2013 Polo 6 GTI 1.4 DSG - I need some advice and help...

Fran420
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

2013 Polo 6 GTI 1.4 DSG - I need some advice and help...

Post by Fran420 »

Hello everyone.

I hope that this post is done the right way, but please help or correct me if I made a mistake. I just joined the forum this morning, and I really need some advice and help with my Polo GTI. I have a couple of questions, and if anyone can help it would be appreciated more than you can imagine.

I have been having some issues with my car for quite some time now. The car drives normally, but here and there are a couple of things that bother me and that I can't seem to get sorted through VW (N1 City, Bellville, Claremont). My car is currently on 94 500KM's and I have been having some issues/concerns about my gearbox/clutch and the engine.

1. The gearbox is extremely noisy. It has been since I got the car and the noise seems to only get really loud once the car has drive a couple of KM's. Rattling and clanking coming from the gearbox when in D - pulling away and coming to a stop. The lower gears sometimes make a light clicking/clanking sound when shifting, and when gearing down from 4th to 3rd (coming to a stop) I can hear a very very clear rattle, it almost sounds like a mixing bowl. Other gears do not do this. When I come down on a stop and break fast/ish you don't really hear it, but when I cruise it or just let the rev's bring the speed down, the scramble is there. Sometimes you can only hear it from the drivers side, and when you roll the windows down and drive next to a wall you can hear it very clearly. (The clutch kit has been replaced about a year ago and didn't make a difference). Some threads say mechatronics unit? But is this normal (like the guys at VW state) and can anything be done about it?

2. When driving off from a stop (or very early in the mornings) I can hear a soft rattle coming from behind my dashboard, it sounds almost plastic, but could even be metal. This only happens around 800 to 1100 RPM in most lower gears, but not always present. Turning the AC on does not really make a difference - it is too random to actually say. I have read that it might be the fuel line, or even the timing belt 'thing' - any advice on this and how I could check it?

3. Driving on low RPM's the engine sometimes makes a 'gluc-gluc-gluc-gluc' sound - it is not very loud but I can hear it clearly when opening the window or turning and it sounds like the engine is going under some train? RPM's above about 2200 or so makes the sound go away, but sometimes not completely. The guy I took my car to for a service said that he thinks it might be cracked piston rings, but won't my dashboard then show something is not right in the engine? No lights come on, and never does my oil light even if the oil is really, really low.

4. When driving on the freeway for instance, and I am in 6th gear on D, giving a bit more petrol sometimes makes the car do this really strange (and scary) 'gluc-gluc' and the sounds comes from the driver side inside the engine, it sounds like metal hitting once or twice then grey-ish smoke comes out and then the car continues to drive normally.

VW has looked at the car several times and they can either never replicate what I am explaining or say that it is just a characteristic of the car. For the gears, VW just reloads the latest software and it goes well for about 50KMs and then back to 'normal'. I don't really drive the car hard, I have moments but I never put my foot down and 'race'. I am too scared that I might break something. The car is under MFC extended warranty still.

I don't really know what to do or where to take my car to anymore, because I get just told the same story from VW, and the workshop I have been using doesn't really give me the service that I want and need (communication is always an problem with current one).

Any advice, any help would be appreciated. I am sorry for the huge post, but I do not know what to do anymore. I want to sell my car to get out of this worrying state I am in about it, but I cannot do that honestly with these problems that I am facing at the moment.

Thank you all in advance!!!
Carel040
Cadet
Registered for: 7 years 3 months

Re: 2013 Polo 6 GTI 1.4 DSG - I need some advice and help...

Post by Carel040 »

Hey dude is this the 1.4 ,tsi engine

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
Carel040
Cadet

Post by Carel040 »

I had a tiguan 1.4tsi engine no cav and it blew up on 30000 and again on 90000 both was replaced under warranty , the clicking sound might be coming from the suprr charger when it engages and disengaging

Fran420
Enlisted

Post by Fran420 »

Hi Carel040,

Yes it is the 1.4 TSI motor. I've asked them to check everything out at VW but they cannot find a fault and the computer is not reporting any errors. To which point do you refer the Supercharger to? And would I not get any errors about it on the dashboard lights?

Thanks!
Francois
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

It is always hard to diagnose noises from somebodies descriptions but yes typical vw these days. They can't diagnose a thing it the computer don't jump out and hit it into their faces.
While under plan sadly there is not much you can do.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Carel040
Cadet

Post by Carel040 »

Yes I agree with panic it is difficult to determine , is it under warranty still

Fran420
Enlisted

Post by Fran420 »

Thanks for the response panic-mechanic.

Well at the moment the warranty doesn't really do me any good because nothing can be fixed due to no error from the computer. The manufacturer warranty is done, and I currently have it on a MFC Extended Warranty.

=( I really just need to get some idea of what is happening in my car, and why.

