Devils own alcohol injection

Mcronje08
Enlisted
Registered for: 8 years 6 months

Devils own alcohol injection

Post by Mcronje08 »

Good day can someone please assist me; I have detonation problems with my golf mk1, at this stage i have one of two options I have to run avgas, or I need to swop out my head for another one, which i really do not want to do.
My current head is maxed out, due to the severe head works my compression ratio is way too high for pump gas, Avgas is way too expensive for a daily driver.
My question is can i install a devils own meth/water injection to resolve this issue ?
My car is carburetor can this be done on a carb ?
Even with retarded timing and 98 octane race fuel detenation is still present.

If this can be done on a carb setup where can i have the system fitted ?

Thanks in advance.
chucker02
Captain
Registered for: 11 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Citi ADY

Re: Devils own alcohol injection

Post by chucker02 »

Who modded the head? Did they not calculate the compression ratio? Carb heads are so dirt cheap, I would just buy a standard head and fit it if I were you
Current:

2006 Citi Golf 2E, Dictator, 4-2-1

Ex:
2003 Audi A3 1.8t, Thanas Tuned, FMIC, coilies, DP and exhaust
2007 Citi golf. ADY with Spitronics 60-2, estas 282, 4-2-1, coilies
Rides thread: http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=183329
2002 Citi golf. ADY carb, estas 282, 4-2-1, GW delarey big brake kit.
Rides thread: http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=157603
1971 VW beetle
THANAS
Forum Advertiser
Registered for: 10 years 8 months
Car Model: AW Polo GTi
Membership No: 2035

Post by THANAS »

Using WMI won't work well at all with a carb setup. You would in addition to the WMI kit, need either a management system with a MAP sensor or a microcontroller with a MAP sensor in order to activate it, as it needs to activate under vacuum and not boost.

You would then need a distribution block and 4 small nozzles drilled into the intake runners as having a single nozzle after the Carb will not distribute the methanol efficiently enough.

You will also be using a ton of methanol as it will have to be active under any sort of acceleration. In total it will probably cost you around 10k excluding the methanol it uses etc. Just replace the head.
Mcronje08
Enlisted

Post by Mcronje08 »

Thank you for the advice, I really do not want to loose the head i have spent more than 9k on the head. I had the head skimmed 0.5mm and my pistons Is 20 thou oversize, according to my knowledge this should still be fine with pump gas. Perhaps the engineering centre removed more than they were told to. In light Of Thanas knowledge on the WMI do I have any other option that will decrease my CR perhaps something more cost effective ?
chucker02
Captain
Registered for: 11 years 3 months
Car Model: Citi ADY

Post by chucker02 »

Nothing else can be done to decrease compression, either get another head or maybe look into using 2 headgaskets, dont even know if this is an option. What did you have done to the head to cost 9k? Seems very very expensive
Current:

2006 Citi Golf 2E, Dictator, 4-2-1

Ex:
2003 Audi A3 1.8t, Thanas Tuned, FMIC, coilies, DP and exhaust
2007 Citi golf. ADY with Spitronics 60-2, estas 282, 4-2-1, coilies
Rides thread: http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=183329
2002 Citi golf. ADY carb, estas 282, 4-2-1, GW delarey big brake kit.
Rides thread: http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=157603
1971 VW beetle
bully
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by bully »

speaking from experience and a heck of a lot of money down the drain, if you go the wmi route, stay away from devils own.
Audi TT Quattro project

Ex:
BMW M235i (RIP)
Golf 7 GTI (Revo 2)
Golf 6 GTI
Ford Focus ST225 (Revo 2)
VW Polo 1.6
bru-tom
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 17 years 11 months
Car Make: VOLKSWAGEN
Car Model: 2009 Citi Rox ABF
Membership No: missing

Post by bru-tom »

bully wrote:speaking from experience and a heck of a lot of money down the drain, if you go the wmi route, stay away from devils own.
why is this? I have been running devils own kit for about a year now on my NA ABF and it works incredibly well, not a days issue.

Its like saying: "don't use durex, they kak"... maybe they fit a bit loosely on you, but not everyone's schlong is the same :moon: :hug: :lol:
....../.----------------.\......
..../._____________.\.....
../( )====VW====( )\..
.|\_________________/|.
.|_\_______________/_|.

Image Image

'A Trend is For a Month, Style is Forever...'

