2012 polo ignition switch

thembab
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

2012 polo ignition switch

Post by thembab »

Hi, please help

I have a 2012 polo with milleage 102500km, i dont know what the problem is but when i put the car key in, it turns the car on but the key wont turn all the way to start the engine. I first thought it was d key then i used my spare key which worked for a week now both keys are doing the same thing. Usually in the morning the car would start but once it is in the sun it wont start, i have to kick start. I went to vw d guy thought it was battery but not then said car must go for diagnostic. What is causing this and how to fix it?
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Re: 2012 polo ignition switch

Post by panic-mechanic »

Please take a video of this phenomenon for us please. are you saying it will physically not turn to the start position or nothing happens when you turn it to the start position.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
NakataStijo
Enlisted
Registered for: 8 years 10 months

Post by NakataStijo »

My MK1 does that also sometimes if it has been standing in the sun for too long. It will swing and nothing will happen . I don't know why that happens.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

If your mk1 is a carb car then it is called vapour lock or perculation.
Basically the fuel evaporates out of the bowl due to heat and it takes a while to refill it before it can have fuel to deliver into the motor again rather than just vapour from the bowl.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

175SBU
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 6 months
Car Model: MK1 1.4i, MK2 CSi

Post by 175SBU »

I might be wrong but i think what Themba is referring to is that he puts the key in but the key itself does not turn all the way to the start position, i have seen this on a Polo 2010 whereby you put the key in the barrel but the key does not turn , it will only turn when you wiggle the steering left and right while trying to turn the key. I might be wrong though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

175SBU wrote:I might be wrong but i think what Themba is referring to is that he puts the key in but the key itself does not turn all the way to the start position, i have seen this on a Polo 2010 whereby you put the key in the barrel but the key does not turn , it will only turn when you wiggle the steering left and right while trying to turn the key. I might be wrong though.

I think that you are right. Usually the ignition switch and/or the barrel can cause this problem.

Themba if you insert the key and gently wiggle it when you go for the start position will it turn all the way? Try this and let us know.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
1Tdi
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 6 months
Car Model: Polo 6 1.6 TDi

Post by 1Tdi »

Hi,

I have had similar issue with my 2011 and was told its quite common, The Problems is the Steering lock Mechanism doesn't release when the key is put in, apparently it gets worn out, Fortunately for me it happened shortly after I took delivery and the cars sales sent it to a Lock smith to resolve.
175SBU
Cadet

Post by 175SBU »

1T, i would assume that only the barrel was replaced.

1Tdi
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 6 months
Car Model: Polo 6 1.6 TDi

Post by 1Tdi »

175SBU wrote:1T, i would assume that only the barrel was replaced.

Hi Bud,

I'm not sure, if it was the pin in the barrel that releases the steering lock, or it was on the steering side, However if the car went to a locksmith I assume it would of been something to do with the barrel, Note there was no key change so the barrel is still for the same set of keys....

Tip: I found when the lock was sticking one had to vigorous shake the steering while in steering lock position to get the key to turn, or else it feels like u going to snap the key in the ignition...if you give it a few vigorous shakes while turning the key to start position helps get you going....but try and take it to a reputable locksmith ASAP.
Magen
Cadet
Registered for: 18 years 3 months
Membership No: 791

Post by Magen »

Hi guys
having the same problem with a 2010 polo vivo
anyone know where I can take the car too in durban to fix?
NakataStijo
Enlisted

Post by NakataStijo »

Okay my situation has become worse on my mk 1 and it most def ignition switch. will change early next year and report back.
NakataStijo
Enlisted

Post by NakataStijo »

Okay as promised i changed the ignition switch on my car got it from goldwagen delarey for R98 also works for polo I think and wala car is sorted.
175SBU
Cadet

Post by 175SBU »

Awesome stuff.

sboza
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 1 month

Post by sboza »

Hi guys, i currently have similar problem with a vw polo 6 R 2013 model. It does not start i only kick start it. I just park on a very small stip so that when i need to go i put gear 1 and clutch and let it go down and few steps i kick then i go.

Why wont the key start the engine is anyone knows please
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

sboza wrote:Hi guys, i currently have similar problem with a vw polo 6 R 2013 model. It does not start i only kick start it. I just park on a very small stip so that when i need to go i put gear 1 and clutch and let it go down and few steps i kick then i go.

Why wont the key start the engine is anyone knows please
Go see an auto electrical workshop and let them check.

It's most likely your starter, but sometimes it's something else that wrong. It's better to have the whole system checked to be sure.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
SIPHELO
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 5 months

Post by SIPHELO »

My Crosspolo 2011 does the same thing the key physical turn on but it doesn't want to trigger the starting. What maybe wrong
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

As per the rest of this thread you posted on it could be the switch or it could be the starter. You have to be able to do some testing with a voltemeter or a test light to know. So see if there is power at the solenoid trigger wire on the starter. if there is power then it's the starter if not it's possibly the ignition switch.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

rico
Enlisted
Registered for: 10 years 11 months
Car Make: POLO 6
Car Model: POLO 6

Post by rico »

Good Morning ,hope all is well, i am new to the group name is Rico, i am having a similar issue with my polo 6 2012 the key turn Freely to the ON position but wont go beyond that to start the car i have read a few post where it relates to the electronic switch been replaced where can i get this switch, any1 knows the cost? , also do i need to reprogram the key or computer box if i change this unit
NB: when i wiggle the steering is usually comes right and it runs all the way through now that doesn't work anymore

thanks in advance