2.0 ADY - 20V T

Joker...
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 5 months

2.0 ADY - 20V T

Post by Joker... »

Hi guys i am new to the building world and would like help with building my 2.0 ady to 2.0 20v T. I have the 20v head ARP bolts boost controller, dump valve, manifolds everything besides the boost pipes and inter-cooler i just would like to know is there any specifics for the boost piping and will i need to do anything else extra to my motor to accommodate the 20v head.Car is currently running Dictator management at the moment with the stock ady motor...Has anyone built the exact same setup so that you could help me with reference as i would appreciate it a lot...
Peej
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK 3 GTI 16v Turbo

Re: 2.0 ADY - 20V T

Post by Peej »

Hi there

One thing you have to consider is the match up between the block and the head, the ady motor is a 8v motor, and the oil journals don't line up between the block and the head

From what I have seen, you can take the head in to have the oil journal welded up at an engineers and have this matched to the block

Also you have to consider the pistons that you are going to be using. The normal 2.0 pistons will work with some. Machining. You will most likely have to get recesses cut into the piston to prevent the valves and pistons touching one another

Another thing to consider are the match up of the pulleys (crank and intermediate shaft and head) , the 20v head and the 8v bottom end don't have the same step tooth, so you will have to get the pulleys off of a 20v motor as well as the 20v cambelt and 16v tensioner pulley as well

Also you will have to Consider your ignition source, the 20v motor doesn't have a hall sensor set up like the ady motor, and you current ady motor timing and ignition starts at the distributor, this being said your distributor runs the oil pump via the intermediate shaft,

So placing the 20v head on the motor is fine, but you will have to obtain a crank position sensor to trigger the ignition, and ensure that you still have a half distributor placed in the block to keep the oil pump running

Along with this you need an exhaust manifold, intake manifold, throttle body, exhaust down pipe, internal /external waste gate.

You can still use the dictator management that you are running as it can accommodate up 2bar boost pressures.

Also you should consider a clutch upgrade, and brake upgrade if you are doing this conversion

Also, what car are you doing this to? It helps to know especially when figuring out spacing, layout and which accessories to use where

These are just top of mind things I can think of right now

Let me know if you need more info
Peej
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK 3 GTI 16v Turbo

Re: 2.0 ADY - 20V T

Post by Peej »

If I really think about it, but the golf 4 gti 1.8T motor and work with that, it will save time and money, and make spades of power