Steering wheel noise

Williaml
Cadet
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Steering wheel noise

Post by Williaml »

2014 G7GTI 95 000km MP expired

I'm noticing a sound only when turning the steering wheel to the right. It's not loud- in fact, I only notice/remember about it when I'm driving with the radio/music off. It's also not there all the time. It sounds like it's coming from inside the car, rather than outside, eg. suspension.
Any ideas?

William
Cape Town
NHB_R
Captain
Registered for: 11 years 10 months
Membership No: missing

Re: Steering wheel noise

Post by NHB_R »

Right upper shock mount is probably shot
smitbrandon
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 6 months

Post by smitbrandon »

Check your cv joints? Is it a cracking sound or a thumping sound?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Post by VAG Fan »

Seeing that the OP specifically mentions inside the car, rather than outside, e.g. suspension:

On two of my cars I've had noise from the slip rings at the back of the steering wheel that transmit power to the horn. (Not sure whether new models still have such slip rings.) This happened when the rings were dirty or dry, or when the contact brushes were not correctly placed. The noise was anything from a soft grind to a squeak. Also it was often temperature dependent.
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
Williaml
Cadet
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by Williaml »

VAG Fan wrote:Seeing that the OP specifically mentions inside the car, rather than outside, e.g. suspension:

On two of my cars I've had noise from the slip rings at the back of the steering wheel that transmit power to the horn. (Not sure whether new models still have such slip rings.) This happened when the rings were dirty or dry, or when the contact brushes were not correctly placed. The noise was anything from a soft grind to a squeak. Also it was often temperature dependent.
Thanks VAG Fan
Ja, sounds like it's coming from inside the car, from the steering wheel area.