**2009 AB-EFF'd citi Rox**

**Meet Nimbus----EURO PROJECT**...SOLD

**My 77' HONDA CB550 Project**
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 14 years
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT

Post by PapaJo »

Mcronje08 wrote:Thank you for the advice, I really do not want to loose the head i have spent more than 9k on the head. I had the head skimmed 0.5mm and my pistons Is 20 thou oversize, according to my knowledge this should still be fine with pump gas. Perhaps the engineering centre removed more than they were told to. In light Of Thanas knowledge on the WMI do I have any other option that will decrease my CR perhaps something more cost effective ?
Eishhh, 9k on a 8V head we presume. Give us a breakdown of what has been done to the head apart from the head skim, eg cam, valve sizes. Was this a 1600/1800 head or the 1400 head that has been modified?

You can try and source (maybe special order) a thicker head gasket to lower compression.

What size bore is the pistons (actual bore not 20thou) and stroke and is it a short block or long block?

You cannot base the compression ratio on knowledge, it has to be calculated. Stroke, bore size, head CC's, cam duration and valve sizes all play a role in the calculation.
THANAS
Forum Advertiser

Re: RE: Re: Devils own alcohol injection

Post by THANAS »

bru-tom wrote:
bully wrote:speaking from experience and a heck of a lot of money down the drain, if you go the wmi route, stay away from devils own.
why is this? I have been running devils own kit for about a year now on my NA ABF and it works incredibly well, not a days issue.

Its like saying: "don't use durex, they kak"... maybe they fit a bit loosely on you, but not everyone's schlong is the same :moon: :hug: :lol:
Bruuu.

I think he's likely referring to the DO Progressive MAP based controller which has had a number of failures, some of which were catastrophic. The DO hardware, pump etc is fine.
bru-tom
Lieutenant-General

Post by bru-tom »

THANAS wrote:
bru-tom wrote:

Bruuu.

I think he's likely referring to the DO Progressive MAP based controller which has had a number of failures, some of which were catastrophic. The DO hardware, pump etc is fine.
Lol, he wasn't specific Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
../( )====VW====( )\..
.|\_________________/|.
.|_\_______________/_|.

Image Image

bully
Cadet

Post by bully »

bru-tom wrote:
funny guy eh.

Its like saying: "I was never murdered by a serial killer, so serial killers are amazing people"

DO has ruined a lot of motors. The controllers are really cheaply made and not reliable at all. The way the kit is wired was thought up by a 3 year old who spent 15 mins on wikipedia and thought he was an electrical engineer.

Replacing a 130k motor on a brand new car is not fun :fear:

Just some friendly advice, use it, don't use it.
Audi TT Quattro project

Ex:
BMW M235i (RIP)
Golf 7 GTI (Revo 2)
Golf 6 GTI
VW Polo 1.6
bru-tom
Lieutenant-General

Post by bru-tom »

bully wrote:
bru-tom wrote:
funny guy eh.

Its like saying: "I was never murdered by a serial killer, so serial killers are amazing people"

DO has ruined a lot of motors. The controllers are really cheaply made and not reliable at all. The way the kit is wired was thought up by a 3 year old who spent 15 mins on wikipedia and thought he was an electrical engineer.

Replacing a 130k motor on a brand new car is not fun :fear:

Just some friendly advice, use it, don't use it.
Holy moly. That's ridiculous. I feel bad for supporting them now. Luckily I am not using their progressive system.Image

How are they handling their eff-up?

../( )====VW====( )\..
.|\_________________/|.
.|_\_______________/_|.

Image Image

Pynoxim
Lieutenant
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by Pynoxim »

Only the DO Progressive Controller is an issue, the pump, lines, wiring etc is all fine, just buy a stage 1 kit and use that basic boost operated switch and fit your own in-line on/off switch for peace of mind.
Thursday Milkshake Crew
'00 GS2 Lexus GS300
bully
Cadet

Post by bully »

bru-tom wrote:
LOL. You've got jokes hey :lol: :lol:

They're not handling it. They deny everything even after I had the controller inspected and got confirmation that it was the cause of the failure. The dealer in SA has given me the worst customer service I have ever gotten and I have a contract with Telkom (so that's saying something).

After I had my failure, a bunch of guys contacted me telling me how they also had issues. The dealer himself admitted to me that the controllers are useless yet all of them keep quiet about it. I don't believe in that and if I can save someone the headache I went through by sharing what happened to me, I'm happy.

If you want to do WMI, spend the extra few grand and get something that has proper R&D behind it with no shortcuts. AEM, snow, coolingmist etc. It is definitely worth the little extra (although I have heard of high end systems also failing, it is a lot less likely).
Audi TT Quattro project

Ex:
BMW M235i (RIP)
Golf 7 GTI (Revo 2)
Golf 6 GTI
VW Polo 1.6
bru-tom
Lieutenant-General

Post by bru-tom »

bully wrote:
bru-tom wrote:
LOL. You've got jokes hey :lol: :lol:

They're not handling it. They deny everything even after I had the controller inspected and got confirmation that it was the cause of the failure. The dealer in SA has given me the worst customer service I have ever gotten and I have a contract with Telkom (so that's saying something).

