: :lol:

When contamination lands on the car, it knows not whether it is glass or paint it is landing on - your glass will become just as contaminated as paint and these microscopic bumps are a) preventing the wipers from making proper contact with the glass, b) obscuring light to some degree making your glass less 'clear' c) preventing something like C-Thru properly bonding to the glass, reducing its longevity and d) making it harder to wash the glass as there is now additional friction between your wash mitt and the glass.
ace_the_house_cat
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 11 months
Car Model: Mr Bean-Mobile
Membership No: missing

Post by ace_the_house_cat »

I just paid R250 (fitted) for Bosch wiper blades for the TT from Midrand Motor City.

They work well so far.
His: MINI JCW GP2
Hers: AUDI TT 3.2 Roadster
Ex: AUDI TTS Roadster
Ex: RenaultSport Megane RB8
Ex: RenaultSport Clio 4 EDC
Ex: RenaultSport Clio 3
Ex: MK3 Polo Playa
sbu.mah
Cadet

Post by sbu.mah »

lawrence wrote:
sbu.mah wrote:Thanks gents - I have applied the c-thru and followed some of the advise given and it's seems to have helped

At the risk of sounding like a real d!ck, this is your own fault..... if you aren't prepared to wash the car yourself, don't complain if stuff like this happens, or if you car is riddled with swirls - why on earth would you want to pay someone else do damage your 'baby' week in and week out... :crazy:

There is so much information on how to look after your car in the detailing section of this forum that I can't believe all of you aren't washing your own cars. Its really not that hard. I promise. The owner of the last RS3 I detailed had been taking her car to a Durban based car wash that is regarded by a lot of people down here as good. Well just go look at the car here. http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=204644. Sorry but that isn't good and to fix that horrendous looking paint cost her in 'paint'. There is now less of it on the car to protect the underlying base coat. They essentially damaged her car.

She had never washed her car herself, yet after purchasing the required products and after me spending a few hours with her transferring the knowledge she is now maintaining the car herself and I bet if you ask her, she'll tell you it really isn't difficult at all.
ImageImageImage rather take your advise than being offended.

I guess it's costly habits of thinking that taking your car to the carwash is a way to go. Having looked at the post of three RS you detailed I'm sad to say my car paintwork looks exactly like that. The trims on the door pillars have swirls

We learn the hard way

MK7 GTI
Revo Tuned
Revo Intake
Roque Performance DP
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member

Post by Howie-WP »

lawrence wrote:100% correct - assuming we are not talking about the INSIDE of the glass :fear: :lol:

When contamination lands on the car, it knows not whether it is glass or paint it is landing on - your glass will become just as contaminated as paint and these microscopic bumps are a) preventing the wipers from making proper contact with the glass, b) obscuring light to some degree making your glass less 'clear' c) preventing something like C-Thru properly bonding to the glass, reducing its longevity and d) making it harder to wash the glass as there is now additional friction between your wash mitt and the glass.
Excellent, thanks. This is news to me and makes perfect sense ito your explanation. Live and learn :hurray: Will have to do on my cars. Thanks again, very helpful info.....
:thumbup:
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

sbu.mah wrote: rather take your advise than being offended.

I guess it's costly habits of thinking that taking your car to the carwash is a way to go. Having looked at the post of three RS you detailed I'm sad to say my car paintwork looks exactly like that. The trims on the door pillars have swirls

We learn the hard way

Yeah look I get that my original post is a bit d!ckish, but I get very upset when I see car guys paying someone to **** there pride and joy up, when I know how simply it can be avoided.

I also understand how it comes to be that most car owners roll to the corner car wash having good intentions and are actually wanting to make their car look better by having it washed. The problem though is fundamentally one of education. Or better put, the lack of education.

For those of us who learned how to wash the car from our ballie's, we are at a big disadvantange because the methods used by the ballies on their (at the time) single stage paint, varies vastly from how to care for a modern clear coat. Back then a syntheic chamois and a bucket of dishwashing liquid was good enough. But paint technologies have moved on, and so the way in which they need to be cared for have evolved too.

And its not like when you go collect your brand new car from the dealer, they will tell you the correct way on how to look after it, because again, they don't know.

So unless you come across a forum where someone like me (and the other detailers) are providing you with the knowledge to do it a better way, you will simply follow what you have always known, and that is if you want the car washed, you go to the car wash.

I also remember (with great sadness :lol: ) when I too rolled to the corner car wash each weekend, so I am not trying to sit and preach from a soap box - I get why it happens.

All I ask is that if you care about your car, learn to wash/dry/protect it yourself. Not only will your car stay shinier for longer, but you will need to polish it less (which removes paint and is not something you want to do too often), and will have a greater sense of pride. If you are unsure of anything, all you need to do is ask.

And reading through the detailing section on this very forum will give you more than enough info to get you going.