Audi 8L vr6 swop

Audia3l8vr6
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 1 month

Audi 8L vr6 swop

Post by Audia3l8vr6 »

Hi guys im new to this site and i do not have alot of knowladge about vw and audi. Im a fan and owner of lots of chevy's. I resaintlly bought myself a 2000 Audi A3 8L 1.8 t without a motor and gearbox. So i went to auction and bought a 2012 Audi a3 1.8 tfsi with a S tronic geatbox thinking I could swop the motor and box. After stripping the 2012 I saw that I have bitten off more than I could chow. Now im sitting with a delema. Im sitting with a 2012 driveterain 1.8 tfsi direckt injection,S tronic 6 speed lsd. (Motor was last serviced on 60 000km checked it at vw.) With the computerbox ex. Im looking to put a vr6 2.9 12v motor with a gt35 turbo and a polo 6speed gearbox. Could any of you guys assit me or give me some info.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Re: Audi 8L vr6 swop

Post by panic-mechanic »

The polo gearbox will not fit the vr6 directly. The bell housings differ and I have never tried to put the 5speed box bellhousing on the 6 speed so no idea if that can even work.
Your biggest issue with all of this isnthe electronics in thse cars. The engine ecu makes everything else work and I can tell you that there are not many people in Sa that can even begin to make those talk to each other.
So if you install the vr6 what will you use as management? Aftermaket? Now nothing esle will work. My advise would be to find the engine and gearbox that belongs in that car and use that instead of trying to reinvent a car.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Killerwatt
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 15 years 10 months
Car Make: AUDI
Car Model: S3
Membership No: missing

Post by Killerwatt »

5 speed bell housing will definitly not fit the 6 speed boxes. ( 5speed was a 2 shaft and 6 speed was a 3 shaft box)

If you want to do the 1.8tfsi swap then you are looking at moving over at least the drivetrain, ecu, cluster and shifter. But it would probably be better to pull over nore stuff from the 8P like the cofort control modules, lighting harness, abs, etc

The VR6 swap would probably be the easier of the two. But as panic mentioned there will be some intergration issues.

You can speak to Tazo at Revo SA. He would be able to discuss the options with you in more detail
Audia3l8vr6
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 1 month

Post by Audia3l8vr6 »

Thanks alot Guys. Thought that the tfsi is n bit too much. Yes panic thought of using aftermaket for vr6. Dicktator maybe....i phoned Eddy at performance art in krugersdorp he hav fitted a tdi 6 speed to a vr6 motor but its like you said there some mods to make it fit.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

The issue these days are integration and canbus. Everything looks atbthe engine controller and if it ain't there and is not reporting the motor running nothing else works. The cluster will be an absolute bastard to get to owrk, even simple things like aircon won't work, esp, power steering etc etc etc will have issues. If you are really clever with stuff like arduino and have ages to sit and scan a car and see the canbus messages maybe you can write some module between and aftermarket and the stock system but I certainly am not bored enough or have enough hours left in my life to even begin something like that.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.