Bad Ash
Cadet
Registered for: 7 years
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: S3

2.0TFSI Carbon Clean

Post by Bad Ash »

Hi Guys.

Removed my intake manifold and found all intake valves badly gunked up.

What I need to know is what chemicals have you guys successfully used to breakdown the carbon?

I'm busy removing the turbo (S3 8P Quattro).
Have already removed oil and coolant lines.
Any advice on how to complete this removal?

Thanks in advance
''I spent alot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered...''
vwpro
Captain
Registered for: 16 years 4 months
Car Make: Audi Quatro, polo Beast and A3
Car Model: S3, Polo Playa,
Membership No: missing

Re: 2.0TFSI Carbon Clean

Post by vwpro »

No chemicals will clean it, have to scrub it out our shotblast it.
:troll:
Bad Ash
Cadet

Post by Bad Ash »

vwpro wrote:No chemicals will clean it, have to scrub it out our shotblast it.
Most definitely gonna be scrubbing with mini wire brushes, etc.

I'm looking for a solvent that will aid the mechanical cleaning.

Tell me is it normal to have wet oil on the valves?

I'm trying to diagnose my car smoking and was jus wondering if oil on the valves are a sign of valve stem seals/guides.
''I spent alot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered...''
vwpro
Captain
Registered for: 16 years 4 months
Car Make: Audi Quatro, polo Beast and A3
Car Model: S3, Polo Playa,
Membership No: missing

Post by vwpro »

Don't think its valvestem seals, don't say its not the case, common problem with the tfsi motors it got a pcv (pressure control valve) that controls compression in the sump via the intake manifold, if this pcv don't do its job properly you will get oil residue on the valves and car will release some smoke via exhaust. You will also have some oil in the boost pipes as the breather from the tappet cover dumps oil fumes into the turbo inlet and if the pcv don't do its job you will get under boost a positive pressure in the sump that cause more fumes via your turbo into the intake.

Oven cleaner will help to desolve the carbon when mechanical cleaning the valves
:troll:
Bad Ash
Cadet

Post by Bad Ash »

vwpro wrote:Don't think its valvestem seals, don't say its not the case, common problem with the tfsi motors it got a pcv (pressure control valve) that controls compression in the sump via the intake manifold, if this pcv don't do its job properly you will get oil residue on the valves and car will release some smoke via exhaust. You will also have some oil in the boost pipes as the breather from the tappet cover dumps oil fumes into the turbo inlet and if the pcv don't do its job you will get under boost a positive pressure in the sump that cause more fumes via your turbo into the intake.

Oven cleaner will help to desolve the carbon when mechanical cleaning the valves
The front pcv pipe to the intake manifold is bone dry, when I pull oil cap there is no vacuum however when I pull the dipstick the idle doesn't change at all. Vacuum leak somewhere I think.

My plugs are getting oil led up.

I'm removing turbo to do bearings and seals.

Hoping the cleanup and turbo fixes the smoking
KieranD
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 8 months
Membership No: 3130

Post by KieranD »

Do it properly
Take it to one of the Carbon Doctor guys. Their prices are competitive and the results speak for themselves
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Carboned up valves do not cause smoking and cleaning it won't fix the smoking.
Not saying you should not do it but it ain't the solution to your smoke problem
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Bad Ash
Cadet

Post by Bad Ash »

KieranD wrote:Do it properly
Take it to one of the Carbon Doctor guys. Their prices are competitive and the results speak for themselves
I'm doing on my own because I already have the intake off.
Bad Ash
Cadet

Post by Bad Ash »

panic-mechanic wrote:Carboned up valves do not cause smoking and cleaning it won't fix the smoking.
Not saying you should not do it but it ain't the solution to your smoke problem
Got the turbo out today. It has some vertical play. Also found the oil drain pipe kinked. I think this could be the cause of oil passing turbo seals.

Gonna rebuild the turbo, replace pipes and gaskets. Still doesn't explain the oil on my plugs intermittently but will do this for now.

Opened the intake manifold to see if oil was taking that route into cylinder and found the gunk on the valves so going to try and clean it out as best as I can.

I still feel my pcv system has a flaw somewhere.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

if the turbo was faulty and the return blocked it will get past the turbo bearings on the intake side as well which can explain both the wet oil on the valves and the plugs.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Bad Ash
Cadet

Post by Bad Ash »

panic-mechanic wrote:if the turbo was faulty and the return blocked it will get past the turbo bearings on the intake side as well which can explain both the wet oil on the valves and the plugs.
I hope this is the case. Thanks for the assistance. You always helping us diy guys.