If anyone can recommend any mechanic who could just look at my car to put my mind at ease or guide me in the right direction? Especially someone that has worked on this model. I know descriptions don't really do it justice, but I had to try!
Fran420
Enlisted

Post by Fran420 »

Oh I am in Cape Town, Brackenfell BTW.
8VALVE-zn
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 5 months
Car Make: VW Golf 1
Car Model: 2.0 h8 valve

Post by 8VALVE-zn »

All what you have stated is related to the DSG box, DQ200 is noisy!! My brand new box was only quiet for a month, after that back to its old noisy ways. Good luck when winter hits proper
2000 Golf 1 Chico- CRANKCASE [Std 2.0 bottom end, head gas flowed,ported & chopped by Fastcar, 288 Estas Billet, 4-2-1 43mm Brospeed Branch, 50mm-57mm-63mm Exhaust] + THE PART (2B1 speacials) -Final power @ Autotrix 111wkw & 210wnm :drool: :evil:

2007 Velociti- WHITEWALKER [Std 2.0 bottom end, head gas flowed,ported, valve swirled, 276 Estas, 4-2-1 Branch, 57mm piping from front to back] :oops: :drool:
Fran420
Enlisted

Post by Fran420 »

Really? Even the smoke and rattle behind the dash?

Hmh, damnit I was so hoping someone had some miracle 'something' that would 'something' my broken 'something' into something not broken...

So this is just the way that it is? And I cannot do anything about it?
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

I don't know people in the cape but let somebody give you a decent indy's contact number and gomthere for a sedond opinion.
Your initial talk made t sound like it was still under factory warranty and vw maintenance plan.,if it is aftermarket then go somewhere else.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
8VALVE-zn
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 5 months
Car Make: VW Golf 1
Car Model: 2.0 h8 valve

Post by 8VALVE-zn »

I have a feeling that you may not have the revised version of the 1.4TSi engine that was scrapped after it was an epic fail. Phone VW, ask them to run your VIN number, once this is done demand the details (engine code) for the revised motor and go back and check if it matches. If it doesn't then take it up with VW Germany (don't fight, rather keep calm and try to attack their emotions). You mentioned VW loaded software onto the DSG ECU, if its fine for a while then goes back to been the same then the Mechatronic unit is spiking some how (normally incorrect oil). For some reason my sisters A3 sedan 1.8TFSI S-Tronic fitted with the DQ200 is really quiet compared to mine
2000 Golf 1 Chico- CRANKCASE [Std 2.0 bottom end, head gas flowed,ported & chopped by Fastcar, 288 Estas Billet, 4-2-1 43mm Brospeed Branch, 50mm-57mm-63mm Exhaust] + THE PART (2B1 speacials) -Final power @ Autotrix 111wkw & 210wnm :drool: :evil:

2007 Velociti- WHITEWALKER [Std 2.0 bottom end, head gas flowed,ported, valve swirled, 276 Estas, 4-2-1 Branch, 57mm piping from front to back] :oops: :drool:
OOBA
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 17 years 5 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Amarok V6
Membership No: missing

Post by OOBA »

I have an opinion on point 1 with regards to the "mixing bowl" "scrabble" sounds you are hearing.
I had the exact same thing on my MK6 Golf, was only audible when you are off the throttle and breaking gently coming to a stop or just slowing down. I puchased a "turbo clip" from VW and had it fitted by a reputable place when I did my last service, problem solved immediately. The part was only about R500. Not sure if the PGTI could have the same issue. Worth a look though.
2018 Amarok V6 4motion Auto Highline
ex-2010 CW Golf GTI DSG
ex-2007 Golf GTI
ex-2003 Citi Life
Fran420
Enlisted

Post by Fran420 »

Thanks everyone for the responses and opinions.

@8VALVE:I will contact them about the engine revision and follow up on that. I don't have too much faith in them actually replacing something tho. I have been to 3 different VW dealers and took this up with VW SA, even tried contacting VW Germany without any responses. But I will try this again.

@OOBA: Thanks I will try that man and see if I can do the same on my car, maybe that helps. Your description is exact to what happens with me.

I will post back here if I do manage to get anything sorted. Again, thanks everyone for the feedback.
NicoSamChinna
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 10 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 6R GTi
Membership No: 3212

Post by NicoSamChinna »

If your vehicle is the 2013 then you have the cthe engine which is the 'revised' engine. The the dq200 gearbox is generally noisy as it is a 'dry' gear box unlike the dq250 etc. And with regards to the noises from the engine, it may possibly be a cracked piston but you would also hear this on idle, but as stated in previous posts, it would be good to take it to another workshop for a second opinion. Unfortunate the 1.4 pgti's have a long list of factory faults that were never addressed.
2012 Golf MK6 GTI
TSC
FR&R TUNED
Fran420
Enlisted

Post by Fran420 »

Thanks NicoSamChinna. I am not too sure what this would even sound like I can't really get a video of this model. I will try my best to get it to someone to look at it and report back, I hope I can get to the bottom of this.
Monstaroc8
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 9 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Scirocco 2.0TSI K04

2010 VW scirocco 2.0tsi DSG K04 conv.

Post by Monstaroc8 »

Good day

I have a 2.0TSI Scirocco with K04 conversion running 220wkw, my Mechatronix packed up and fitted a new one and 5000km later and it's packed up, the car is currently in for repair at the shop who replace the unit under warranty but I'd like to figure out why it has failed prematurely, any suggestions iv asked a few tuners but nothing solid or something that's going to fix the issue.
:troll: