Golf mk1 Jerking Help

stalker1642
Enlisted
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Golf mk1 Jerking Help

Post by stalker1642 »

Hi , im new to the forum and im hoping some1 can help me. decided to join after a work colleage suggested it . i have a 1989 citi golf 1.3l carburated . when applieng the accelerator at low speed the car sometimes starts to jerk ad just loose power and when i remove accelerator it often just dies . when at high speeds 80km + and i applie alot of accelerator it will jerk alot and loose pwer or if im goiing up a hill even small amounts of accelerator make it jerk. ive replaced the roter , D cap, bogie cords spark plugs fuel and air filter , used a carb kit , replaced the kenith spacer between the carb and intake done the timing and still it jerks . used to suck air but that is sorted nw only problem is the loss of power seems to be mainly when under load and also i am getting alot of oil coming into the airbox from the breather on the tapet cover . realy hope some one here can help . im new to fixing any kind of car and some advice and knowledge would be much appreciated . thanx . :bang:
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 3 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Re: Golf mk1 Jerking Help

Post by Neuk »

Mmm...

My first guess would have been fuel supply being insufficient due to a clogged filter or lines or perhaps the timing not being advanced or something similar wrong with spark but you seem to have covered a lot of the bases. Hopefully panic mechanic (Stephan) sees this as he may be your best bet at things to check...
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
UDC
Colonel
Registered for: 17 years 2 months
Membership No: 1041

Post by UDC »

are you sure its not sucking air from anywhere

try bypassing the fuel reservior that fits on the tappet cover and test if it solves the problem, if it does then fit new fuel reservior
dirty d
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: vw
Car Model: mk2 jetta cli 16v
Membership No: 1765

Post by dirty d »

lots of oil? isnt your rings on its way out? you could have compression issues.
stalker1642
Enlisted

Post by stalker1642 »

hey guys thanks for the tips so far. thought about cloged fuel lines but i tested and it seems to be pumping fine , Fuel resivour will be the next thing on the list to check thanks didnt even cross my mind to check that . had a auto elec tell me that the oil might be from bust ring but my thoughts on that was that if my rings were on the way out wouldnt the car have black smoke out hte exausht ? coz as far as i knw the car would be burning the oil not pushing it threw the breather into the carburator . had a look online and found a guy complaiining of jerking and power disapearing when his car was under load eg, going up a hill etc. some1 sugested that he check is altenator as it might not be giving enough power due to siezing or somthing similar , any thoughts on that ? was wondering if it would be worth while to get hold of an altenator just to check coz at this point anything new is somthing im willing to try . also ive noticed that when somthing draws alot of pwer like Lights or my radiator fan turns on then my Idle on the car drops . anyway thanks r the replies guys hope some ppl c this and come up with some more ideas or a bit of VW experiance for me . Also just a fact to take into consideration the car is an 89 model Owned by a nun got a full service history on it when i bought it and its never had a major over haul or anything like a new water pump or alternator as the car has only just hit 144000km . thanks.
araf69
Lieutenant
Registered for: 16 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 2008 MK5 GTi DSG
Membership No: 1739

Post by araf69 »

Also check earth on tappet cover
my rides thread : https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=138629

2008 mk5 gti - Stealth Tuned
Ex 2005 velociti 1.6i
Ex 92 nissan 200sx 133 hp atw
Ex 85 mk1 ABF on ats cups - 122kw 198nm atw
Ex 04 2.0i ADY citi on BBS - 15.8s 1/4mile
Ex 00 Citi 1.6i 272cam TDi wheels
Ex 02 mk4 gti 19s RS6 wheels
Ex 95 uno turbo
Ex 84 mk1 2 door GT
Ex 92 uno turbo - 116 kW 222nm atw
stalker1642
Enlisted

Post by stalker1642 »

Hey guys just wana say thanks for the advice ive gotten . finaly gona get down to the car tommorow after work. gonna replace the tappet cover earth and bypass the fuel resivour . if that dnt work im gona swap out my alternator with one from a jetta3 jto test that . Hope somthinging in that list works . will let u guys know probably Sunday . any other tips in the meantime are still appreciated .
ScottiesKJ
Major
Registered for: 12 years 4 months
Car Model: 92 Citi Golf
Membership No: 1144

Post by ScottiesKJ »

Just a thought. That car has a facet fuel pump on the front of the motor which may be on its way out. So if all else fails might be worth checking it out as well.

On the topic of earths check the main earth from the battery to gear box mounting give it a good clean and check.

Current 2L 8V Citi Golf - Under Construction
stalker1642
Enlisted

Post by stalker1642 »

hey guys just an update . replaced the earth on the tappet . will check the ear4th to the gearbox thanx . also tried to bypass fuel resivour only to realisei didnt have any pipe long enough to go from the fuel pump to the carburator lol . pulled my alternator off bearing inside is absolutly screwed but 22 years makes it almost imposible to open . just waiting for the spray to work its way into the bolts before i try again to open it. also just realy dnt knw wat else to do so if a fixed or new alternator doesnt help i will be replacing fuel fesivour and fuel pump and then just for curisoty sakes i will swap my NEW bogies with a differant type just to check that as well coz hey at this point got nothing to loose haha . thanx guys . ill give an update tommorow after ive had some more time to work on the old lady .
UDC
Colonel

Post by UDC »

use another fuel filter to bypass and join the pipe from the pump to the carb
stalker1642
Enlisted

Post by stalker1642 »

Hey guys Guess wat i think its Fixed HAHAHA . i replaced my ignition coil as the pin in my old one broke off LooL guess thats wat happens when it is 22 years old lol . anyway i replaced it and the car got a little better but still jerked . i was then very gratefull to find i had not thrown away my old fuel filter . this one is for UDC . Thanks dude u are a life saver . I bypassed my fuel resivour with the old fuel filter . and guess wat . the bladdy thing works . only 1 or 2 jerks at bout 120km up a hill . thats probably due to the timing and fuel to air mixture . so thanks guys . im probably gona close this post tommorow after i put a new resivour in . coz i went to a local spares place today and guess wat 5 guys and Not a single person even knew wat the hell a fuel resivour for a citi golf was never mind wat it looked like or a part number . so going to goldwagen tommowor after work and hopefully they have one for me . So thanx all for your input and special thanks to UDC u can mark that one as win HAHA
UDC
Colonel

Post by UDC »

cool bru, glad you sorted
maddox-007
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by maddox-007 »

also 1989 citi golf 1.3 had basic same prob only revs suddenly went very high and engine cut out eventually got it started again and had a mach look at it he took off the carb cleaned all jets set float level adjuted idelling and air correction and car was fine only for 2 days now stuck with same prob car idles erratic revs intermittant go high and low and lack power had the carb off myself twice did some adjustment but all to no avail ca anybody assist?
UDC
Colonel

Post by UDC »

check carb base plate
Juniorstrauss
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by Juniorstrauss »

Hi there my golf mk1 does not want to start. I check my timing check my coil and module and got new spark wires i put petrol straight in the carb but still doesnt start.
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Post by PapaJo »

UDC wrote:check carb base plate
Op stated it was replaced in his first post
stalker1642 wrote:Hi , im new to the forum and im hoping some1 can help me. decided to join after a work colleage suggested it . i have a 1989 citi golf 1.3l carburated . when applieng the accelerator at low speed the car sometimes starts to jerk ad just loose power and when i remove accelerator it often just dies . when at high speeds 80km + and i applie alot of accelerator it will jerk alot and loose pwer or if im goiing up a hill even small amounts of accelerator make it jerk. ive replaced the roter , D cap, bogie cords spark plugs fuel and air filter , used a carb kit , replaced the kenith spacer between the carb and intake done the timing and still it jerks . used to suck air but that is sorted nw only problem is the loss of power seems to be mainly when under load and also i am getting alot of oil coming into the airbox from the breather on the tapet cover . realy hope some one here can help . im new to fixing any kind of car and some advice and knowledge would be much appreciated . thanx . :bang:
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Friday thread revival......
Dude if you have spark and it does not start by chucking fuel in the carb you have either got the cam or ignition timing totally wrong or there is no compresion.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Juniorstrauss
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by Juniorstrauss »

I ouverall my engine in january almost 10000km now i put everything the best in ae victor reinz etc. Recon head with gcamshaft new pistons 20s oversize rings main big ends bearings oil pump petrol pump etc. Was driving very nice till it start to jerk couple off days back specialy if i drive it litle hard truh the gears then if i cruise it jerks lots so the one morning it jerk again and if i pull away by the robot it miss and i pres acc flat it miss miss miss then it take and go whit power and no miss. I check my timing on flywheel on cam sproket on distributor. New coil new module new plug wires. Can it be wrong earth to engine? But my starter is turning easy.
Pringle1sUpop

Post by Pringle1sUpop »

It seems like this is a common occurrence. I too own a 1989 citi and mine does the same, however sometimes I get stuck and car cuts out on a full tank as if I don't have any fuel. I've checked feed, pumps, and replaced piece between carb and intake, distributor cap and rotor, coil seems fine, and bougies new, reservoir works, fuel filter new. What could it be? :roll:
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Anonymous wrote:It seems like this is a common occurrence. I too own a 1989 citi and mine does the same, however sometimes I get stuck and car cuts out on a full tank as if I don't have any fuel. I've checked feed, pumps, and replaced piece between carb and intake, distributor cap and rotor, coil seems fine, and bougies new, reservoir works, fuel filter new. What could it be? :roll:
Block off your return line and see what happens
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years

Post by VAG Fan »

I would also advise to check the sieve on the in-tank fuel line. I assume the 89 Citi has one, because my 90 Fox has one. Recently, the sieve became blocked for the second time in the car's life.

Here's a pic I found. I'm referring to the little perforated plastic thimble at the end of the black fuel pick-up line.

[Edit: the unit isn't difficult to lift from the tank. Disconnect the two hose clamps and the electrical plug for the sender, then twist the assembly counterclockwise (about 30°) until the bayonet fitting disengages. One can carefully (!!) use a long, slender screwdriver as a lever between the white tabs and one of the metal pipes.]
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
Shakadelic
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 2 months

Re: Golf mk1 Jerking

Post by Shakadelic »

I don't know much about cars but I've got a 2006 golf mk 1 1.4i and when my petrol tank is full the car has no problems but after the fuel passes the half way mark then it would cut out like fuel starvation when I turn right for about 5-10 seconds. I had recently filled my rank again and just after passing a speed camera my speedometer stopped working and the fuel gage now moves left to right when I turn. After my fuel passed the halfway mark now when I turn right I still have the same problem of the car cutting out for a few seconds but awhen I turn left the fuel gage drops to empty the the empty light comes on. Does anyone know what could be the problem?
UDC
Colonel

Post by UDC »

was this car converted to fuel injection and does it have the factory fuel injection tank fitted....sounds like you have a fuel surge issue.
Shakadelic
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 2 months

Post by Shakadelic »

@UDC thank you for the feed back. my car is standard fuel injection, I also referred to someone who advised that the float in the tank can be loose which could be the reason for my petrol gauge moving when I turn....... I thought it would be a quick fix which I could do myself and learn on the job but seems I would have to take my car to a mechanic to have the problem fixed
UDC
Colonel

Post by UDC »

could be related, maybe the float is loose blocking the fuel feed line...only way is to open and have a look, fairly simple.
Remove back seat, remove 3 screws on round inspection panel, then you will see the top of the float housing, remove fuel lines and wiring connector, then turn/twist the float housing and remove