9n Polo Door Lock Actuator Removal DIY

Dieselgeek
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 8 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK4 TDI

9n Polo Door Lock Actuator Removal DIY

Post by Dieselgeek »

I decided to do a DIY for the above as I had to fix the SO's car lately.

I found some videos on YouTube but they were for Jetta 4's or other Vw's which are similar to the Polo but not exactly the same.

I did not take pictures but will try and be as detailed as possible.

With the SO's car the passenger side door would not lock automatically at 15 kph. It would lock would the remote.

Obvious safety risk so I decided to fix it.

1. Remove 3 Torx T20 screws at the bottom of the door pad.
2. Remove cover on the grab handle but gently prying of with small flat-head screwdriver.
3. Remove 2 torx T30 screws.
4. Door pad can now be removed by pulling out at the bottom corners and then pulling up at the top.Be very gently with the door knob and rod as they are attached to the door lock module and the attachment point is plastic.
5. You will be not be able to completely remove the door-pad as yet as the cable to the door lock must be remove as well as the switch for the electric window operation.
6. The cable simply unhooks and the switch can be pushed in from front to back.
7. You can now gently remove the door-pad.
8.You will now be able to see the cable loom as well as the electric window motor.
9. Next step is removing the metal skin that the window motor is attached to.
10. There are a number of 10 mm bolts that secure the skin.
11. Once these are removed you need to open the two large plastic grommets toward the center of the door. They have flaps that open.
12. You now need to lower the window glass using the switch until you can see the two 10 mm bolts that hold the window glass in place.
13. Remove these two bolts.
14. Pull the glass up and secure with some strong tape. You can use some cardboard to protect the paint.
15. I removed the wiring loom from the door skin for more room but you can leave it in place. There are some plastic grommets that hold the loom in place which can be pulled out with a long nose or circlip plier.
16. The rubber boots that secure the door opening rod and the door lock knob need be released from the door skin.As well as the boot for the wiring loom in to the door lock module.
17.Tilt the skin forward and remove the connector to the actuator. An extra pair of hands is needed.
18. There is a small knob that needs to be pressed at the bottom of the connector to release it.
19. Now the skin can be removed.Once again be gentle with the door knob rod.
20. The actual module can now be seen. There is a screw that secures the blanking cover on the outer door handle in place.This screw hole is covered by a little rubber cover on the side of the door.The SO's car had the blanking cover (1.9 TDi) but I suppose some cars could have a door lock barrel instead.
21. I used a Torx T10 to open this screw but I believe an Allen key of the appropriate size is the right tool.
22. Do not remove this screw completely as it is a bit of a mission to put it back in.
23. Remove the blanking plate/door lock barrel.
24. You can now see where the small cable with a small plastic connector attaches to the outside door handle.
25. Use a small flat screwdriver to pry it out.
26. There are two large Torx T30 screws that hold the door lock module in place.
27. Once they have been removed the door lock module can be removed.
28. If you did not break the plastic attachment point then the door knob rod should still be attached to the module as well as the door opening cable and the small cable to the outer handle.
29. All of these cable will have to removed. This is quite simple and a with a little bit of fiddling around they should come off.
30. I did not have the time or the inclination to attempt to fix the module. I replaced with a new one from VW for R1100. This is quite cheap when compared to the door lock module for a MK4 Jetta for instance which costs R2800.
31. If you are going to attempt to repair your existing module then you will have to separate the mechanical from the electrical parts of the module.Make a diagram or take a picture of the springs that need to be removed as they can be quite tricky to re-install.
32. There are a number of small T10 screws and one T9 screw that need to be removed around the perimeter of the white plastic housing.(Go figure).
33. The electrical part will now be attached to the mechanical part only via the blue and red wires.
34. Be very careful when opening the housing as the parts inside can come loose.The circuit board is the what we are looking for. according to videos I have seen the solder points develop cracks and need to be re-soldered. My solder points looked fine. If you really want you can remove and test the individual components to ensure the micro-switches and and other components are fine.
35. My Mk4 Jetta has an issue where the ECU is unaware when either front door is opened so I will attempt this on that car.
36. Installation is the reverse of removal.

Hope this helps.
Terrence

MK I Golf 1100
MKII Golf 16v
MKIII Jetta CSX
MKIV Jetta V5
MKIV Jetta 1.8T
MKIV Jetta TDI
9n3 Polo TDI
Nissan Qashqai 1.6
MeanTdi
The Imposer Mod-whore-rator
Registered for: 18 years
Car Make: Subaru
Car Model: WRX
Membership No: 1153

Re: 9n Polo Door Lock Actuator Removal DIY

Post by MeanTdi »

Thanks for sharing ;)

Try post the YouTube link, a picture is worth a thousand words they say.
Marco

Current: Subaru WRX
Ex: VW Polo 1.9 TDI Sportline
Ex: VW Golf VR6
Ex: VW Golf 1.8 GTi 16v

ALFAHOLIC wrote:What can go wrong, jarre you guys sound like you are describing an Alfa here...
My Corsa OPC wrote:Its not an oil leak, its just an Opel marking its territory :lol:
Dieselgeek
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 8 months
Car Model: MK4 TDI

Post by Dieselgeek »

Here we go.

Terrence

MK I Golf 1100
MKII Golf 16v
MKIII Jetta CSX
MKIV Jetta V5
MKIV Jetta 1.8T
MKIV Jetta TDI
9n3 Polo TDI
Nissan Qashqai 1.6
MeanTdi
The Imposer Mod-whore-rator
Registered for: 18 years
Car Make: Subaru
Car Model: WRX
Membership No: 1153

Post by MeanTdi »

Awesome, thanks!
Marco

Current: Subaru WRX
Ex: VW Polo 1.9 TDI Sportline
Ex: VW Golf VR6
Ex: VW Golf 1.8 GTi 16v

ALFAHOLIC wrote:What can go wrong, jarre you guys sound like you are describing an Alfa here...
My Corsa OPC wrote:Its not an oil leak, its just an Opel marking its territory :lol:
billionairebum
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 2 months
Car Model: Sportline
Membership No: 3194

Post by billionairebum »

Sorry to bring a Necro thread to life. Will a Polo Vivo door lock module work on a Polo 9n3 Sportline?