After I had my failure, a bunch of guys contacted me telling me how they also had issues. The dealer himself admitted to me that the controllers are useless yet all of them keep quiet about it. I don't believe in that and if I can save someone the headache I went through by sharing what happened to me, I'm happy.

If you want to do WMI, spend the extra few grand and get something that has proper R&D behind it with no shortcuts. AEM, snow, coolingmist etc. It is definitely worth the little extra (although I have heard of high end systems also failing, it is a lot less likely).
What about getting hold of DO international? There must be a way to get justice??

../( )====VW====( )\..
.|\_________________/|.
.|_\_______________/_|.

Image Image

Mcronje08
Enlisted

Post by Mcronje08 »

Okay well here is the breakdown of what has been done on the head : the head is a 1.8 8v head the head has been ported and polished on both intake and exhaust ports,
I have fitted an *** rev kit , big valve conversion has been done ; the valves in the head are 4mm bigger than standard for the intake and 2mm larger than standard for the exhaust valves.
I have a 288 billet cam fitted with vernier pulley,
The lifters are coated with an anti friction coating and then the head has been skimmed at least 1.5 mm.
The head is maxed out, unfortunately due to the engineering centres miscalculation, afgas Is the only fuel fit for the car at this stage.
Afgas is hard to find and really expensive in relation to
95 and my cars fuel consumption is nowhere economical.
Mcronje08
Enlisted

Post by Mcronje08 »

I think a custom cut head gasket would be a good bet in my situation.
Thank you all for the advice much appreciated.
Donavan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 17 years 4 months

Post by Donavan »

Try using 2 head gaskets first before you go and have a custom one made.

mac?
Audi A4 B8 2.0T - Daily
Audi A3 8L 2.0T 20V - Race Car - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=205201
EX: Mk 1 2 Door - 2L 16V Turbo
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

:crazy: 1,5mm skim is way too much. Your initial post said 0,5mm skim.

A std head measures in the order of 133,5mm from head gasket face to top where tappet cover gasket fit.

Agree with Donavan to try with two headgaskets, but that will most likely drop your compression ratio a bit below the original std compression ratio.

Depending on the make head gasket you have and one you will use as addon, the compressed head fasket thickness would be +_ 1,6mm thick.

Best is to check what make gasket you have on now and measure its thickness now after it was compressed (torqued down) and then we can advise.

I would measure the current head gasket and then work out the amount the new thicker head gasket needs to be thicker than the current one to make it work. My rough calculation with the info you have supplied is that you will need an custom head gasket that is atleast 2,5 mm when compressed.
Mcronje08
Enlisted

Post by Mcronje08 »

Yes the engineering shop was told to remove 0.5mm somehow they ended up removing around 1.5 mm.
Is a custom cut gasket not better ?
I have heard that 2 gaskets weakens the seal and results in premature failure.
Mcronje08
Enlisted

Post by Mcronje08 »

I am thinking of running a 5mm thick copper gasket would that size be sufficient before compression, the current gasket is a Victor reinz not sure how thick it is after it has been compressed.
THANAS
Forum Advertiser

Post by THANAS »

5 mm copper gasket? Are you looking to turbocharge? That will drop your compression WAY down. I would go with PapaJos recommendation.
Mcronje08
Enlisted

Post by Mcronje08 »

I am not going to turbocharge.
The compression ratio is close to 12:0:1
I'm looking to drop to around 10:8:1 that should allow me to run 95 without a problem
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Mcronje08 wrote:I am not going to turbocharge.
The compression ratio is close to 12:0:1
I'm looking to drop to around 10:8:1 that should allow me to run 95 without a problem
About 12,2:1

I worked it out that with a custom head gasket being compressed to 2,6mm you can get a compression ratio of 10.98:1. Unknown values that I have estimated is 10cc for dish in piston, 26cc for head cc's.

10,8:1 and 11:1 compression will put you on the limit of running 95 octane. You may need to use additives (octane booster) or slight retarded timing.

Yes a custom head gasket is better than 2 gaskets ontop of each other.
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Mcronje08 wrote:I am thinking of running a 5mm thick copper gasket would that size be sufficient before compression, the current gasket is a Victor reinz not sure how thick it is after it has been compressed.
1,6mm on compressed victor reinz.

5mm copper gasket......no way!!!

Stay away from copper gaskets!! They don't last on high compression.